DIY Librarian WIP +Redux+

Before 'the crash' I posted a few WIP shots of a librarian for my DIY chapter. I had decided that he had no place in my army, so I scraped the project. Now, after some play testing, I've discovered a Librarian / Master combo can't be beat, so he's back in! He now infiltrates with a Command Squad and shoots Fury of the Ancients every turn (so far, he's 10-0 for inflicting at least one casualty per turn). I have also decided he NEEDS an invulnerable save, but an Iron Halo is too expensive, and the Combat shield bit SUCKS, and especially so for my pose. Thus, enter the Gothard pattern Combat shield, seen on the extended forarm:

http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/7261/librarianwipcombatshield6ez.th.jpg

The bit needs some cleaning up with Greenstuff to make it look less "stuck on" and more a part of the shield bit. So what do you think? Yes or no?

http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/5182/librarianwip22vg.th.jpg

Here's a frontal shot of my librarian, showcasing a bit of my Commander Y pattern Psychic hood greenstuff / shoulderpad / wire work. It looks messier than it really is. The wires going into his head still need to have the "plugs" sculpted on his head, but other than that the hood is mostly done (just need a bit more work on the top - and the two thin vertical wires are slightly out of place, and will be moved to remain centered on his head). Oh, and for any interested parties, the staff is the OOP Tigurius' staff head on the new plastic banner pole bit from the command squad accessory sprue.

Yes, yes, I know .. "get him painted" blah blah. But he isn't done yet. You can see the glue on the leg where I ripped off his old tabard. I'll be replacing that with a roman style leather "groin guard."

Meh, tear him up!

He looks pretty good, I like him. The hood is cool, and the shield, eh, it looks alright I guess. When we gonna see more blazing lions? ;)

I'll take that as a dig against my slower-than-evolution paint time. Well, I'm aiming for 1700 points painted by September for the Conflict Toronto, so that's my deadline. Also, I had found an old airbrush that would have certainly sped up the process, but alas it does not work. Hopefully my birthday will bring a spiffy new airbrush, but I may have to resort to the old fashion spray cans. /shudder.

Initially, I looked at the thumbnails, and thout "way too busy". Looked at the second thumbnail and just ate my words, it looked awesome. Went back and looked at thumbnail #1 and my ONLY criticism is the two fingers...just...look...broken. They look BRILLIANT face on, but from the side they look like they've been stuck on a bit hap-hazardly.

Only criticism though, I like it a lot.

Went back and looked at thumbnail #1 and my ONLY criticism is the two fingers...just...look...broken. They look BRILLIANT face on, but from the side they look like they've been stuck on a bit hap-hazardly.
I agree, from that angle they DO look broken and haphazard - but I assure you I spent many frustrating .. well, okay, minutes .. getting those fingers in the right spot.

Can we get a look at that right knee?

Yes.

http://img223.imageshack.us/img223/2417/theknee1vt.th.jpg

It's a laurel from the new plastic sprues. It's associated in my chapter with achieving a commanding rank. My master has his on the other knee, however (DARN IT!)

VERY cool, looks like something right out of a codex drawing, page 17 of C:SM to be exact, looks great!

Thanks Joker! I realise now that you mention it that when I did the first model so long ago that WAS the inspiration.

Incredible! :jaw:

Makes my Death Watch Libby conversion look like that cack-handed, amateurish attempt it is... :P

Excellent, if you paint as well as you convert, it could well be the best Librarian out there!

What do you use for that ribbed tubing? I tried buying some guitar wire but found it way too stiff and I can't get smooth curves like that.

I use copper and steel wiring. The red on the inside is the copper, and the grey is the steel. I don't remember what gauge the copper is, but the steel is 28 gauge. The outside wire is the only one that really matters, so you can go as thin or thick as you like. It's really cheap, and easy. Hold both peices of wire between the thumb and forefinger of your non-dominate (i.e. left) hand and wrap TIGHTLY the 28 gauge wire around the copper with your right hand. Make absolutely sure you wrap them so they're tight pressing on each other, because once you bend it any small gaps will become much larger. Also make sure when you bend it to use either strong tweezers or lightly grip the wire with pliers, or you'll get a ruined peice like you can see on my libby. I had to fix it with GS and even then, it's still dodgy.

Also, cut it with an old dull hobby knife instead of with clippers. This way you can angle it to fit better or just simply get a much finer cut with no hanging or sharp edges.

I love that pose - And the COmmander Y Pyschic hood is looking very cool. I also like the use of the Iggy sarge head, very much cooler than the normal space marine bald-head....

The staff could do with a bit more detailingm thoughm there should be runes or scrollwork on the shaft. And a few more "flower" pieces, such as a tabard would look great

The staff could do with a bit more detailingm thoughm there should be runes or scrollwork on the shaft. And a few more "flower" pieces, such as a tabard would look great

Ah, good, I was going to ask. Besides the tabard (which has already been taken up by the romanesque leather "groin guard" style thingy) what should I add? More to the staff, okay. Like what? The standard runework of the usual Astartes Librarians? Or something different?

Anything else before I put a coat of primer on him?

some runic script would be nice.

File down sections of the staff roight around so they are thinner, apply some GS into the resulting groove, and sculpt in some scrollwork. Finish off by looping maybe a cloth or papyrus scroll on the staff.

Regards,

Hemal

Archived