Black Templars Standard Bearer

Captain Hat

I've not posted any pics of my army here for a while, so I figured the best thing would be to jump straight in with what I consider to be my best model.

This is the Standard Bearer of the 42nd ("Arrakeen") Black Templar Crusade, Ancient Gurney Halleck.

Took me roughly two years to finish, on and off, and is based fairly closely off a certain GW illustration.

http://captain-hat.rooms.cwal.net/WH40K/ne...rney/Gurney.JPG

Further images of my 40K army (all Templars) are available here, or in this fairly old thread from another forum. Please don't respond to that thread, as it is "dead" by the standards of that forum, and "thread necromancery" is frowned upon- but do feel free to browse it, there're a lot of pictures of a few peoples' armies in there (including mine).

Tell me what you think! I know there are one or two mistakes on the model, and I do intend to have a bit of a fixing session at some point: If you spot anything, let me know, as I might not have seen it.

Oversized Image changed to link - Straycatt

Very nice man. Based on the art from the 3rd ed. rulebook, right? If so, this looks like a perfect emulation. I also like the Dune reference.

-Your Randomly Numbered Psychotic Friend

That's really good man. Too bad the banner looks like it was munched upon by some hungry critter (I'm looking at you Captain Hat). It brings back some good memories of when I first started Warhammer dring third edition. I loved that picture. :D

Nice!!! Thats one of my favorite Space Marines pictures BTW...
Mine too, actually (hence why I did it).

It's not a perfect replica- here is the original pic for comparison- but it's as close as I could make it at the time. I think if I were to try again I would definitely start by using a thinner banner pole and would probably bulk the Marine up a bit more (make hs legs longer, to start with). A large part of the prblem in getting him to look "right" and adding detail was that there simply wan't enough space on the front of the model, and making the details any smaller would have been close to impossible.

Thank you all for the comments- I do like my Dune stuff (it's a running theme throughout the 42nd Crusade), and yeah, the banner looked more impressive in and of itself before I took the large chunks out of it, but... well, that just wouldn't have fit the concept. :lol:

Very well done Mr.Hat.

A very good likeness to that old picture they recycled in the codex. I see on the Black Library site they released it as a poster as well. Nice job. Ancient Helvectus ain't got nothing on that guy. (Ducks as Ultramarines throw tomatoes at me)

can I steal it for a painting compo?

Err... Pardon?

Thanks again for the comments, everyone. If anyone wants to know how any of it was done (if it's not obvious already), just ask.

I actually spent roughly two years on and off making this guy and painting him, and a further six months or so planning the conversion, figuring out which bits I would need and practicing repositioning Space Marine limbs. I had done the odd reposition before, and one or two more extreme conversions, but never on anything like this scale (and certainly never with the same degree of GS modelling). I'm working on the rest of the Command squad and a new model to represent hte Chaplain Stilgar as he grows older and is promoted to Master of Sanctity at the moment, but the models I have planned are all fairly ambitious and it's taking a while...

Very cool, nicely done.

What material was used for the actual banner? I'm thinking it's looks like thin cardboard, ripped so that it has that "ragged" look to the edges. If that's the case, how does the spray seal affect the edges of the cardboard?

Thanks for the comments, everybody. I'm still interested in any criticisms anybody might have, so if you do spot an error, or think I could have done some part of it better, please tell me (especially if you know how!). I'm always looking to improve my modelling skills.

The banner is thick paper/thin card. And I don't think I sealed the banner itself, I attatched that after the rest of the model was finished (you don't need to seal paper or card banners as the paint soaks into them, it doesn't scrape off)- even so, it would stand up fairly well as long as I kept the spray light, I've done it before. The idea is that you make sure the "frayed edges" have actually hardened using acrylic colour before you do anything more to them.

The way to do that is to crease the card along the line you want to rip quite heavily before you paint the banner: get your main colours blocked in because it's easier to paint when the whole thing's flat, then wet the paper along the line you wish to rip again with thinned acrylic colour. Rip along the lines while it's still damp, and the frayed edges should stay apart from each other, while the fact that they're still coated in acrylic colour means that once they dry, they dry fairly hard, so that they won't clump together so much when you decide to spray them or change the colours slightly. Make sure not to get the edges too damp, and make sure the banner doesn't stick to a surfce while it's drying, and you should be golden.

The fist looks like it has some flash or sumwhat on it, between the fingers, so a quick scrape with an x-acto should fix that.

...I can't see it, either in the pics (which are considerably enlarged) or on the model itself. Can you give any more detail?

The fist looks like it has some flash or sumwhat on it, between the fingers, so a quick scrape with an x-acto should fix that.

...I can't see it, either in the pics (which are considerably enlarged) or on the model itself. Can you give any more detail?

In the upper right corner you can see something, it might be dust, but I think it is on the fist.

I think you'll find that's the Crusader Seal sticking out from behind the Fist :D

Incidentally, what counts as "oversized" for images here? Is is just the width? I checked the rules and it doesn't mention anything else, but I often have difficulty noticing when a pic is large because both the monitor I use at work and the one I use at home are exceptionally large. So, uhh, yeah. Sorry about that.

Archived