Master of Sanctity Vardemis

DV8

The long and short of it is: my original entry was a Tau Commander, but after having converted both the model and the base (which is on an Epic Titan base), and standing taller than a Daemon Prince (by at least an inch), I came to the understanding/realization that the model would be ineligible for 40k single. SO, shifting gears, I decided to paint either Helbrecht (for the cape), or the new Terminator Chaplain (for the sexy model).

I was at a fork in the road until the local GW manager suggested I sculpt a cape for the Terminator Chaplain. "DONE!" I proclaimed, and thus Master of Sanctity Vardemis was born.

A week later, and much cursing over the Brazier, the model is basically complete (bar paintjob). The cape, despite the pictures, is actually virtually smooth, except for 2 points. Under the right shoulderpad, where the cape makes a sharp bend, and where the cape folds over the back of the right leg. I've tried repeatedly to correct the first, and will probably end up covering it with Purity Seals and the like (attached to the shoulder pad). I will correct the latter once the GS dries.

The plan is to paint him per a regular Chaplain ensemble, with RMM (no NMM for me this time). Freehand on the cape, front and back, of course. My question is, any suggestions for Chapter? He will not be for gaming, display only. So any Chapter will do (the cooler the better), and this will probably dictate the freehand on the back.

Comments and criticisms (please, criticise heavily) are always welcome:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y42/mybrain/Chaplain%20Vardemis/DSC01946.jpg

More shots here.

DV8

The censer makes loads of sense for a Chaplain - there's already one sculpted on, hanging from his waist - the ball on the chain? ^_^

I really don't like the cloak - in this picture it looks terrible, because it's over to the right. If there was no wind at all it'd be stuck over to the right, instead of hanging equally. Perhaps if it were more like: this it might make more sense and look more dynamic. But then you've got the fact that the scrolls on this front aren't blowing in the wind, none of the purity seals, or even the censer are moving. I just think that how the cloak is pinned to the armour ought to be changed.

You could do the Emperor's Scythes (or Scythes of the Emperor) They are well known enough for people to recognise the chapter, but not over done. If you did this I'd suggest painting their alternate chapter badge on the cape. It is a skeleton with a scythe riding a horse (which frankly would be Bad @ss...just saying).

Here's a link to a picture showing what I am talking about...

http://www.the-scythes.com/scythes.html

(second image down)

As for the mini. Personally I don't care for the way the cape is attached to the model, I think it looks odd of center. Just my opinion though. ^_^ Either way, I've always liked your minis and I can't wait to see how this turns out.

Good Luck!

In the front shot the cape looks ok, but when you get to see if from the side and the back it looks too off. It hangs to low on his back for one, which gives an odd and wierd look. Also while I like the censor the GS'd top part looks wierd. To much of a mushroon effect? might be the angle of the pic though so it's hard to tell for me.

As for chapters do something un-main stream. Perhaps even one of the pre-heresy chapters as they have become rather popular as of late.

I think I will go for Scythes of the Emperor. The "bright" yellow would be fun to paint, and I can play around with a mural of Death in the back of the cape.

As for the cape, I rather like how it's off center. That and if I were to shift the cape over, it would involve resculpting the entire thing (which, quite frankly, I just don't have time to do). I'd rather just shave off the purity seals and put new ones on, matching the motion of the cape.

I'll get more work done on him today and hopefully have the finished converted model posted up.

DV8

I've settled on Scythes of the Emperor (I get the bright yellows, with the dual imagery of Death as both a Chapter icon and as part of the Chaplain's grim role).

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y42/mybrain/Chaplain%20Vardemis/DSC01951.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y42/mybrain/Chaplain%20Vardemis/DSC01952.jpg

Replaced the purity seals on the left leg to help convey the motion of the cape (along with a couple purity seals on the back). The rough areas of the cape have also been filed/scraped away to smooth it all down (so it looks a little.."rough" or "damaged",...but it isn't). He'll have a heraldry shield from the Terminator box, and I may add a scroll on top of the cape afterwards, but I'm undecided at this point.

I'll begin painting him next week when school is over.

DV8

Ok, I have to say at this point, that if everything else is swinging to the right, then it seems quite strange that the censer is almost completely perpendicular to the ground. That and I was wondering whether it was finished? It seems to have only one hole in it from this angle.

Scythes is a cool idea, I think it'll be an interesting choice.

Personally, I think that the Termi Chaplain model isn't very nice, it looks like it's toppling backwards and has a thick tabard that joins the legs in what looks like a spot of lazy sculpting. So your paintjob will have to be the more impressive for it.

I wish you good luck on the competition.

Wow great model! It looks great!

