My deathwing army

Mortarion

Hello. Here are some pictures of my Deathwing army. Some of you might have seen them as they have been posted on Warseer (under the name Bulonicus, it's hard to get the same name on different forums) but I thought I could show them here as well.

When the new plastic terminator appeared I decided to start a Deathwing army. I like the plastic terminators because they are larger then the old terminators and they are in plastic (duh...), but I dislike many of the changes in design made to them. Therefore, I converted all terminators in my force to look more like the old ones.

-All shoulders are raised. Yes, I know that no human could ever fit in there since the shoulders are level with the head. And I don't care. Terminators are supposed to look like that. It makes them alot more menacing I think.

-Removed the new large targeters (the thing above the head) and sculpted smaller oldschool ones.

-Made oldschool lightning claws for the assault terminators. This took a lot of work but I really hate the new Knuckleduster-pattern lightning claws.

Also, most terminators got some kind of deathwing symbol or angel or some other DA reference.

Any questions or comments are welcome. It would also be nice to hear what you think about the modifications I have made. Good or bad? Anyway, on with the pictures!

Uriel, Deathwing librarian

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h233/Bulonicus/WH40K/Uriel.jpg

Converted from a normal terminator with lots of green stuff and a few spare bitz (mainly for the force glaive).

Deathwing command squad

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h233/Bulonicus/WH40K/Squad1.jpg

I wanted the command squad to stand out a bit from the normal terminators so I added loincloths and a bit more DA icons then usual.

Raziel, Deathwing dreadnought

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h233/Bulonicus/WH40K/Dread1.jpg

After a bit of thinking and reading through background I decided to paint all of the vehicles DA green with bone white patches to show that they were Deathwing. The banners of the dreadnoughts show the last moments of their "pilots" real life. In Raziel's case, he was mortally wounded while fighting (and banishing) a Bloodthirster.

Harbonnah, Deathwing Dreadnought

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h233/Bulonicus/WH40K/Dread2s.jpg

Another dreadnought.

Deathwing terminator squad

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h233/Bulonicus/WH40K/Squad3.jpg

A squad of tank hunters. For the cyclones, the 2nd ed terminators had a targeter instead of a powerfist but in the new codex the have a PF ruleswise. I decided for a mix between the two. A powerfist with a targeter!

Deathwing assault terminators

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h233/Bulonicus/WH40K/Squad2.jpg

The assault terminators I mentioned earlier. The claws took forever to build and paint but IMHO it was worth it.

Land Raider Crusader

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h233/Bulonicus/WH40K/crusader.jpg

More converted then I first intended to.

-The assault cannons that came with the crusader were quite a bad mold and didn't really fit well. So after a bit of filing I decided to give it up and build my own. They ended up a bit thinner and longer then the original.

-The hurricane bolters have been replaced. I never really liked the original ones as they looked too much like a temporary solution. And three separate twin bolters... I wanted something that looked like it was part of the land raider and a single weapon system, but at the same time clearly consisted of three twin bolters.

Closeup of hurricane

-As for the multimelta it seemed strange to have a power armour marine firing it and it looks bad without a gunner. So I built an automated turret sort of thing.

Here is a closeup of the crusader's side. While I am technically pleased with the painting it did turn out a bit more... well... "80's poster" then I intended.

lovely army you have there!

especially like the free hand for the deathwing icons you have done.

the converted Land Raider Crusader looks so much more finished than the stock mmdel though i'm still not a fan of the multi melto on the top (dont like the look of the original either so its no reflection on you - just think it looks very out of place on the vehicle) your version is an improvement on the original though.

the banners are great - i really prefer flat banners to the plastic 3D ones and yours add so much more character to the models.

regards,

lhg033

What can I say?

Absolutley beautiful army, such accomlishment must be satisfying. Absolutley wonderful painting and care to detail, perfectly finished with attention to banners and insignia. Moreover that finest Land Raider Crusader conversion I have seen (and that includes Slayer Sword win 2005!).

This is definately one of the best armyies I have seen. Ever. Not just on these boards, but period. You've added so much to the army by the simple addition o f banners. Well painted banners, I might add. My favorite part has to be the two 'naughts. They're pretty much just incredible. Can't wait to see some more from you (whenever it may be) !!!!!

****EDIT****

OH MY!!! I COMPLETELY forgot about your lightning claws!!! They're also incredible. Scratch the dreads, well, not entirely, as the assault termies and the 'naughts are my favorite pieces.

Master_Aerethos

Really really impressive, I love all of it!!! :lol:

- amazing power weapons, how did you paint them?

- great hurricane bolters, could you describe the conversion?

- same for the very nice MM

*jumps back to look again*

:o

:)

you simply must spill the beans on all knowledge about the LRC conversions and especially the low down on those termie LC

love the free hand baners as well, definitly makes them draw attention.

well done , a throughly thought out army

;) :huh:

DM :lol:

Thanks everybody! :lol:

@Chaplain Desmodus: OK... let's see...

-Power weapons: The normal power weapons are first painted as if I was painting NMM, but with blue colours. Regal blue - Enchanted blue - old Lightning blue - Ice blue - Ice blue with a little white - Skull white. Each colour is applied in multiple watered-down layers. At the same time lightning bolts are painted acrss the surface, arcing from any powersource to the edges. The lightning claws are painted in a similar manner but since they do not have as clear edges as a sword or axe does, the NMM part shows less.

