space marine art

First off, cheers for the attempt! I'm quite envious of anyone that has any graphical art skills.

You may want to increase the shoulderpads' size a bit and decrease the size of the top of the backpack.

Is this modelled after any specific marine, or were you just toying with the software?

BCK

First up, major kudos for doing this and posting it up for all us B&Cers to see. Believe me, I appreciate the complexeties of modelling in 3D (and I would be grappling with that right now, in fact, if Maya would work properley. Damn you Alias!)

Some points:

• The chest needs to have more definition. Right now, it just looks like a stretched sphere, rather than the more boxy shape that SMs have, with a slight taper to the waist.
  • Helmet is too tall, and needs to facial feaures to be more pronounced. Could be just the angle / lighting, but the features sink too much into the basic shape of the head (which needs to be pulled more sideways, again SMs are very boxy) Also needs to be scaled down, which handily helps with the illusion that he's much taller than he actually is.
  • Backpack, needs to be much smaller.

Of course, some shots from more angles would help, as the extended arm hides alot of the detail. I'm not an expert on Truespace (I'm a Maya man) but fool around in the render / materials settings and try to bring down the specular, it'll remove that plastic feel that the materials have now. Oh, and a darker background. The model as a whole bleeds into a bit too much, and especially washes out the front detail on the Bolt Pistol.

But aparts from that, very nice start :lol:

thank you for all the comments. I was mostly just toying with the software, and I see there's a few things I should fix. I could change the background to black, would that help? also, the materials are supposed to look a bit plasticy(sp/is that even a word) after all, the armour is made of ceramite/plasteel

Yeah, but Ceramtie/Plasteel to me wouldn't shine like a PVC gimp suit. It'd be more like concrete, or something.

Oh, and grey is fine as a background colour, but it just needs to be darker. A few shades less than they 'grey' of the bolter and its barrel.

Eww... Truespace... you know that software's like ten years old, right? I used to play around with it. But it's freeware now, so it's great to noodle around in.

Keep noodling and refining the model! ^_^

I've got a first attempt Chaos Marine head and torso I made in 3dsmax. No way I'd show it, so kudos to you.

Eww... Truespace... you know that software's like ten years old, right?

^_^

yep. I am however, an unemployed student, therefore unable to fork over $750+ for something more recent. After this has been tweaked enough to satisfy me that it's done I'm going to try doing a berzerker using the same basic form.

Not bad man. I'm the CAD modeler for my FRC team and I know that it can take forever to make a model look correct. The big thing I would do first is fix your proportions. The chest and limbs need to be bigger to fit the backpack and head. Good reference material can be found in the fluff sections of the Rulebook.

-Your Randomly Numbered Psychotic Friend.

Archived