Fists Assault Captain

BlackWolf

Well here's my assault captain/searge for my IF's. hes not totally done...the wrist is still white, and some minor things still need to be done

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/Blackmane/assaultman1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/Blackmane/assaultman4.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/Blackmane/assaultman2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/Blackmane/assaultman6.jpg

Looks great, however... the colour of the flames are backwards (common mistake), the hottest part (closest to the engine) is yellow, and it goes darker from there.

-Legacy40k

The colour of the flames is not always a description of temperature, yellow flames at the tips often occur in "diffusion" flames where there is excessive amount of oxygen and thus imcomplete combustion of carbon occurs, thus carbon atoms are ejected at temperatures where they emit yellow radiation in a similar way to how fireworks work such as strontium is red, copper chloride green etc.

Im not 100% sure how jump packs create propulsion but if they wanted efficient combustion the flame would most likely be blue (providing the flame would be premixed with air thus in stoichiometric mixtures, as it starts to emit ultra violet light). Then white-yellow-red. I assume the vents at the front of the pack bring in air at the correct stoichiometric rate (fuel dependant), premixing in a combustion chamber (probably heated to further improve the reactivity) this gases then expand and are ejected out of the rear vent pressumably with the flames (unless they have some extremely good flame arrestors :) )

Anyhoo a lil bit of science for you, as its my degree a lil practise doesnt hurt :P

Why did you have to remind me of my Phys Sci exam?

Its my holidays, i was happily ignoring the upcoming exams untill i got back to school. Damn you.

That looks sweet though. I would have done the flames in a deep blue though to complement the yellow armour. Can't wait to see his accompanying squad.

thanks for the coments guys.

ya i know the colors are backwards, but they seem to look better that way.

it seems i always get good feedback about Fists (other sites). but actually they are quite simple to paint...slightly time consuming, but if done in bulk very easy

Lovin the mini, great work, well done :D

The flames, although some folk say its the wrong way around. i think the flames look great as they are, especially with the more darker part of the 'flame' towards the jets as id imagine it would be cooking all sorts of dust particles and what not in there.

Might have to yank this idea for my future assault marines.

Any tips perhaps for us wannabes on how to accomplish a similar if not the same effect? :)

Really loving that model! actually looks like he's thrusting forward towards the enemy, the yellow is superb as well :D Can i just ask how you did the flames? were they GS'd? :)

Again a really nice model :P

it seems i always get good feedback about Fists (other sites). but actually they are quite simple to paint...slightly time consuming, but if done in bulk very easy

Could you please tell us the secret of your yellow ? I always thought about doing an IF army, but achieving a nice yellow is hard :D

Really loving that model! actually looks like he's thrusting forward towards the enemy, the yellow is superb as well ;) Can i just ask how you did the flames? were they GS'd? :D

Again a really nice model :)

yup they were GSed

also for those who want how to do my yellow heres a very quick explination

1- prime white

2- paint very thin layer of orange mixed with white(pinkish color)

3- Add more of the previous layer until its a nice solid color

4- highlight from the pink color up to white

5- add a few coats of yellow ink

Archived