Oh, and I do not mean for the NMM to actually look like metal, it simply gives a cool effect.

-Hurricanes: I wish I could say that I had a grand plan for them that I followed exactly, but I did not. There was much thinking and trying out random bitz, but I'll try to remember. The base for it is a Whirlwind launcher that had a piece removed from its middle/front part. The two halves were then glued together and a pice of plasticard added to conceal the joint and add a bit of texture. The front is made almost entirely out of plasticard. I did not have 12 spare bolters and it also seemed like a waste since I would only be using such a small part of them. But it is actually easier then you think to make bolter muzzles. The skull on the front is from the whirlwind launcher but I cut away the warning triangle armound it. The targeting system is plasticard with lenses added from a terminator targeter. (Just the lenses, not the whole thing. And yes, it took some careful cutting and glueing...)

The spent casing "exhausts" on the side are actually parts from chainsword with a hole drilled in them. The DA icon is green stuff.

-Multimelta: If the hurricanes were trial and error, the multimelta was even more so. It was the last piece I finished for the crusader and its construction was more or less random. I sat and added and deducted parts untill it looked right. And I honestly don't remember exactly how I did it in the end. But it is basically a multimelta from a land speeder combined with the targeter from a Hunter killer missile. The armour is plasticard and green stuff. I then added parts from a thunder hammer, the things that hold the lascannons on the LR, the vehicle acessories sprue and some green stuff.

@Dominar_Mortis: For the hurricane and MM conversions, see above. The assault cannon is simply made from the heavy bolters, plasticard rods, some plasticard, green stuff and the lower thing from terminator assault cannons. Don't know what it is called. I think it looks crap on terminators (mainly because 2nd ed terminators did not have it I guess...) but works on vehicle mounted weapons.

The lightning claws: First, I cut away the original knuckledusters, including the cables. I then cut away a piece of the uppermost part of the hand, where the knuckles would be on a human hand. After this the hand needs a bit of resculpting to make the part of the fingers previously obscured behind the claws visible. Quite easily done with a knife.

As for the blades, I cut a long strip of plasticard (0.75 mm thick). I then used a knife to sharpen one of the edges. The plasticard strip was then cut into several pieces of apropriate length and each of those were cut into the shape of a blade. I then made a small cut in the back part of the blade so that it would fit with the cut-away knuckles on the hand. (It is kinda hard to describe but it is very simple). Each blade were the fitted onto the hand and any adjustments were made befor gluing it into place. While the glue dries the blades have to be "guarded" since they tend to move a bit. After the glue has dried completely any final adjustments are made.

And again, thanks for the kind replies!

The 1st thing that caught my eye was the stellar banners. Next was the DW swords all around the models, next was the Dreads...Finally it was the overall force.

It's a fantastic army, full of character and detail, consistant and solid.

AWESOME!

I've been playing dark angels since first edition and I have to say that this ranks in the top 10 DW armies of all time.

Beautiful Job. The blends, the balance of green, red and bleached bone is superb. The HTH Crew's LC's and Dreads are awesome. The LRC is ingenious. Its an army without an insane amount of conversions which is what i prefer. Far beyond table top but far enough to be great and still time left over to paint other armies as well. If that makes any sense. :ph34r:

I can't say enough except to step back and enjoy.

A W E S O M E.

++OMG i just noticed the shoulder pads... you've got mad skills. I'm Very jealous. ++

Great paintjob and great conversion! I love you're banners and the freehand are great!! your GS work must very accurate... great army man! I like a lot also your land raider conversion, the hurricane bolters looks better than the original ones, great way to do them the only thing aganist this LR is the multi melta, for me is a bit too far from the front of the tank... anyway it's a minor thing....

Ps: Your dread have my name ^____^ ehehehe cool

Wow. everything is basically perfect.

the only crit. i would have is that the force weapon looks a little short, but its probably just the picture angle

you have inspired me to get on with my deathwing painting, not just building and converting...

Once again, nice work

Bravo, on an excellent army. You have certainly set the bar for other Deathwing armies to be noticed. I like the fact you have kept alot of dark angels green in the list in a tasteful manner. Your friend hand efforts are to be commended.

The recipe for your librarian blue, does it follow the same pallet as your power weapons blue? I have been searching for that perfect blue for an upcoming project and I think your librarian has nailed it for me. Any info would be appreciated. :tu:

Thanks everybody! :cuss

@Grey Ghost: Yes, all DA icons, angels and the likes are made with green stuff.

@Sojan: The librarian's armour is painted with a base of what I call "librarian blue", which is basically regal blue mixed with enchanted blue. This is then highlighted with enchanted blue and the old lightning blue (Enchanted blue mixed with ice blue could be used as a substitute). A final very small highlight was made with ice blue.

Great job. Beautiful, top notch painting and conversions all the way through. All the little things you have done help make it successful, as well as the great freehand.

Agreed on the banners! They certainly dont make the army, as they are all painted so wonderfully, but they are the icing on the cake, just an extra touch of class! Well done!! :(

Archived