Da'Boyz Indy GT, Just Got back!

littlbitz

Just got back from Da'Boyz Indy GT held in Rochester NY. Had a great weekend.

Was a 5 game, 2 day Tourney. The competition was very good, I ended up 5th over-all (out of close to 30 players, so wasn't bad) with a 3-2 record.

I also was honored with the Best Painted award and got a real nice trophy for my efforts :D

Was a fantastic weekend, and DaBoyz are great Hosts. Definately worth the 8 hour drive.

Here is my list for the weekend.

HQ: WGBL with TDA, FW, and combi-PG

Retinue: 4 WG, in TDA, 2x Assault Cannon and PF, 2x combi-PG and PW, all have Runic Charms and are mounted in a DP

HQ: WGBL on a bike with FW, BP

HQ: Vennie with Assault Cannon, Hvy Flmr, X-A, in a DP

Troops: GH 7+1 MG, PFx2, PPx2, BGx2, WG has combi-MG and PW, DP

GH 7+1 MG, PF, PW, PPx2, BGx4, WG has TDA, combi-PG, and Fist, DP

BC 8+1 Flmr, PPx2, WG has BP, Fist, and Wolftooth Necklace, DP

Elites: 4x Scouts, MG and PPx2

Fast Attack: 2x HB attackbikes

3+1 BC bikes, PFx2, WG has LC (pr.) and a Wolftooth Necklace.

I will post the typical BatRep later...

A very strong list. How do you feel about the attack bikes... are they there to contest table quarters? I am in favor of taking both a dreadnaught and Venerable in drop pods in place of softer units such as attack bikes and Landspeeders. I think two dreads in close combat are highly underrated.

- 0b

Yeah wolek that was really uncool. And pls be aware that no one here in this forum uses Land Rainders.

- 0b

Actually, as SWs with the whole Viking background, riding raindeer might be right on :blink: Or maybe hunting and eating the raindeer...?

--Me

Sorry for the delay but here is game 1...

Game 1 was against a Horde type Chaos army in a Alpha Take and Hold.

Now, Hordes don't typically give me cause for concern unless its wrapped in Powerarmor ;)

His list consisted of Roughly: 1 Chaos marine squad of TWENTY marines kitted for Close combat, and assortment of Marine Squads toting 2 special weapons of various types, A Havoc Squad with Auto Cannons and Tank Hunter, 2 Dreadnoughts One twin las, the other Auto cannon, 2 Oblits., 5 Termies and a Lord. All in all about 70 models.

The game was played on a Powerplant or Factory type board, we decided the real low Rubble ruins would be level 2 with a 5 up invuln. and the building type ruins would count as just that.

His Deployment

I set up my bikes out of LOS ready to support my reinforcments.

We roll-off for first turn and with the help of the "Old man" I get to choose. Now I hate to interupt things but... I always tend to allow my opponent to go first regardless of mission, BUT (alot of Buts today) I am finding that Take and Hold is really giving my Pod army a hard time. When I give my Opponent first turn any smart player will use those first 2 turns of movement to move onto the objective and Castle up with a strong center and thier fire support squads in good position to support the center, giving me one helluva time flushing the entire army out, especially if I come in piece meal (end mini-rant) So even with all this in mind I still allow my opponent the first turn.

He ends up doing exactly what I would, he moves his fire support squads in position to cover the side approaches and front of the objective as the majority of his army races forward.

In turn 2 I eagerly roll for reinforcements. I get my Vennie Dread and my Scouts. Well, this isn't going as I planned, I think to myself as I make what would prove to be mistake #2. I Bring my Scouts on behind his Dreads planning to take one out, even though they are in a ruin making then obscured. I drop my Vennie in on my right side, next to the objective out of LOS of his Lascannons, figuring I could with stand some autocannon fire from his Havocs. I also bring the Bikers up for an Assault, as I send my attack bikes out to my right to take some pot-shots on another squad. I fire the vennie into the huge 20 man squad which has been swarming towards the center the last 2 turns, I kill a few but not enough for a Morale check. My scouts are ineffective.

My Bikers had split in the movement phase, with my Battle leader heading left and my pack heading right hitting the squad on opposite ends. In Close combat my Bikers kill Twelve Marines!!!! I lose One biker. The Chaos Squad holds and its on to turn 3.

