Da'Boyz Indy GT, Just Got back!

littlbitz

To be honest, I don't take notes. I ues the pictures to jar my memory and that usually does the trick.

I do forget some minor details however, but it doesnt seem to effect the overalll effort.

Hopefully I will get game 5 posted tonight after work...

I had some help from a couple guys on this board who sent me a few (thanks WLD!!!)

Also, that Space Wolf backpack is available as a METAL BIT! seems a little known fact. About half of mine are metal, from the Online Store.

I promise to get game 5 up soon, :P Work... keeps me from the more important things in life.

Here we go, on to game FIVE.

Game Five was against another Tau player, his army consisted of: A Tau Commander guy in a Battle Suit,

THREE Hammerheads, Three squads of Four Pirahna for a total of TWELVE, and TWO squads of fire warriors in Devil Fish Transports, and a Gundrone squad thingy.

The game was an Annihalation game with an alternate board set-up. The game was played on another ruins type table with the majority of the Rubble being counted as 5+ cover and the more intact buildings being 4+ cover.

I must admit being a little nervous at the begining of this game as the Army looked like a Tau version of the Eldar armies that I struggle with.

Game Deployment

I again won the roll-off for first turn and allowed him the honors. In his first turn he spent his time moving towards the center, closing in on where my Bikers were positioned.

I split my forces, sending my Attackbikes right while sending my Bloodclaw bikers with WGBL left both units turbo-boosting.

In his second turn he continues to come center while "circling the wagons" so to speak and deploys all his gun drones from his ships.

Looking at all the Drones I make a mental note to ignore them, and not waste my fire-power on them.

He takes a couple of pot shots at my attackbikes but to no-effect (thanks to the turbo-boost).

I roll for reserves, he comments that this turn will tell him if I even have a chance against him. All that comes on is my Terminator Retinue and one GreyHunter pack!!! AARGHHH!!!!

I decide that those guys will just have to be enough for the original plan I had formulated and decide to gamble on it.

I drop my Retinue into the ruins, (a bit too close to the board edge for my liking but if they are in the open they will be dead anyways). Facing off against the 3 Hammerheads using the building for a 4+ save.

I drop my Grey Hunters into a ruin right next to that building prepared to assist the Retinue.

I turbo-boost my WGBL way left, while bringing my BloodClaw bikers around the Ruins they were hiding behind (the same one the Retinue landed in) to give a Hammerhead a good fist in the hull (I hope).

The Space Wolf Assault begins (I hope...)

My attack bikes continue right, moving into a ruin (and taking a wound for thier effort) to fire upon the Pirahna (I really think I'm butchering the spelling of that :D )

Well thats my 2nd turn move, grabbing the dice I begin executing my fire plan...

To be continued...(sorry gotta run my little-girl to her dance lesson)

Ok, where was I?

ah, yes.

My Retinue unloads with 6 Plasma shots rapid-firing and 8 assault cannon shots. Bringing down a Hammerhead.

My GreyHunters unload with 2 melta-gun shots and 2 plasma pistol shots, blowing the Big-gun off of a second Hammerhead, which also can't shoot in the next turn.

The attackbikes fire at a pirhana sqaudron and take one of the four down (If I remember right, I know they did something :D )

In the assault phase the BloodClaw bikers charge a Hammerhead and with 6 powerfist swings manage to bring down another Hammerhead!

In one fell swoop, the Space Wolves manage to take out the Tau Heavy Support!

With a curse the Tau begin thier next turn. He begins to scramble, moving his gundrones in-front of the greyhunters, along with one of his Pirhana Squadrons, another another squadron attempts to gain a good firing position on the retinue while the third takes some shots at the Attackbikers.

Unable to get a good bead on the Retinue, he decides he will fire upon the BloodClaw bikers (probably a better bet anyways as the Retinue is in hard-cover) and drop 2 of them. I opt to lose my Wolfguard packleader in order to keep both fists and they pass thier morale check.

In other shooting I lose 1 or 2 GreyHunters and one of my Attackbikes.

Also he attempts to move back to protect his rear with his devil fish.

All-in-all I look to be in pretty good shape, and I got the Tau scrambling.

I roll for my reserves and get My Bloodclaws and my Dreadnought. I attempt to drop in my Dread behind a Devilfish but scatter slightly placing me right behind the Tau-Battlesuit commander.

My BloodClaws drop in near my Dread to support him, and will Target a Pirhana Squadron, My Grey Hunters remain where they are in the Rubble to assist the BloodClaws.

My remaining attackbike remains in the rubble to fire upon the Devilfish hoping for a lucky shot at its side.

Also my Retinue remains in the Hard-cover of the ruins and targets another Pirhana squadron.

The Retinue takes up a good fire position inside the Ruins.

The Combined shooting of the BloodClaws and GreyHunters drop all Four Pirhana!

The Tau commander turns to face the "Oldman" and realizes that the Tau Fleet will soon be without a General as he dies under a relentless tide of Assault cannon rounds and flame.

the Retinue opens up on a Pirhana squadron and with the help of the Two BloodClaw Bikers drop Two more of the fast moving, flying, Tau, Bike, type thingys.

