Wolf Priest

King Ulrik

http://img226.imageshack.us/img226/8590/wolfpriest3tm.jpg

Had this mini for ages, was a Gamesday limited edition - 2003 I believe - and well wanted to try a few things and paint a space marine. That I have done. :) First thing I tried was the gold, tis NMM. Now this is only my second attempt at NMM painting and my first at gold, it came out probably too yellow and/or brown in places but it's all a learning curve and something to try and remedy for next time. I didn't use any online guides but I did remember bits here and there, starting with a base of snakebite leather I then added bubonic brown, golden yellow then sunburst before doing the highlights with a mix of white. Not too bad.

Now those who are in the know will notice that he should have black armour - being a chaplain - but I did grey instead, and it was not. I repeat was not because I had painted the grey thirteenth company armour before this was pointed out to me. :devil: That was done by starting with a codex grey and chaos black base and adding in more grey until I got the shades I liked. The light patches on the armour are suppose to be light spots (where the light would reflect most) but seems the blending was not as good as it looked after the varnish was applied - they seem a little too bright. And yes, I forgot the backpack *ahem* It fell off and I got otherwise busy.

The cloak is suppose to be a wolf pelt, on some advisment I added washes to it and they seem to have done some great work in breaking up the monotonomus look; they may be hard to see but they're there (snakbite leather, bestial brown, purple and a reddy brown). Most the rest is just simple stuff; necklace, gun, vials etc Nothing too special. Again the rune on the backpack is due to a bit of advise from a fellow painter, just to fill the gap slightly. The shoulder pad with the badge on, well my attempt at freehand, came out alright but I need to practice there a fair bit.

Finally the base. My first idea had him dwarfed by this huge thing, too big. So getting a bit of slate and breaking it up I got this one. Now I recently got the Vallejo Game colour line and wanted to try them. So from a white undercoat the rock has been washed and drybrushed only. I used Charred Brown, Earth, Beasty Brown, Bone White and Skull white only. The next part did not turn out quite as well; using Yellow Olive and Dark Green I added washes to the crack and such on the base to represent lichen and moss growing etc.

So there you have it, done. I am quite proud, have a long way to go before I'd even consider entering a GD (need to refine a few techniques) but I am slowly plodding along - short legs you see ;) - and am happy with my progress. Thank you to those who looked at this in private and helped with some good advice, thanks a bunch folks.

KU

That is one excellently painted mini, very well done :devil:

Ahh, the more Wolf stuff i see, the more i want to go back to painting those *looks around to see if Foolio is stalking me*

Just a lil thing, you might wanna resize the pic to less than 700 pixels in width OR change it to a link as the pics in their current size are messing up the board layout slightly. :)

Archived