Ungluing a FW resin model

Ok, so i've just aqquired a ForgeWorld resin model off a friend and he did such a crap job on making it I want to dissasemble it and rebuild / repaint it from scratch.

Question is, how do I unglue it without breaking it? He used superglue to glue it together

Advice would be appreciated

Three things to ponder:

1) Superglue has awesome Tensile strength, but very low Torsion strength. This translates to: if you pull directly against the bond (after it's set), you're going to break the model, but if you twist and turn the two parts, you should be able to weaken the bond if not pop it right appart.

2) Superglue becomes brittle when it gets cold. So if your freezer will hold it, try popping the model in there for about 5 minutes and then try #1, or you might have to let it go a bit longer depending on the volume of glue we're talking about. Be careful though, if I remember correctly this can also make the resin brittle, so don't drop the piece or tap it hard or anything like that.

3) Superglue can be broken down (even after it's been set for a long time) by many things, including several household chemicals such as Acetone (commonly found in nail polish remover). Several different methods of application can be used, from wiping it onto the bond using a cotton swab or the like, to even submerging the model in the acetone-containing liquid. I am not sure of the effects of acetone on resin, so I can't say for sure if it will damage it (always test any solvent on an extra piece or a bit of flash before using it on a model to see what it will do). Other Superglue solvents may or may not damage resin as well, so as I've said, test them before you use them on your model.

Hope these help.

I think it will do the same on resin as with plastic (a.k.a. ruin the detail). But Ive found it quite easy to lose superglue. if you have a pair of clippers, and can see the joint clearly, just easily snap the clipper in between.

DONT use any force, just gently press the clipper around the joint. It should pop directly.

Find an airtight container that the model will fit into. Spray the interior of the box (not the model itself!) with Easy-Off oven cleaner. Seal the model inside the box for a few hours. Take it out of the box and pop it apart (if it hasn't fallen apart already).

Thanks Guys,

I Tried the acetone route and with a bit of prising apart I managed to disassemble it. Ok, so part of the canopy broke but that can be fixed easily.

Thanks for the advice.

seeing as you managed to do the job my advice is a little late. if you hang out at hobbyshops at all( i have to i work at one) they will usually carry something called DEBONDER. its made for ungluing things glued with superglue without damaging the precious pieces of the model.

Archived