Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Mentor Legion Rules?

- - - - - Mentors Chapter Mentor Legion rules

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

rekrap88

rekrap88

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 50 posts
looking for rules or Chapter traits for the Mentor Legion,

Excerpted from WD 98 Index Astartes: The Mentor Legion (by Bryan Ansell, Alan Merrett & Paul Cockburn

...The Mentors have an extraordinary capacity for learning, particularly of matters military. The chapter's main pursuit is therefore one of perfecting the fusion between science and art of war, and military technology. They do not engage in campaigns or wars as other chapters do, but instead 'loan' squads of Marines to other Imperial military bodies. Squads of Mentors may be found fighting alongside the Imperial Army or even other chapters throughout the galaxy...

...The massed ranks of the chapter are exhaustively trained in the art of war and in the use of Imperial military hardware, both old and new - the Chapter acting as a test bed for the latest Imperial technology. While a large proportion of the chapter is permanently based at their secret HQ, the balance of the chapter are sent out on missions, including the elite Brethren...

...Another facet of the Mentors is the development and training of the chapter's Elite Cadre. It was originally envisaged that this would perform a number of important semi-military roles, from counter-terror operations to complex undercover missions. They would be the Imperium's ultimate human warriors, capable of dealing with any threat outside a normal chapter's area of expertise. This aim has not been fully realised as yet, but the Mentor Elite Cadre are even now amongst the very best that the Imperium can offer. They too are sent out to aid other Imperial military units in the pursuit of galactic security. The Elite Cadre are also frequently called upon by the Inquisition who recognise their superior skill at arms...

...MENTOR CHAPTER SQUAD COMPOSITION
The following units are all typical examples of squads sent out to other armies by the Mentors. The chapter itself will never put into battle. These units will only ever be found serving under other commands.
RANK AND FILE SQUADS
These are organised around the archetypal Imperial system of the ten man squad. In addition, they uphold the tradition of splitting into two groups of five men each when in battle. There is no Sergeant in the Mentor squad, as each man holds the same rank and any of the ten may be nominated the leader (or two leaders, if the squad splits into battle units of five).
ELITE CADRE
The Elite Cadre of the Mentor Chapter are the most advanced warriors of their kind in the galaxy. There are two ways Marine or Army commanders can employ them on the battlefield. First the cadre element may simply be used as a powerful squad, gaining the benefits of the Targeting-Web facility and other special equipment; alternatively, the models may become leaders for other units. The latter is preferred by Army Commanders as the Elite Cadre make especially good leaders for units of normal warriors.
Each member of the Elite Cadre has the profile of a Marine Minor Hero. This represents the adaptability of the chapter's advanced training techniques. The models also have the powerful Targetting-Web, Timewarper, and Shift Field (see below) available to them, and all models are armed with Mentor Bolt guns. The Timewarper and Shift Field are individually carried items and must be assigned to particular models. These items can be used to enhance any unit joined by the Mentor carrying them...

My question is any rules about Targetting-Web,Timewarper, and Shift Field? and what chapter traits would be good. Scions of Mars for sure,but haveing some trouble with the rest. any help would be welcome. cool.gif

++Edit++

Rekrap I've pared your quotes down to what is reasonable for purpose of discussion as the rules of the B&C say. This isn't the first time you've been warned not to post more copywritten material than is necessary for discussion, if it happens again your post will be deleted and you will receive an official warning

- SCC

++Edit++

Edited by Brother Tyler, 19 October 2013 - 11:34 PM.
Tags edited

Hemal

Hemal

++ NAVITA VITRUM ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 5,375 posts
Hmm, Mentor Legionairre posted some pretty cool rules at some point on these here hallowed halls, might be worth searching for them? They were VERY cool...
Quote Bro Nihm:

Super fast super slick, in my regal blue spandex suit I fly - onwards towards my destiny, through the night sky!

rekrap88

rekrap88

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 50 posts
Thanks found more than i hoped for,now i got some reading to do. thank you :wub:

Cpt_Tiberius

Cpt_Tiberius

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 689 posts
  • Chapter Name: Space Sharks, 3rd Co.
I think some people had suggested using the Death Watch rules to represent the experimental weaponry.
Captain of the Space Sharks 3rd Co.

+ Codex: Space Sharks+

Putting the MARINE back in Space Marines...

rekrap88

rekrap88

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 50 posts

I think some people had suggested using the Death Watch rules to represent the experimental weaponry.