In his turn he continues to swarm the center, he sends one dread behind his lines to kill my Scouts (which he does) and shoots with his Havocs at My dread, when he rolls for Armor Pen. I say to myself, "Self not a bad gamble only 2 glancing hits, with my vennie rule I should come out not in too bad a shape" Only to be reminded by my opponent that he has Tank hunters on his Havocs and those are Penetrating hits... :huh:

The "Old Man" is promplty and deservedly destroyed...

In the assault phase he piles more men into my bikes to keep them from freeing up, and more chaos marines die...(Bikes are cool, I dont care what anyone says)

In my Turn the Wolves finally decide to put down thier Flagons and come into the fray.

I am worried as I come in, I am horribly out numbered and he has had 3 turns to position himself with very little resistance. My Plan is simple, I will drop in and surround the objective with Pods and hold from a Position of cover and hope that the cover will offset the numbers.

The Wolves make Planet fall, uhm, scattering all over the board...

Not only do I scatter but I scatter in opposite directions!!! In other movement I continue to take potshots with my attackbikes with them just being a nuesance against power armor, but dropping one here and there.

Other shooting is not so effective as the majority of my army came in and was placed indirectly as to reduce casualties as much as I could.

Turn 4 sees my Bikers finally brought down by weight of numbers. And one of my Attackbikes goes down to some gun fire. (I actually placed them where I did to do just that, absorb fire power away from more important units, so at least that part of the plan worked :lol: ) The rest of his army just kept coming...

In my turn I Blast away with my Retinue Killing about 8 out of a 12 man squad, they promptly pass thier Morale check. I also charge a squad with my BloodClaws (getting revenge for them finishing off my bikers) wiping them out and consolidating into the Terminator pack.

The BloodClaws on the move.

Things don't look terrible, I am holding the Center with my GreyHunters and my Retinue is just left of the ruins and should be able to move onto the objective next turn. All the while my BloodClaws are holding up his Termies and should be able to bring them down just by weight of numbers (Oh, and that Powerfist wielding, Wolftooth Necklace wearing champion ;) )

In his turn He Rolls and Rages with his Dread, Rolling a 6!!! He moves six inches towards my Retinue, then moves 6" in his Movement phase!!!

The Chaos Dread Rages, getting a bit too close for comfort.

On the other side he Brings his Lord in support of the Termies facing my BloodClaws, an expected move. I hope I have the numbers to finish off the Termies before the Lord does in my BloodClaws.

In the assault phase, you guessed it, that Chaos dread charges my Retinue with no less than SEVEN Close combat attacks and promptly wipes out my Retinue. :)

Uh-oh

Things look bad now, I managed to finish off his termies, but the Lord soon finishes off the BloodClaws, there is a Mess of a battle on the right side of the ruins that one of my Grey Hunter packs is engaged in but Weight of numbers brings them down. In the center my lone unit is being closed in on by the Dread that got a Massacre roll after killing my Retinue and the Oblits are pressing center.

In my turn I manage to bring the remaining Chaos Squad on the objective under half, to a non-scoring position but he moves in, Taking the objective with 2 Oblits and a Dread.

The Foul stench of Chaos has overcome this planet....

The Wolves lose with the opponent having 2 scoring units on the objective to my Zero...

A fun game with me making a couple of minor mistakes and him getting some good rolls combined with some hard luck on my end, made this whole game an exciting up hill battle from the get-go.

My opponent was a good player, though a bit more serious a player than I am so that made some parts of the game a bit tense.

To be continued...

Thanks for the comments guys!!!

'ere ya go White Wolf...

Yeah, Rags I am definately thinking hard on the second retinue. I am gonna start playing with them here in the house (with no paint and a Party-cup drop pod) to try them out while I paint them. I will let you know how it goes.

Game 2 will be posted in the mornin' ;)

Thanks for the comments guys!!!

'ere ya go White Wolf...

Yeah, Rags I am definately thinking hard on the second retinue. I am gonna start playing with them here in the house (with no paint and a Party-cup drop pod) to try them out while I paint them. I will let you know how it goes.

Game 2 will be posted in the mornin' ;)

Yeah, after my RTT a few weeks ago I realised that I need more redundancy. So two similar termie packs and I'll lose the BC's and have three GH packs, two dreads(one vennie) and scouts. My last 5-7 games I've relied too much on the littlbitz "plasma pack of doom" to come in and do damage. One of my opponents reminded me of the WD article where they said you should build towards redundancy in a DP list and it makes sense.

Archived