SW SM Space Wolves Hero or Lord CONVERTED By Scibor

TheRat

Looking at the model i see he has a turbine on both back & front of the model?!

great piece of work non the less, even if he does use CAD, laser cutting devices

& moulds, hell i know for fact if alot of you guys here had the tools he has you'd

be doing the same & probably making quite a hefty profit out of it ;)

Nick :tu:

yeah his stuff looks cool but its getting abit generic..

as for computer moulds taking away from the hobby.. i agree its lame, but its 100% gamesworkshop sanctified. the new eldar grav platform is 100% computer generated.

soon theyll have AI's working out all the cover artworks on the dex's so why not have computer generated gamers.

yeah his stuff looks cool but its getting abit generic..

as for computer moulds taking away from the hobby.. i agree its lame, but its 100% gamesworkshop sanctified. the new eldar grav platform is 100% computer generated.

soon theyll have AI's working out all the cover artworks on the dex's so why not have computer generated gamers.

dude that seems a touch harsh...

sure the newer plastics are all coming from the 3D laser cut molds, but you still need the artists and whatnot to create the concepts et al...

tho how it will work for metal models i don't know...

I know that I said that it was possible that he handsculpted all his work in the discussion here. Turns our he uses CAD/CAM and his hand sculpted stuff is not that good. At first it looks impressive but after you have seen some of the stuff it loses its attraction. And it's too bulky in my opinion. Space Mrines are already too deformed to manage that successfully.

Hmm, why would a space wolves lord have a turbine attached to his chest. Unbelievably good GS work, but the models itself is just too busy and the pose is kinda weird... I don't really like it, but the GS work is as said amazing.

Cheers

As I said over on Warseer; the man is talented, just in a different way to sculptors who work by hand, and a lot of the critisism levelled at him seems to be based purely on jealousy.

I dont think anyone was really disparaging his CAD/CAM ability. Some of use commented that his free hand isnt up to snuff with his computer molds. Hell I think the guy is a genius and if I could do that I would.

From what I have been reading most of us(including me) just feel there is little to no deviation in his mold's and that they tend to get boring. I just think with his talent he could be cranking out something new all the time( yes all most all of his model are diffrent but the over all shape is almost always identicle just diffrent detail on the horking big armor plates).

i actually liked alot of the work until i read that he did the cam thing.

Im really disheartened, i like my own conversions more (as meagre as they be) because i find that to be cheating.

but too ones own i guess

It's not cheating, there are no rules for sculpting something the right way.

I think my thoughts reflect most peoples attitude to his work... when you first see it, its amazing and breathtaking, but you see more and more of his work, and get disheartened. Particularly as you notice the very rushed way these models are done - you see the moundlines, really bad g-stuffing of joints, gaps in armour, not so great hand-sculpted stuff.....

I was wondering that seeing as hes essentially mass-producing plates with GW images on, isn't that infringing slightly? I mean sure each conversion is, uh... "unique" but the individual armour plates are mass-produced with no individuality. You could do exactly the same by casting them in white metal, only without the (false) pretense of each bit being sculpted by hand. Just seems ethically incorrect to me, as hes not putting any effort into his models...

I cant really say i care one way or another. I dont particularly like his stuff, it tends to be fairly generic the plates often look inappropriote and its generally shock tactic "sculpting" (i remember a terminator he did which was huge and imposing but malproportioned). Such scathing critisism said however, i dont begrudge his technique. Little details like the gorgeous runework on any of his space wolf armour or chainmail which are a pain in the arse to sculpt i dont consider to be what decides a good sculpter, and if i could purchase such details for my own usage to further my own modelling then i dont really care how they were made originally. In other words, contrary to what GW and many many modellers think- Bling is not the sign of a good sculpter and composition, proportion and imagination have far far more to do with a truly great miniature.

Dr Death

Yep, that's it. I'm Polish, so I'm kinda of better informed (thanks to some other Polish sculpting-releated forums).

His moulds are computer-designed, than laser-cut (or cut in some other precise method but not by hand). After gs pieces had set, everything is glued together. Actually not much sculpting here just mass ebay/comission production (apparently those are SM mostly).

But, on the other hand, he did some hand-sculpted stuff as well. Those pieces are much better.

Well if I can use a 3-D program, a laser with mould machine yes I'll use it, and maybe I sell my conversion on ebay but not in this way... he push a botton and earn a lot of money... just too expensive I can't belive that someone can throw away 200 $ for a single miniature... if you want earn money... well 30$ is a good price, you can sell a lot of them without make the people hate you... and yes he is anyway hateful,doesn't speak to people if you don't give him cash! his conversion is nice to see, sometimes a bit static and repetitive but "hey he use mold" anyway just my opinion...

Wow, looks like I opened up a can of worms.

I haven't really been paying much attention the forums recently. Just started getting that bug again and found this.

I haven't seen any of his other stuff, so I can't really relate much to how they all look alike. However I am very interested in how he does it. Even if his GS hand sculpting skills aren't the best, these detail parts are great. Really it isn't to much different that GS casting if you think about it, except that he is able to make parts from pretty much anything he can scan. Well that and the equipment costs god knows how much. If he is making parts and just gluing them all together, the concept and design are still creative...

IMO it really all just comes down to the execution. Just because this guy might lack creativity in creating new variations doesn't make it any less valid as a conversion. Heck if I could pop out parts like that I know there are a great number of ideas I have shelved because of the time it would have taken me to make them reality.

I don't know about the whole spending $150 per figure, but if he ever started just making bits by the bulk I would buy. Heck with the equipment this guy has he should start taking orders for parts!

(...cut...) a bit static and repetitive but "hey he use mold" anyway just my opinion...

And what GW does :) ?

The price of the final product is the cost of making a metal mould (extremely high) and the cost of plastic used in technology process (extremely low). Lot of time is needed for GW to cover the expenses of the mould by selling their products.

Surely Scibor sacrifices a lot of his free time to design/make/use those mould and he does it alone - that's one man job in opposition to whole GW development team :(. Thus the big $150 price.

But hey, the product is worth that much as someone will pay.

Greets :devil:

yep, 4-letter word: envy :wink:

I dont think its envy..sides they're half right yes hes got talent to make this stuff, but also it seems to be only on one theme... Marines, so it get sto the bland stage of "oh that stuff again.."

Im not envious of the guy far from it, but i don't see any variation in some of the stuff so far...

if he did stuff for other races and other game systems then i think it'd be something to squeak about.

my two coins.

And what GW does :wink: ?

GW is a company this is a man! He has the luck to have (we never know why) his scan-then-laser-mould-machine but I don't think that he spend all his days scanning and molding maybe he make some new mold sometimes but how does it cost if every day he create a new mold? he must sell his conversion at 600$ for earn some cash, what I've said was to justify the "his-conversion-are-always-the-same" the only thing that I have aganist him is the expensive price, that's because I like some of his model and I really like to have one of them to paint, but 150$ still remains always 150 (and that's is a lot of cash for me) $

Archived