Just download the death watch rules going to give them a try <_<

Dark Scipio

Dark Scipio

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,231 posts
  • Chapter Name: Black Templars

I also wanted to play the Mentor Legion. But unfortunally GW has no fitting rules for them. But they would be great for a codex like witch- oder demonhunters. Playable as an army or as allies. The Codex could be filled up with the Legion of the damned or other special chapters (Lamenters? Astral Claws? Raven Guard with Mutants? Minotaurs? Something new?)

banner3.jpg
Completed Vows:2.gif2.gificon12.gifFailed Vows gallery_11456_5811_7180.jpg

rekrap88

rekrap88

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 50 posts
I just keep finding stuff dont now if it is official
Hive Fleet Kracken rages across the east of the Galaxy. Every where forces are hard pressed to repel the invasions. Amongst all this confusion a Space Hulk slips through the warp. Name, Mullocko. Route, Terra.
Initial Investigations by the Mentor Legion reported of a new breed of Genestealer, a different appearance and mental composure. Where as the usual Purestrain attacked in wave patterns, these infiltrated deep behind enemy lines and attacked at the weakest point.
The mentor Legion attempted the destruction of the Hulk by destroying the plasma reactor which gives it power. The whole Terminator company attacked. Vicious fighting took place, whole squads were wiped out by surprise attacks. With Genestealer ripping through walls and ambushes coming from behind, the Terminators were in trouble. Soon the company was reduced to squads fighting on their own deep within the hulk, desperately trying to destroy the reactor. Interference was too high to teleport. Flamers ran out and assault cannons jammed, they fought back to back and fell one by one. The Legions Terminators all died with over a thousand to one odds.
The Legion mustered its battle companies for a suicidal attack, it could not let the suits be lost forever in that spawn ship. Then disaster happened. The Techmarines reported that the Mullocko’s warp engines were powering up! A last ditch defense laser barrage merely crippled one of the five engines, and the Mullocko slipped out of the Legions grasp.
It reappeared three years later, with its deadly cargo, and only twenty days from Earth. Terra’s defense fleet came to meet it, they easily had enough firepower to destroy the Hulk. However word came from Earth to save the Hulk until a specimen had been captured of this new breed reported by the Mentor Legion. The message had come from the High Lords of Terra themselves.
Time was against the Imperium, with all the Space Marine chapters too far away to intervene in time. The only option left was to send in the Imperial Guard, their mission: capture a Genestealer and secure a bridgehead to retrieve the Terminator suits.
These new Genestealers could be an advance guard of another hive fleet, the Imperium would need to prepare for this. It seemed that the lowly Guard had an important mission, one which could decide the lives of millions.
http://spacehulk.barsoom.cc/
40000timeline
995. M41 . Mentor Legion reports a new Genestealer strain aboard a drifting hulk Hades in the Easten Fringe. Strike cruisers Beloved Matyr and Ultimate Sacrifice of the Mentors sent to capture genetic samples. Half the Mentor's 1st company is overun by Tyranids. Hulk Powers up and Warps out before the Mentor Legion can counter attack, Half of the Chapter's Terminator suits are lost as a result. Defense of Ichar IV. Marneus Calgar commands defence of Ichar IV along Imperial Guard and Eldar against the invaders of of Hive Fleet Kraken. Outbreak of Zombie plague in Necromunda Underhive. Decius Mus, the Arch-Heretic of Auscum, is captured in cooperation by the 23rd Bruttiam Regiment and the Lords of Wrath Chapter. Lt. Hesprix, commander of the Space Marine detachment singles out the 3rd Company, "Barca's Commandos", of the 23rd Bruttiam for "commendable fortitude and ability".
998. M41 Space Hulk Haydes reappears near Terra. Terran Imperial Guard 1st company assaults the hulk due to lack of unoccupied Marine forces nearby. Their Colonel is overrun and later killed by his troops as he is ment to be implanted by the Tyranids. Imperial forces discover and explore Necrontyr ruins on the desert world of Hydrax IV. Inquisitorial Report on Ahriman of the Thousand Sons filed.
http://www.geocities...line.html?20068

ALIENAGENUS_Akharin_FALSUS

• ALENAGENUS

Dark Scipio Sep 2 2006, 02:57 PM Post #6
I also wanted to play the Mentor Legion. But unfortunally GW has no fitting rules for them.

As the Mentors have had observers in so-o-o many chapters, one could presume that you could play an army with any SM traits you wanted to. The Mentors are master strategists in the arts of war, surely they would use whatever tactical philosophy fit any given situation. You could also get away with using other SM codexes like the DA, SW & BA (although I suppose you couldn't justify the Black Rage, could you?).

rekrap88 Jul 18 2006, 12:07 PM Post #1
My question is any rules about Targetting-Web,Timewarper, and Shift Field?

