Modelling: Doghouse pattern "Gothic Marines"

Marneus_Calgar_: Dark Apostle was close the head is SW but it's a WFB Beastman torso. Part of my Word Bearer army that never was, I did however refine the technique that I used on that Dark Apostle (mini not the Frater :P ) to create the Dark Angels. :lol:

Nephren-ka: Great stuff! Remember to post pictures if you get the chance. :)

Bloodwraith: Well, along with an update on this tutorial I'm working on a plasticard version so that Frater that aren't too confident with the old GS can have a go. :P

yep that's exactly what Imma do to give my relictors a very ornate feeling, I love this tons thanks a bunch doghouse!! also.. if any of you have dremmel tools it might be easier to mold it with GS then sand it down abit so its the curved shape but you have to have a good eye for that..

ok, well as promised, i will now post what i have achieved with techniques inspired by doghouse(other than my neophyte winning entry of course, that on is on the GW website and i think i made a thread for it).

ok, well from start to current WIP is the mini i was going to use as my BnC mini me, but i wanted in my army too much :( brother mini dave

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y56/pointy_stick/DSC06861.jpg

a basic layer of greenstuff, turned brown due to the larg ammount of red pigmint i had in my water( production line painting my marines, lots of red!)

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y56/pointy_stick/DSC06866.jpg

this one had another layer of GS, bigger than the last, Gsed on some oramental things, my first time sculpting chain, the chest thing turned out really well IMHO, and of course the boot was reworked to fit with the greave better. also chain on the shield, many purity seals

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y56/pointy_stick/DSC06867.jpg

Added head, sculpted hair. sorry about the blurry pic. took this a while ago.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y56/pointy_stick/DSC06914.jpg

and wha i have so far, my first time ever using white primer, it works WONDERFULLY! seriously, i have a mere 4 coats of red on this guy, it blends so much better than on a black undercoat, and red gre actualy sticks to white :lol: (note the helmet in particular, 4 layers and already it's blending well IMO)

so there we have, the wonders of what you can do with this technique and ones like it. next up ill be trying to make some pointed feet like doghouse, little more of a challenge there.

• 2 weeks later...
Nice, nice to see everyone using this great technique in different ways, thanks again doghouse. The guardsman is awesome, you did a great job on having your mini holding him like that, as said before, a bit of fix up on the GS might help, i sanded it down a bit, which really helps, then you can use another layer to make it smoother if you feel like.

Aww man... if i had realised how awesome those finished marines look, i would have got ready for some converting and bought some.

ill just have to get ahold of some lower torsos, and use them for the Aspiring champions of my chapter.

Nice, nice to see everyone using this great technique in different ways, thanks again doghouse. The guardsman is awesome, you did a great job on having your mini holding him like that, as said before, a bit of fix up on the GS might help, i sanded it down a bit, which really helps, then you can use another layer to make it smoother if you feel like.

I'll go back and fix him later.. Right now I'm trying to figure out how.. :(

Luther..

• 2 weeks later...

Hello!

I've been watching this tutorial for a while now and thought I would have a go at adding some Gothic pattern marines to my DA. The legs have just arrived and I hope to get to working on them sometime in the coming weeks. Doghouse, do you mind if I nick your idea? :)

By the way, any tips on how to GS the greaves? My experience with green stuff has mostly been as a filler. I gather you shold leave it for a little while before smoothing it. Is that the same for the greaves?

Any advice would be appreciated!!

Thanks,

Gilyfish.

I hopw Doghouse dosn't mind me posting this here, but I was having a mess around with some of his techniques and after a semi-successful attempt at GS-ing some greaves (they weren't too smooth but it was okay becasue I covered them in PRe-Heresy Studs) I think I've been able to have a decent Stab at making a doghouse-pattern gothic marine without needing GS for anything more than filing some gaps:

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b98/Corai/doghouse.jpg

Obviously it still needs cleaning up and the foot-greave joint needs a little GS love, but a damn site quicker and easier for those of us not blesed with Doghouses' Primarch-like affinity for Green Stuff!

@ corai: Looks good, and it would definitely be easier to avoid GSing greaves... Only suggestion I have would be to sand down the left foot some so it can be flush with the base - right now it looks like he's about to sprain his ankle...

ETA: Just to be sure, all you did was take the normal marine lower legs and attach them to the warrior knees, right?

• 1 month later...

Since the post is back from the dead again, I'll mention that I was completely inspired and have several of these doghouse pattern marines in the works now. Pics to come either here or in their own thread when they're worth looking at. I'm not good with GS but this is good practice!

LSM

+++May the Emperor's might crush your enemies like a Baneblade full of overweight Guardsmen+++

sorry for necro'ing this thread, but i was wondering, doghouse, if you ever did get around to making the plasticard version of this tutorial?

I second that question.. btw. I've got 18 of these buggers underway right now.. DON'T TRY MAKING AN ENTIRE ARMY!! damn it's tough.. but I'll love it when I'm done, and as it' was said, it's good practice with GS..

Luther...

Archived