2nd Marine ... Continuing to Learn

Dunedon

Well I completed my second marine tonight ... each one is taking about 3 hours total so far. Figured it was time to show you folks this one, and get some tips on drybrushing, washing and highlights.

My first mini can be seen here: First Terminator

Since then I have taken the suggestions made in my last thread and done the following:

#1) Thinned the paints ... WOW that made it so much easier to paint. Not sure if I thinned the metalics a bit much to begin with ... but everything turned out ok (I think).

#2) Reduced the colours ... now it's Tin Bitz and Dark Angels Green as the main colours. Black, Bone, Gold and Red are highlight colours ... used sparingly.

#3) Improved my camera setup ... I think it needs a bit more tuning, but I'm still working on learning this camera so that might take a bit as well.

I haven't applied any drybrushing, washes or highlights to this mini yet ... I'm looking for suggestions on where you think it would be appropriate.

As always questions, comments and critiques are encourged ... how else am I going to get it right :)

- Dunedon

Front

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y175/dunedon/40K/Dark%20Angels/2_Front.jpg

Side

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y175/dunedon/40K/Dark%20Angels/2_Side.jpg

Back

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y175/dunedon/40K/Dark%20Angels/2_Back.jpg

I like it. Not normally a fan of metallic armor like that, but this is done well enough that I can enjoy it. Decided against the purple edges? I didnt follow that thread though to the finish.

Decided I liked the metalic better than the black with purple highlights ... now of course it's a matter of figuring out if the metallic base needs any highlights. I've had someone suggest highlighting the edges with Brazen Bronze ... I'm just not sure ... sigh all the decisions.

- Dunedon

I like it, it appears to have highlighting though, im not sure if you have updated the pics and not the first post though...

it is a great improvement from your first mini (which was a great first model to begin with)

if you keep improving at this rate you will have a nice display of improvement within one squad. keep the pictures if you decide to repaint them so you know where you came from...

and yes, i would highlight the metal, use a brazen brass, then pick out the corners with boltgun...

Personally, I'm not keen on the metallics but it's your model, and that's not what I'm here to point out :lol: For your second model, that is very very good. If you keep improving at this rate, I dread to think what your models will look like ina few months :lol: lol

Doing well Dunedon, you are slowly getting a firm grasp on the techniques, feel free to give yourself a pat on the back :D

The only two things that stick out to me atm about the mini are:

1. Drill out the Storm Bolter :) It will make a world of difference. However, thats a minor thing.

2. Your metallics could do with a wash of an ink, and since you've gone the more gold look, a wash of brown/flesh/chestnut would help to bring out some of the depth, reduce the 'harshness' of the gold and give you a chance to do some minor highlights to bring out the gold. Ive only just tried a brown based wash vs a black one for golds and it really works nicely.

Other than that, you are going at a really good pace and it shouldnt be too long before you feel comfortable with the way you paint :(

Doing well Dunedon, you are slowly getting a firm grasp on the techniques, feel free to give yourself a pat on the back :D

The only two things that stick out to me atm about the mini are:

1. Drill out the Storm Bolter :P It will make a world of difference. However, thats a minor thing.

2. Your metallics could do with a wash of an ink, and since you've gone the more gold look, a wash of brown/flesh/chestnut would help to bring out some of the depth, reduce the 'harshness' of the gold and give you a chance to do some minor highlights to bring out the gold. Ive only just tried a brown based wash vs a black one for golds and it really works nicely.

Other than that, you are going at a really good pace and it shouldnt be too long before you feel comfortable with the way you paint :(

Thanks for the encouragement :)

I noticed I forgot to drill out the SB (I did it on my first one) ... I also learned that applying the primer when still on the sprue is a STUPID way to basecoat mini parts that still have to be glued together (ie: terminator top of torso, onto bottom of torso) ... the basecoat goes along way to hiding those small cracks if you do it afterwards.

Would you do the brown wash over the entire mini? Or just the "Tin Bitz" and "Burnished Gold" sections?