But, of course, i do have a bit of C&C for you:

I have to agree with StratoKhan, the censer looks a bit...well dull :blush: no offense, but it just seems to be just hanging there--maybe add some motion to the pose? Though I'm not sure how you'd do that with chain :huh: .

Maybe this sounds stupid, but what's he actually supposed to be doing? I usually have something in mind that I can imagine the models "acting out" as they stand there--maybe he's delivering a prayer before the masses of the chapter (though the Scythes don't have great numbers at the mo from what I can remember lol :P )? I dunno, but maybe make him do something? even if it's just making that censer seem as if it's sort of swinging? Then I could sort of imagine him standing on a rock with the icy wind and snow howling around him, blowing his cape etc. and censer...But that's just just my vision, he's great as he looks anyway :D .

Oh, and since he's from the Scythes, maybe add a dead 'Nid of some description to his base below the "cliff"?

Hope that helps,

Keep up the great work!

SkyTalon

When some unknown frater (as in: I can't remember his name) entered the create a weapon contest he did so with knife blades on the end of chains that had been stiffened into place with superglue, perhaps you can do the same to give the censer the same direction of movement like the cape and so on? Would give this the final air of perfect.

Good work going on, I personally don'T like the off-center cape as when someone looks at it he will always wonder why it's off-center. I imagine the judges would do the same. The purity seals ont eh leg help convey the wind effect, that's a big plus. One thing I think is essential is to align the right arm angle so it points in the exact same direction as the head is pointed at, give the pose more credibility.

Kepp up the good work,

Boltman

Aye, I'm in the process of coating the chains with superglue. I had done it initially, but without enough superglue. This time around though, a bit of a semi-liberal application has yielded good results. I'll post pictures when it fully dries.

And the right arm does indeed follow the direction of the head/eyes. It's just that with the blue tac in the way, the arm sometimes looks lopsided, or shifts over a bit (as my blue tac is...less than stellar).

Cheers for all the criticisms, the model is looking a lot better in terms of realism. I can't wait to start painting this baby up.

DV8

Ok, I have to say at this point, that if everything else is swinging to the right, then it seems quite strange that the censer is almost completely perpendicular to the ground. That and I was wondering whether it was finished? It seems to have only one hole in it from this angle.

Scythes is a cool idea, I think it'll be an interesting choice.

Personally, I think that the Termi Chaplain model isn't very nice, it looks like it's toppling backwards and has a thick tabard that joins the legs in what looks like a spot of lazy sculpting. So your paintjob will have to be the more impressive for it.

I wish you good luck on the competition.

those chains are HEAVY...

i dont think that 20+ pounds of metal would be blown as easily as a seal

Well, this is slighty off topic, but - I have never heard anything in the fluff suggesting that the censers Space Marines carry are extremely heavy. Now, if a censer in real life is light enough for a rather elderly Catholic priest to swing around without injuring himself, a bit of wind WILL swing it around. Factor in wind enough to blow a cape sideways, and yeah, behold a swinging censer.

Anyways.

@ DV8 - Sounds like exactly the procedure the chains need. Looking forwards to seeing the pic.

It's nice, but it kind of looks like he's returning a faulty censer on a windy day.. :blush:

"I GOT THIS, BUT IT DOESN'T WORK"

"WHAT? SPEAK UP"

"I SAID IT DOESN'T WORK. IT'S ONLY GOT ONE HOLE AND THE SMOKE DOESN'T COME OUT RIGHT"

"I'LL SEE IF I'VE GOT ANOTHER ONE OUT THE BACK.."

Sorry for the lack of updates lately. Last week of the school year means I've been working like a dog to finish my art projects. Fortunately my the week is almost over, and I should be back home in Toronto on Saturday.

I've glued the chain so the Brazier/Censur is hanging to the model's right, following the motion of the cape. I'll post pictures as soon as I can.

DV8

Ok, here are some suggestions that are probably harsher than I would normally give, but this is a GD entry after all, so no point mucking around :D

The resin purity seals on the back look out of place as they aren't flowing with the cape, and don't convey the motion that the rest of the miniature is exhibitting.

The model is leaning too far back on that rock/icecream that he is standing on. Either shave down the rock or bend him foward some how. He just looks like he is going to topple over at the moment.

The hand that is holding the censer looks a bit off, unnatural I suppose. Clean up where you have drilled through the model, maybe even cut it out a bit and resculpt part of the hand to look more natural rather than a solid block of fist with perfectly circular hole on it.

Are you keeping the rock on the base like that, or doing some work on it to look... umm... more rocky? At the moment it looks like something covered with a bit of cream.

Sorry for suck nitpicking, but I believe it is the little things that win, and often lose people GD awards. Hopefully my comments can help you some way.

Archived