[Artwork]SoB flushing out Calgar imposter

Sevej

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j103/Sevej2/sobsm.jpg

This is a fluff-pic of one of my (would be) SoB heroine.

Originally this is a mistake :) I asked a friend who is a professional illustrator to draw me a SoB fighting against a marine without much detail, and ended up with a fast-attack Calgar. Can't blame him, tho :) so I conjure a new fluff for the image.

It actually looks like they're fighting together. They both seem to be looking at some further off target.

The Fast Attack icons are easily Photoshopped away =)

Reminds me of artwork from Final Fantasy. Pretty funky but yes it looks they are setting themselves up to fight some chaotic daemon rather than fighting each other. Don't know how you would change that as I have no artistic knowledge but it could be because they are looking in a similar direction :rolleyes:

Still very cool though

Well, the term "professional Illustrator" definately applies to that. :rolleyes: Nice drawing indeed. Only thing I'm not liking is the anime face, since it takes away from the "dark millennium" look 40K should have.

Yeah, I agree, they don't really look to be fighting. It might've been more effective in anotherway, so excuse my meager photoshop skills, but like this?

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h289/kronork/sobsmredo.jpg

Cheers

I like the picture, and as as said before "it's your classic bad guy looking for the goody whos just behind the next wall.". Gives a sense of hide an seek ;)

The big one rely on brute strength where the SoB use her intelligence to combat the impostor.

By the way, the left most bolt pistol has an strange angle to it, like its twisted.

(feels bad to complain about other peoples beutiful pictures when one self at most can make a crude doodle).

Looking at it again, I's say the problem lies with the SoB. The blank, distant stare she has she looks like she isn't really there, or makes her look like she's focusing her attention elsewhere.

If she was fighting a Space Marine, she would be supremely aware of her surroundings, and focused on the threat, i.e. the Marine himself.

Also, the Marine looks like he is looking for her, but she seems to be pretty far out of cover, and not completely hidden from sight. As she is currently positioned, she would be spotted immediately. It seems illogical that she would hide herself from sight so ineffectively. Her pose also looks very relaxed, and as people who hide somewhere for any amount of time know, it's very difficult to relax in such a situation. Her position produces a different interpretation of the situation.

If the focus of her attention changed, her position, and perhaps her pose, you would have a better picture in my opinion.

The artwork itself however, is of good technical quality, although a bit Manga-like.

Hehe... manga sister... have yet to see a properly done manga marine... but Marnie comes close... yessshhhh...

The bolt pistol looks off simply cuz there is very little space for the grip. Her hand seems to be clenched as a fist with the pistol come out of it, rather than the hand looking like its actuall holding on to a solid object.

The placement has been covered, but also the direction that they are looking in seems to be the same. She should, rather, be looking over her shoulder, as though expecting him to walk by. This would be easier to achieve if she was shifted more to the left.

Haha... he's like me... he is right handed and draws with the paper on a slant... ;) (assumption)

I think it looks like they're cooperating, I'd go with that instead and have the artist-friend draw another picture with more detailed instructions :tu:

I think the problem is the slanted angle and the position of the fist, it makes it look like the marine is climbing over rubble behind her instead of walking around a corner.

It's really well drawn though. The assault markings could simply be honourbadges, maybe he's a veteran with a past in an assault squad. We can hardly see his right shoulder where his squad badge should be anyway.

Two things:

They arent fighting (why would they be?)

And.. If Marneus Calgar wants to join a fast attack squad, then I'd like to see who is going to tell him he isn't allowed!

-Legacy40k

First of all I love the style of the artist, especially Calgar looks great. As others mentioned the composition of the picture is a little bit odd and btw its nearly impossible to hide from the very sharp and superhuman senses of a Space Marine in such a short distance.

They arent fighting (why would they be?)

I asked a friend who is a professional illustrator to draw me a SoB fighting against a marine without much detail, and ended up with a fast-attack Calgar.

Thanks for the responses! I'll relay these to him.

Well, yeah, I also told him that they don't look as if they're fighting against each other at glance. He said he doesn't want to put any one of them at advantage, that is, both still have chance to win the encounter. The sister is not looking at him, she was thinking; while the marine is probably preoccupied with rage. And he's not all that good marine :wacko: (he would end up being a veteran or captain somewhere instead of being a renegade-imposter).

I can edit the eyes and the fast attack... but as an editor (my job IRL), I respect the artist very much, and want to show first it in the original version. I might edit it sometime, but most probably not. Also noticed the left-most sister's hand. But I'm not (nor he, I think) going to change anything of it. About color... I don't think he's gonna do it, considering all those crosshatches.

As someone noticed, he IS manga-influenced, with no western comic background at all. He has a spot in deviant art but putting the line here would probably inethical :) besides, this is his only PA related (or 40k) artwork.

any chance we could see a color version? cause it looks sweet as like that andcould look even better with a bit of paint :devil:

Hmm.. I might have a go at that, I'm no colourer, but it would be a good practice work :blink:

-Legacy40k

Archived