Angels Sanguine

Good evening!!

I am a collector of the Angels saguine chapter of the blood angels and have been for over a year now!! I have nearly 2000pts of painted minatures all to a ttq.

Problem is i feel i have moved on in painting ability and would like my next 1500pts for the medusa v campaign to be of better quality.

The first batch i have painted have had their red done by painting them tentacle pink, then blood red finsihing with a red ink all over. Grooves were then black lined using a micron pen! Looks fine but blotchey and not as good as i feel i can do.

So onto the new way, i have tried going from scab red mixed with black all the way through! He is still work in progress as i need to do another layer of blood red but then how do i highlight? Or do i leave the final highlight as pure blood red?

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e119/AngelRobertson/Angels%20Sanguine/newas003.jpg

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e119/AngelRobertson/Angels%20Sanguine/newas002.jpg

I think the first pic show the layering a little better than the second but due to my, dump shall we say, ability to take pics he looks orange with barley any layering! But c&c what you can!

I also have a pic of his powersword arm.

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e119/AngelRobertson/Angels%20Sanguine/newas005.jpg

I intend to improve everything about my painting with this model. I know the highlights are a bit chunkey at the minute and they will be fixed!

Finally i have the base for one of my land speeders, this may seem a little random but im trying a new way to do citygfight bases, which is using purple in them, basically after seeing Nephielms (SP??) display for his silver daemon ultra termies!

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e119/AngelRobertson/Angels%20Sanguine/newas006.jpg

Please be as hard as you can as im trying to improve!! The outcome of this will also effect my termies for AoD which i want to look good!!

Cheers,

AR

First off, get rid of that mold line on the ruins! Now for the marine:

The blotchy effect can be from a few things, the two most common are either paint that is too thick, or paint that is too thin. Many layers of thin paint definatley looks better than just one, but for an army this tends to be very time consuming and boring. The best way I found to get a solid blood red is to use GW spray paints. Try this:

Undercoat the model with white primer, be extremley careful. You only want a thin layer. Any missed spots you can just fix with some watered down skull white.

Do a spray undercoat of GW blood red. This you want to be put on as smooth as possible, but again, dont worry if you miss some spots, as you can go back by hand and fix them.

Now use very very thinned down coats of red/brown/black ink, preferably going a tad lighter each time. Make sure they are completley dry before doing another layer. In your case, only do the half you want to be red.

IMO now is when you should put a black basecoat on the other half of his body, but you could do this before you ink the red.

Now highligh black how you normally would with a gray. Work up to white if you so desire and want a cartoony sharp look. Make sure you use the edge of your brush, NOT the point, as the edge will give a nice clean line (only on sharp edges).

Once you finish with the black, go back to the red, and fix any errors that might have happened when painting the black (it happens to all of us).

Now highlight the red by painting plain blood red over the raised areas. Make sure its thin enough to apply an even coat, but thick enough so that it does not fill in any grooves. This might take a few layers, depending on size.

Finish off the main body with highlights of blazing orange (only on really sharp edges).

Now go back and do all your detail work :D

This may seem like alot, but once you get a system down it can be done quite fast. Best advice for speed I can give you is to always paint your standard infantry in groups of 5-10. Save that really intense work for characters.

This is only what I would do. There are plenty of other ways to get a clean red. Honestly, I think you are really close to finding that groove. Keep up the good work!

P.S. I wanna try that pen and line my armor too!

Woah, thanks for the tips there!

Only thing is i don't have any blood red spray and know of no where to pick some up from!! As gw don't produce it anymore!!

Do you know of any substitutes?

The inking you are talking about, is this actual inking in the recesses or glazing the model with each colour?

Pen lining the armour gives you much sharper lines and is quick and easy but in my opinion it looks to cartoony! Which is why im stoping!

Any other c&c from others?

Cheers,

AR

GW only sells colour spray in the UK if I'm not mistaken. The rest of the world only gets the primer. I have World Eaters and faced a very similiar story to yours. My painting got better and I wanted to to redo the army. Doing alot of red is time consuming and mind numbing. If you know anyone with an airbrush, go buy them some flowers and start kissing some @$$. I did 42 World Eaters in a day with an airbrush. Try recipe:

black primer

Terrecota or Dark Flesh

Scab Red

Scar Red/Red Gore (50/50)

Red Gore

Red Gored Blood Red (50/50)

Blood Red Highlight.

Alot of layers, but you get an awesome colour. Track down an airbrush if you can. If not just remember to thin your paints.

Hope I helped.

What you need to do is to thins your paints.

red and yellow are very easy to paint over black if you keep your paints thin and work up in layers.

your black needs gentler and thinner highlights (especially on the powersword hand)

Your red should be paint like one previous posters said,

Dark flesh, then paint quite thin red ink and a bit of brown ink mix into the recesses (add a drop of fairy liquid to your water)

then paint scab red on all but the inked areas

add a bit of blood red to the scab red then paint on all the raised areas, leaving the scab in the recesses.

add more blood red so its about 2:5 blood red:scab red, paint this on the raised area

add more blood red so its now a 1:4 mix

contine this till it is pure blood red.

make sure you keep the paint just a bit thicker than milk, this way you can make a smoother transition and you can highlight numerous times with one mix!

take your time and you will have great veterans ( the above mix does take time so save it for charecters)

you have plenty of brush controll, which will really help if you do the above mix :wub:

Archived