Shift Field is probably comparable to the Necron Lord's Phase Shifter; the figure appears hazy & indistinct and gains an invulnerability save. Although, I think the SM trait Purity Above All would better serve here, as the Apothecary/Sgt can allow a model to ignore a failed save.
Time Warper is probably equvalent to the SM Librarian's Veil of Time
Targetting Web...?

Akharin

Edited by Akharin, 04 September 2006 - 11:55 PM.

rekrap88

rekrap88

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 50 posts
never tought of that :P thank you :D . Next weekend i have a game and are going to try out a 5 man tac sguad with my Imperial Guard force,I'll let you know how it works :o

never tought of that :blink: thank you :D . Next weekend i have a game and are going to try out a 5 man tac sguad with my Imperial Guard force,I'll let you know how it works :D
for the target web i am useing death watch rules

• ALENAGENUS

rekrap88 Posted Yesterday, 07:34 AM
Next weekend i have a game and are going to try out a 5 man tac sguad with my Imperial Guard force,I'll let you know how it works

Best of luck!

One thing I am curious about...
...was there ever an official reason for the change in chapter symbol from the owl to the falcon?
Or was it just a change due what a modeller had done as seen in pictures from WD or the SM codex?
I've seen the SM pics with the falcon, but where was the owl symbol shown?

Akharin

CDR Grendelwulf

CDR Grendelwulf

+FRATER DOMUS+

• +EXCOMMUNICATUS+
  • 1,199 posts

Akharin Posted Sep 4 2006, 08:43 PM

rekrap88 Jul 18 2006, 12:07 PM Post #1
My question is any rules about Targetting-Web,Timewarper, and Shift Field?

Shift Field is probably comparable to the Necron Lord's Phase Shifter; the figure appears hazy & indistinct and gains an invulnerability save. Although, I think the SM trait Purity Above All would better serve here, as the Apothecary/Sgt can allow a model to ignore a failed save.
Time Warper is probably equvalent to the SM Librarian's Veil of Time
Targetting Web...?

The Mentor Legion was initially designed by GW as the testing bed of all new Imperial equipment.

The Targetting Web allowed all members of a squad to aim and combine their bolterfire at exactly the same spot which created the effect of a devastating heavy weapon.

The Time Warper allowed fleet of foot-like movement.

The Shift Field acted as a mobile cover save, -1 to hit penalty.

The Elite Cadre Squad members from US WD98 each had stats equivalent to a company captain with wargear. Imagine having a separate Captain leading individual squads...

Ciao,
CDR Grendewulf

Deadlight

Deadlight

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 170 posts
Just thought of some ways to represent these characters and or squads.

Time Warper:- Jump Pack? = fast movement

Shift Field: - Combat Shields? invulnerable save, not too pricey, or over effective.

Targetting Web:- the combined fire of a squad of rapid firing space marines would be quite explosive.

My problem would be that Mentors never fight as a chapter or company. If they are spread to other imperial armies one way would be to use the Lost and the Damned list, and use the aspiring champs, with appropriate gifts (see wargear), "traitor" guard and "captured" imperial vehicles. I may try this list out myself to see how it goes.
"There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable."

"There is another theory which states that this has already happened."

(Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe, 1980)

ALIENAGENUS_Omnius_FALSUS

• ALENAGENUS

Akharin Posted Sep 6 2006, 08:48 AM
...was there ever an official reason for the change in chapter symbol from the owl to the falcon?
Or was it just a change due what a modeller had done as seen in pictures from WD or the SM codex?
I've seen the SM pics with the falcon, but where was the owl symbol shown?

I don't know the official reason, other than the pics shown in the C:SM.
The owl symbol was originally shown in WD98 along with banner standards & chapter standard.

Deadlight Yesterday, 11:54 PM Post #12
My problem would be that Mentors never fight as a chapter or company.

This could be seen as a changing tactic because didn't they assault a space hulk with half of their terminators? Of course, they lost all of those suits when the force was wiped out and the hulk escaped. Were they trying a Deathwing approach? They do analyze & study how other chapters fight.

As for...
Timewarper: I like the JP idea; simple & effective, maybe model the marines in 'running' poses?
Targeting-Web: this could be represented by a standard DEV squad; perhaps model the squad with 'targeter' helmets to represent the neural links & some custom-looking bolters to 'count-as' whatever heavy weapon.

I think the DW rules may be best to represent them mixed with another marine force, as their 'Elite Cadre' can be leaders of squads & do make use of suspensors & powerful ammo.

Another note, in WD98 there is a picture of their Commander (Chapter Master?) Nisk Ran-Thawll getting suited up in his power armour. Above the alcove where his armour rests, there are the engraved words...

"Knowledge is Power"

Curiously similar to the Blood Ravens' battlecry that adds, "...Guard It Well"?

