Angry Red Men...

Honda

I am a fairly long time lurker and first time poster. What I am about to show is my "While you were sleeping" project (when the site was down) where I wanted to learn a little bit about the color red.

So the results follow:

Assumptions:

1. Painted for the table top

2. I had a vision of Khorne warriors on the side of a mountain, in the snow

3. I wanted to do a red that wasn't glow in the dark, but more subdued, so that it would appear more realistic

4. I am attempting to convey movement as much as possible

What became very apparent and humbling at the same time, is looking at the photos and seeing all the...well, you know, the things you'd do differently next time. I'm a little disappointed that all the layers didn't come out that well in the photos.

There are two units (troops) and a Champion. One of the units is shooty and sets up assaults by the follow on berzerkers. It's only 500 pts and more to test out the red than anything.

Sorry about the links, I'm not that familiar with resizing shots.

Army champion (I know the name is borrowed)

Krell, the Eternal

Krell 2

Krell 3

Krell 4

Berzerker champion

Champion 1

Champion 2

Some of the guys

Sword 1

Sword 2

Sword 3

Sword 4

Two Pistols

Two Pistols 2

Blind Fury 1

Blind Fury 2

Jacen 1

Jacen 2

Jumper

Chopper 1

Aspiring champion with Kai gun

The idea behind this guy is that anger is flowing out of him and into the gun, which then powers the shots. It looked good when I was sculpting the putty, but I don't think I pulled off the painting the way I wanted to. The photos don't show how he looks pretty normal from the back, but as you rotate him, the anger (or at least it's manifestation) takes over his face.

Kai 1

Kai 2

Kai 3

More shooty guys

Shooter 1

Plasma gun 1

Plasma gun 2

Plasma gun 3

Another Plasma gunner

Any C&C welcome, I know they aren't perfect!

LC's

Army champion:

I cut these out of sheet plastic and puttied them up. Then many, many layers of thinned Snot Green, lightened up with Skull White

The Berzerker champion:

The LC's were taken from (of all things) Warmaster Goblin chariots, glued and puttied. These were just drybrushed so that I could switch back from LC's to a powerfist if I wanted to.

In case you can't tell, I really like lightning claws. :D

Welcome to the B+C....

Great conversions, really inventive use of bits. Also the way each model is given a character helps the models stand out.

Really good ideas, and I look forward to seeing more conversions....

Very nice models!! What I like the most is the thinking you put behind each of the models.

I think my favorite model you did is the "Blind Fury" one. You can really feel the energy around him! Could I ask what bits you used to create him?

The only sad thing I can see is that you seem to have got a case of the "Fuzzy Primer" on a few of the models... But, I could be wrong...

Anyways, very nice conversions, I might have to steal a few of your ideas for future inspiration!

Keep those conversions coming, I hope we'll see more!

Dracul.

You've got the dreaded "powdery finish" on your models. This is due to the undercoat job unfortunately, usually because the can was insufficiently shaken, sprayed too far away (such that the undercoat dries before it hits) or in extreme heat/cold. Luckily you havent done too many models (dont worry, we've all done it :D )

Furthermore, your paint looks a little thick. Try watering it down ever so slightly, and doing a couple of coats instead of one big one.

Props for creativity tho, very cool!

Looks good!

However, a few comments, if I may (if I may not, ignore most of the rest of this post :D ).

Anyway, in addition to what akrim said about thinning/fuzzy primers, your gold could use a little work, especially since it's painted over a ... difficult color to paint gold over (red). Anyway, what I do for gold is I do one-2 coats of brazen brass. Then shining gold to the proper brightness. Then do a nice little brown or chestnut ink wash over the top and should do the trick.

Second, the pose of the sword dude...bothers me. This is cause I have posing OCD. Anyway, from the position of his leg/foot, it looks like he would hit the ground and all of his momnetum would be lost, cause he is spread out too far.

But yeah, good job! Keep up the good work.

great stuff. painting a little poorer in places when compared to the obvious thought you've put in for other places on the models......but......great stuff in general.

I LOVE the model wielding the two handed axe running at full pace about to swing his weapon. beautiful.

Q ^_^

Good work!

Despite what people say about painting, its a very nice job overall, and I really like that Kai Gun!

What did you use for the Kai Gun - it looks like parts from an Ork Big shoota n an Autocannon to me.

10 out of 10 for the modelling. ^_^

7 out of 10 for the painting.

Why? Firstly, let me say that although they're not perfect I think they rock and really like them. The thing that let's them down a little is the fuzzed undercoat, which is a shame.

Still if you are producing mini's like this then I can't wait to see some more that haven't had a fuzzed undercoat. I think they'll look pretty sweet.

Wow! Quite a few responses and I will get answers for them later. Right now I'm at work and I won't have time to give you the responses you deserve.

So more later...

Ok, finally have a chance to reply. The thunderstorms in Houston were quite severe and we disconnect our PC when that happens.

So....

General comments:

Primer: Yes, I got the dreaded fuzzy finish when the temperature suddenly spiked on me while I was spraying a bunch of stuff. My ignorance led me to believe that I might somehow "fill the fuzz in" with a lot of thin layers, alas that assumption was way off.

