Building a better daemonette

Salutations and well met!

As I began working on a sideproject to my Nightlords - a Slaaneshi paincult link, I realized that the normal daemonettes simply wouldn't do.

The normal daemonettes wear nothing but flimsy garments and gaudy jewelry, I wanted something a bit more sinister, something that suits the devotees and servants of a painlord.

Now after looking through the online catalogue for bits and inspiration, the answer came to me in the form of 2 forgotten models I had lying on my desk (thanks OMG for sending them by the way!).

The models were 2 death cult assassins. Perfect for a headswap, or so I thought..

Here's a picture:

gallery_11038_657_61274.jpg

Additional pictures:

link

link

If you look closely you can see that it turned out a bit rough - surface wise. Theres almost no space between the head and the body, not even my sculpting tools fits in there.

To rectify this I'll try to acquire some ultra fine sandpaper and sand it smooth by wrapping the sanding paper around a wire.

Now my plea for help to you guys and GS gods is as follows, how do you suggest I sculpt the tentacles from the back of her head?

-greenstuff cannot stick to a smooth metal surface

-how on earth do I go about sculpting the shape of organic looking tentacles that size? (roll the Gs around a wire and shape it? with what?)

It started as such a simple project.. please help! :tu:

When I need to put gs in such a tight space, I figure out the placement of the parts, I place a wad of GS between the two then remove the head and work on the scult. once the sculp is done slide the head back on. This makes it both easyer to create the sculpt and alow you to easly glue the head down.

I have no idea how i would go about it, although things i would consider:

- Use a flat surface (like a plastic bag that the GW GS Guide suggests) make very thin rolls of GS on that and wait til they harden slightly and slowly attach them. If you keep them thin enough, you wont accidently bulk up the back of the head too much and once you have a base layer, it will be easy to fix it up by attaching more thin rolls on.

- You could use a wire method, but still using thin rolls of GS, so you can create some hair movement and perhaps pin some in place and then use my first suggestion to bulk up the hair.

Tool wise, try using a tooth pick for this one. Its fairly small and once the GS hardens, all you'll really need to do is smoothen out the tentacles to remove any finger marks.

Of course, this all sounds good in theory but in practice, who knows :tu:. I know my GS skills still need alot more work, as they arent crash hot either (how folk make it look so easy is beyond me).

In the future, for tighter spots, try a plastic rounded toothpick or something similar. Even an old banner pole with the tip filed to a rounded point could be good.

For the tentacles, think of the finished shape not the individual parts. A mass of flowing tentacles are going to overlap a lot. Put down a large blob and slowly work it into individual shapes. Greenstuff has a LONG working time. Be patient. First work your blob into some rough shapes to get the flow of your tentacles. Wait a little while, 10-15 minutes or so, go back and clean up the shapes, smooth it out, start getting a finished look. Come back in 20-30 minutes and rub it out with your sculpting tool to get a fine finish and really sharp points and breaks.

If going from blob to tentacles is too abstract for you, you can follow the same steps with a different starting point. Work out your rolls of tentacles and put them in place roughly. Like the initial blob above, don't worry about these looking perfect yet. Smooth them out a little bit to get your shape but then let it sit for a bit.

Learning how Greenstuff reacts at various stages of hardening is one of the most important things to learn in order to get the best results. Trying to get strong detail too soon or too late in the curing process will drive you mad =)

For sticking to metal: Wash the metal completely. Let it dry completely. Work your GS blob for a few moments until it's dry and sticky. Don't over wet your tools.

Large quantities of GS are very hard to sculpt. Try rolling out 2 or 3 lengths of GS and cut them to various lengths for the bottom tentacles (laying on her back) attach them to the back of the head near where her neck is and bring the other ends to a point. Let it dry over night.

Next day, roll out 2 or 3 more lenghts a little shorter than the ones the previous day, point the ends, and attach them above the other ones. These ones need to be blended into the metal ones very well. Once attached and blended in the best you can, let them sit for about 1 to 2 hours. When you come back use a wet tool to rub lightly (burnish) the GS to a better finish. Because you are using rolls, try and keep them circular.

Once I roll out GS and cut it to length, I try not to touch it with my hands. Manipulate it and place it with your tools, it keeps the finger prints out.

Good luck.

Ardus

Archived