Hell Hath No Fury...

Ap0k

Greetings again Bolter and Chainswordians. It's been a while since I last posted here, but I have been lurking (when real life allowed) :D

This piece was completed for the RelicNews Painting and Modelling forums 4th painting competition. The theme was a cityfight based duel, and had various other constrictions that I won't bore you to tears with here. Anyone curious on the matter can find the finer points here.

Anyway, overall it took around 40 hours, from the start of painting to finish. A time I'm quite pleased with, given the standard. Both the combatants took somewhere in the region of 15-16 hours, and the rest of the time was spent on the base.

But enough with the talking and the gibbering and the words. PICTURES!

http://www.xanadu-community.com/sfh/494/duelfini1.jpg

http://www.xanadu-community.com/sfh/494/duelfini2.jpg

I'm quite pleased with the result. I can still see a few flaws in it, but, as usual, time was against me (gotta stop leaving stuff to the last minute).

Comments and/or criticism are, of course, more than welcome.

Due to the choice of colors they appear to be "eye popping" when set next to the neutral colors of the ruin.

I like it.

Sweet color choices too, it's a very rich purple. :D

Can you be persuaded to share the recipe (with ratios!) and approximate amount of layers?

To tell you the truth Nihm, I'm not quite sure.

The basecoat was an, approximately, 60:40 mix of Liche Purple:Chaos Black.

From there, I just kept adding successive blobs of liche purple into the mix, and layering up through that. Once I got to pure Liche Purple, I added in blobs of white (I think, about 3 layers) to bring it to the base skintone, and then probably another 2-3 layers (adding more white each time) for the highlights. There were a few glazes of purple ink in there at various stages as well.

Due to it being a one-off, I didn't keep track of exactly how much I used I'm afraid, since it's not a colour I expect to be reproducing for my army deamonettes.

If you want exact ratios, my guestimate is the following.

For example purposes, we'll assume our 60:40 mix of Liche:Black is called Chaos Purple.

Basecoat - Chaos Purple

Highlight 1 - 4:1 Chaos Purple:Liche Purple

Highlight 2 - 3:1 Chaos Purple:Liche Purple

Highlight 3 - 2:1 Chaos Purple:Liche Purple

Glaze 1 - 1:10 Purple Ink:Thinner (water, or whatever thinning mix you use)

Highlight 4 - 1:1 Chaos Purple:Liche Purple

Highlight 5 - 1:2 Chaos Purple:Liche Purple

Glaze 2 - 1:10 Liche Purple:Thinner

Highlight 5 - 1:2 Chaos Purple:Liche Purple

Highlight 6 - 1:3 Chaos Purple Liche Purple

Highlight 7 - Liche Purple

Highlight 8 - 3:1 Liche Purple:Skull White

Highlight 9 - 2:1 Liche Purple:Skull White

Glaze 3 - 1:10 Purple Ink:Thinner

Highlight 10 - 1:1 Liche Purple:Skull White

Glaze 5 - 1:10 Liche Purple:Thinner

Each of the stages was taking about 3 layers to get a good solid coat, and some of them might not even be necessary (in fact, I can almost guarantee I didn't do some of them). It mostly seems like the logical progression through the stages.

The Claw and hair was done in a similar way, except that I started with a basecoat of Liche purple, and worked through liche purple, into tentacle pink, leading to pure white highlights on the very edges. The claw also had recesses picked out in purple ink at various stages to differentiate it from the main skin tone.

I'm assuming your query was directed at the purple technique only, but I can guestimate the rest of the piece if I've misunderstood you.

I think part of my hate for assasins died inside this diorama is amazing, I paly slaanesh and have loads of daemonettes and I play wh (newest army i'm working on) and I might have to get a few death cultists after i've seen this

nice work!! mad props to you

haha i feel funny saying that ;D

~EzEkiEl

Wow.. I REALLY like it. Good theme. Good paintjob too :lol:

Judging by their position there wouln'd be a clash. The asassin would split the daemonette in two while the daemonette might get one or two stabs to the asassin.

Thanks alot Ap0k, that was very useful. Rich purples have been hard for me to achieve.. :lol:

I think I'll start using "Chaos Purple" as basecoat on a test model and see how it goes. :)

I really dig it Apok. It reminds me of the painting style and color/highlight usage of early Rogue trader and 1st edition 40k stuff. Vibrant colors, nice washes, beautiful highlights and still Very Gothic. You captured what I personally enjoy in a good 40k P.J.

I can't wait to see what you have coming next. Great Piece!!

I have to say that these are two of the finest miniatures I have seen! The assassin is fantastic-I have painted a few of these and they just look undercoated compared to yours. The daemonette is truely awesome............................

Archived