If I was going to use the Chesnut Ink for the wash, how much would you thin it?

After the wash, I would assume then could/should use the Brazen Brass (or the Burnished Gold) to highlight the edges of the main body?

Any suggestions on a wash or highlight for the shoulder pads?

Hopefully I'll get some work done on the icons tonight, so I can print them out (ink jet decal paper rocks) and apply them to the mini's. Then I've got to green-stuff sculpt some heraldry shields for them as well (I want them identical, and everyone to have one).

Where do the shields normally get placed? On the main body, or on the arm/shoulder pad?

Thanks in advance for your help folks! - Dunedon

You should try to give your models more natural poses in the future as the pose is as important as the paint.

I'm really liking the colour scheme, an entire army of these should look great on the tabletop. :D

You should try to give your models more natural poses in the future as the pose is as important as the paint.

I'm really liking the colour scheme, an entire army of these should look great on the tabletop. :D

Not sure I'm up to cutting and pinning legs yet :( ... but I understand the need for more realistic poses. I'm hoping that when I do the next squad I'll be able to encorporate some "conversion" ideas, not just painting techniques (one new skill at a time :))

I've got an idea for a display board/terrain piece based on the CoD set, and these mini's ... so I'm sure I'll have to do some conversions before it's all done.

- Dunedon

Just the brown wash over the gold metal areas to reduce down the strength of the color and give the recesses some tone. Up to you by how much you thin it down by, but i think i try for a bout a good 1:1 ratio. Then its just a case of touching up the gold areas with a lighter gold for highlights and to finish it off a few quick highlights of say mithril silver. I did this for my termies and boy do i love the effect.

The Crux can be handle in a similar way if you wish, although i tend to go quite 'plain' with mine and work up from beastial brown up to bleached bone. However i just bought a few new paints recently so some of my steps might change as i havent been happy with some of them on my termies. Just a case of highlighting each step up with a fine detail brush. Or if you want to cheat, just paint them in a metal :unsure:

Like the highlight on the thermie's head.

A few people have commented on the "highlights" on the second mini. In actuality that's the base colour .. I used a Krylon Kakki (sp?) basecoat spray. The green paint I was using was thinned too much (I think), and pulled away from the edges when painting, leaving the basecoat exposed on the edges.

Is that what is called highlighting? Or just an unexpected bonus from the way I painted?

- Dunedon

Unexpected bonus. It's giving the same effect as highlighting, but I presume you don't have as much control over it.

What I mean is you will end up with highlights on underedges - something I avoid. Furthurmore, you won't be able to highlight rounded edges, as the paint won't 'pull away' from it.

I like it, it shows both promise and progress from the first mini as you have the most important basic skill of being able to paint neatly to the edges of areas "within the lines" as it were (only in 3d).

The next step for you appears to be mastering skills such as layering highlights, ink washing and glazing and basing your mini's. Also try drilling out the barrels on the storm bolters, it makes the model look 100 times better with just the one slight change.

All in all a nice job, keep up the good work!

• 1 month later...

I have mostly metallic looking Termies in my Grayven Wolves, and I start like you have with a neat, smooth cover of silver/boltgun metal, then wash all the silver areas with a thinned black ink wash.

Then I pick out all the raised areas with mithril silver, leaving the black ink in the lines and recessed areas.

The end result should look like this:

http://www.battlehammercreations.com/grayvenwolves/marines/cct5.jpg

http://www.battlehammercreations.com/grayvenwolves/marines/cct1.jpg

That is if you go the silver route, for you using Tinbitz, as a base I would use slightly thinned brown ink, and highlight, by mixing a little Brazen Brass, or Dwarven Bronze in with the Tinbitz.

I used TB, as a base for my shoulder pads, working right upto a bright Dwarven Bronze.

Hope this helps?

They are looking extemely good so far, and if you stick to the neat way you've started you'll end up with some stunning Termies.

Thanks

Bruenor

Archived