So, I chalk that one up to "lessons learned". :angry:

Red: How the pictures portray the effort to get the red the way I wanted it to be is a little annoying. For those that are interested, I did the red thusly:

1. Base black

2. Thin wash of Scorched Brown

3. 2-3 thin coats of Scorched Brown + VMC Flat Red (50/50)

4. 2-3 thin coats of Beastial Brown + VMC Flat Red (50/50)

5. 2-3 thin coats of VMC Flat Red (50/50)

6. Some highlights with Blood Red

It took an incredible amount of time to do this for just the few figures that I painted. At some point I'll revisit this army as I have ideas for a jet pack unit as well as some others.

Gold: I'll have to play around with this a little more to get a better gold. I didn't want it to be too shiny to keep to the more subdued tones, but I hear what you are saying.

Steps:

1. I left the rims black from the base coat

2. Two layers of Brazen Brass

3. Thin Chestnut ink wash

If I remember correctly, I got a little hurried at this step, and didn't finish off with any highlights, or very few, so I realize that I can do better on this. But point taken.

Specific questions:

Kai gun

I'm a simple kind of guy, so simple solutions appeal to me. The gun is constructed from an IG Cadian heavy weapons lascannon. I cut the end of the barrel off, drilled it out, turned it upside down (see...simple :wacko: ), glued the Chaos heavy bolter arms on it and pinned a plastic ball/BB/whatever you call them to the back. Then I puttied the "anger" worms on him.

Jacen

As far as the name goes, I was just making a play on the "movie" Jason, figuring that most would figure out the phonetics + image and say, "cute". The spelling actually comes from some of the Star Wars books. Jacen is one of the twins born to Leia and Han Solo, if I am remembering correctly.

Krell

"Why is he green?" As the leader, I wanted him to stand out from the rest of the figures. The best way I could think of to do that is to make his color scheme different, so I took the complementary opposite. Now, when you put all of them together, there's no doubt in your mind who the army champion is, even if he wasn't wielding those nasty lightning claws.

The color was also used to emphasize the different emotional tone he is supposed to have. All the red guys are running around going nuts, making lots of things happen. He on the other hand, is more reserved, standing erect (or at least that was what I was attempting) and all business. His cool (as in temperature) color palette is supposed to keep him withdrawn.

To me, his pose and color just say (in a deep voice), "Kill them all" or something else suitably melodramatic.

Blind Fury

He's pretty simple to put together. Two chainaxes, Ork arms pinned so that they are extended out to the sides, armpits puttied, then the head from the Chaos SM mutation sprue.

This was a case where the end product coincided pretty closely with the vision. There's another figure for the shooty squad where I used Ork arms to hold a bolter, and it came out "so so". In this case, the heavy muscalature of the arms emphasize the pose. I also used an Ork arm on the berzerker champion, who was heavily inspired by Dragomir's berzerker.

Shooty Khorne

I realized that this squad is probably controversial, however, my vision of Khorne troops deviates slightly from the "we all froth at the mouth and run across open spaces until someone kills us" image that is usually portrayed.

In the early days of Khorne, technology was embraced (in fact in WFB, warriors could get bolters and plasma guns...and that was way cool) by a Khornate force. So, Krell is supposed to be a very wise (and old) figure who uses "all" the tricks.

That means using all the available tools.

For this army, as I have envisioned it, a trooper is inducted into a mountain cult, given a shooty weapon, and placed in a unit called a, "Spear". His role is to shoot and weaken a particular point in the enemy's forces. Because they are up close (Spears can infiltrate), they take a lot of casualties. Those that survive that service or who perform exceptionally, get promoted to the mainline berzerker units.

The berzerker units job is to follow up on the areas that the shooty units have weakened and exploit. As a persons's experience and service continues, assuming that he doesn't get himself killed, he becomes a champion and after awhile, eventually gets promoted to an elite unit that either fields jetpacks (Chosen or Possessed) so that they can get into action even faster, or encased into a Dreadnought.

This army will never have any vehicles or Defilers. Everybody runs. So in order to make that somewhat competitive in game terms, it needs something, and I will use a few shooty units to make that happen. The focus is still on "hand to hand".

So a slightly different perspective, but one that makes more sense to me. I just struggle with the idea that the Khorne forces are so mindless that they are as tactically ineffective as they often tend to be on the table top.

I'm not expecting you to accept my rationale, but that is why I did what I did. <shrug>

I love the sword guy, very dynamic. I take it the bionics are necron parts?

Thanx for the compliments.

There are a few figs that I was really happy with, Sword, was one of them. If I remember correctly, he took something like 51 bits and pieces to put together.

The bionics are a mix and match of things. However, the knee joints come from the ball exhausts of a berzerker back pack, the bars are just paperclips, and the Khorne icons come from the chainaxes, IIRC. The funny thing about him is that I had a picture in my head of generally how I wanted him to look, but when I started putting the bits together, I wasn't even getting close.

So after thinking about him a little bit, I decided to "bless" him with bionics (read: I didn't have enough confidence in my GS skills to do something else) in order to get the hands holding the sword and the legs spread the way they are.

The pose was also a little problematical and I fiddled around with my bokken to see if it was even somewhat reasonable to attempt...and in the end, I just decided that I liked how he looked. He looked angry and appeared to be ready to take action, so I got really close to where I thought he should be.

He's quite large and I suspect that if I could get him to stand up straight, he'd be quite noticeable.

Cheers,

Archived