Maybe the Mentor battlecry ends with, "...Use It Wisely!"

++ Omnius ++

Edited by Omnius, 20 September 2006 - 12:27 PM.

rekrap88

rekrap88

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 50 posts
:rolleyes: i love the owl Head my self

transgenix

transgenix

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 583 posts
++

The targeting web went something like:

Some kind of helmet link which allowed you to draw line of sight from any Mentor unit on the field - you could probably simulate this add saying that they can automatically shoot at whatever unit they want without having to roll..?

There's bound to be somebody out there who could tell you what the article said...

++

Edited by transgenix, 07 October 2006 - 09:21 AM.

• ALENAGENUS

transgenix Posted Today, 06:29 AM
The targeting web went something like:

Some kind of helmet link which allowed you to draw line of sight from any Mentor unit on the field - you could probably simulate this add saying that they can automatically shoot at whatever unit they want without having to roll..?

There's bound to be somebody out there who could tell you what the article said...

Essentially, you have it.
The article explained how up to five Mentors had neural implants that allowed them to synchronize their aim & firing capability. The effect it had was that their normal bolters were treated as one heavy weapon for effect. They could not utilize this capability if the squad had moved (just like with heavy weapons' firing). The power of the shots were dependant upon how many of the bolters were actually in range, had line of sight, etc. It would be like having a 5-man squad modelled with bolters and treat them as having a heavy weapon occasionally. Their attack roll was dependant upon the squad's lead gunner, known as the Marker, for the shot.

Deathwatch ammo seems to have sprung from some of these early enhanced weapon ideas. Even the fact the Mentors loaned out their marines from time to time to lead other squads in other armies, much as using the Deathwatch rules allows for Deathwatch leading another chapter's squads.

++ Omnius ++

Da Orky Alchemist

Da Orky Alchemist

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 550 posts
I need to dig around, I beleive the orriginal targeting web made a variable strength hit depending on how many Mentors in the squad would be firing up to I think 5. So for up to 5 marines you would roll one to hit dice but for every marine firing you would add +1 to the strength of the shot.

The starting statline would be a bolter, and with 5 marines firing with the web you'd end up with a str8 ap5 shot.
Alternatley two brothers could be firing together and youd have str5 ap5.

Or you could just count it as a krak missile and be simple.
Brother Seargeant Vega: "Things on Cadia are just like any other Adeptus Non tythe planet, its just the little diferences"
Brother Seargeant Julian: "Example?"
Brother Seargeant Vega: "Well, you know what they call a Grox Burger on Cadia?"

• ALENAGENUS
Ok, now to be careful not to quote weapon specific numbers as to not violate B&C rules...

The Mentor Bolter itself was equivalent to a singleshot Heavy Bolter.
with special ammo causing a Save penalty for the target.
(a 5-strong TAC squad could simply be represented by the samesize DEV squad with HB)

The Targeting-Web increased the Strength for each additional firer.
Additional damage modifiers began after the second firer's shots.
Save penalties accrued after the 2nd and 4th firer.
S8 AP3 at best with 5 Mentors.

The Timewarper had a variable effect due to a die roll which allowed a move bonus from
no effect at all (leaving the squad disoriented) to 2x, 3x, or even 4x normal move allowance.
It would draw its energy from warpspace to create a temporal-bubble around the squad and
could only be used every two turns.

The Shift Field distorted lightwaves around a whole ten-strong squad. Enemies could not pinpoint any models with ranged weapons, suffering a hit penalty. This device would not protect the squad from HTH as the assaulters would also be within the field.

++ Omnius ++

Edited by Omnius, 08 October 2006 - 05:52 PM.

Da Orky Alchemist

Da Orky Alchemist

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 550 posts
And I recall plasma missiles, they were the same as frags only automaticaly caused pinning.
Brother Seargeant Vega: "Things on Cadia are just like any other Adeptus Non tythe planet, its just the little diferences"
Brother Seargeant Julian: "Example?"
Brother Seargeant Vega: "Well, you know what they call a Grox Burger on Cadia?"

• ALENAGENUS
Plasma missiles!
I have to crack open my old RT book and see what older weapons can be resurrected.

I cannot wait to see the new DA codex and what they are going to do with their rumoured Master of the Ravenwing. He's supposed to be on a jetbike. It would be nice if they allowed a squad to be similarly equiped. My Owl-wing awaits....

Although, land speeder rules could be used for some experimental-bike conversions: single pilot, auto-weapons, etc. Perhaps something similar in look to the older Necron Destroyers maybe?

++ Omnius ++

Edited by Omnius, 10 October 2006 - 11:38 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Mentors Chapter, Mentor Legion, rules

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users