The SpaceWolves continue to make planet fall, scattering the Tau forces.

With thier General dead, the Tau seem confused, not sure where to strike back. The begin to spread out, his Hammerhead (the only one left, and without its big-gun) moves to the board center.

a Pirhana squadron finishes off the Attack-Bike squadron.

As if suddenly realizing that my other WGBL on a bike was behind his lines he fires at it with one of his devilfish while the other takes some potshots at the Ven Dread. I take a wound on the Battle leader but the Dread is unscathed.

in a fit of desperation his firewarriors disembark in an attempt to face off with my Greyhunters and wipe them out in a flurry of gunfire, I lose a couple more Greyhunters but they hold thier ground.

I also lose one of my Retinue and my other 2 bloodClaw bikers to Pirhana gunfire.

In my Turn the rest of my reserves come in. (Greyhunters and my Drunken scouts.)

My WGBL moves around to the rear of the Devil fish for an assault on the rear.

My 1st Greyhunter pack, with four hunters remaining close in on the FireWarrior squad, as does the Venerable Dreadnought.

My Scouts target a Devil fish, while the newly arrived Greyhunters which dropped into some ruins target the other Pirhana squadron that finished off my Attackbikers.

The Fire Warriors are wiped out by the Venerable dread, the Scouts drop the Devilfish and pin the other FireWarriors squad

and the Greyhunters in the ruin drop a couple of Pirhana as does the Retinue.

The Space Wolves begin clean-up operations.

He is desperate for Victory points now, and fires all he can at the widdled down GH pack and brings them below half, also shooting from the other Pirhana squadron brings my Retinue to half Strength dropping another of my Champions.

In my Turn my Venerable dread advances and drops the last Hammerhead. I again fire with my Retinue into the Pirhana squadron leaving one unscathed. My Grey hunters advance to attempt a few more shots on the other Pirhana squadron dropping them.

My Wolfguard battle leader on his motorcycle decides to charge through the wreckage of the Devilfish to wipe out the other squad of fire warriors which are pinned behind thier transport, trusting in his skilled rider ability to get him through...

I roll a One!!! no biggy, I got skilled rider, I roll a One!!! he only had one wound left and crashes his bike!!!!! :P

Thats what I get for trying to get greedy with the victory points.

In the end he had a few FireWarriors left and 2 Pirhana the rest of his army was wiped out.

A Victory for the Sons of Russ!!!!

I finished the Tourney 3 wins and 2 losses.

enough to get me 5th over-all. An interesting note is that the competition of this Tourney was such that NOBODY went undefeated.

An exciting weekend. I do hope you all enjoyed the read!

i'm confused about something (might be because i didnt read everyones post, but how does littlbitz have bikers in his pod army?... i thought that the rules state that your whole army must enter in drop pods and those models that can't enter in drop pods (stays aboard the ship) and can't be used... i'm not new to SW but have only been working with pods for a bit so i was wondering if it was something i overlooked? :blink:

I believe you are thinking of the rules from the 3rd Ed. C:SM. In the 4th ed codex, a drop pod can be used as a transport option rather than Rhinos or Land Raiders and their variants. So those models that cannot ride in a drop pod are placed on the table during army setup at the beginning of the battle.

OHH... because the in the space wolf codex it says all units must be in pods and ones that can't be in pods can't be used... OK i got it... now i think i have to re-look at my army list :P

do you mind me asking your list?... :D

ps:where did you get those plans for those drop pods?... i'm really likeing those pods... i just bought some good plastic foam and i just need a good plan to print out to get the cutting right :cuss

Glad you like the pods, those plans took me hours and hours to come up with. They are Top-Secret and I just wont be able to give them up. :D

Just messin' they are the Forge World Pods.

I think I posted the list I used on the first page of this post, its abreviated but I am pretty sure its there.

If you would like more info on it just drop me a PM and I'll send ya the info.

Thanks for the comments guys!!!

'ere ya go White Wolf...

Yeah, Rags I am definately thinking hard on the second retinue. I am gonna start playing with them here in the house (with no paint and a Party-cup drop pod) to try them out while I paint them. I will let you know how it goes.

Game 2 will be posted in the mornin' ;)

Yeah, after my RTT a few weeks ago I realised that I need more redundancy. So two similar termie packs and I'll lose the BC's and have three GH packs, two dreads(one vennie) and scouts. My last 5-7 games I've relied too much on the littlbitz "plasma pack of doom" to come in and do damage. One of my opponents reminded me of the WD article where they said you should build towards redundancy in a DP list and it makes sense.

I don't mean to get off topic, but what do you mean by "redundancy" in army lists?

Thanks,

By redundancy I mean having more than one config for your packs. So I now have two littlbitz pattern Terminator retinues. 2ac's 3combiplasmas) I used to run one with bitz pattern and another in BBQ pattern(two heavy flamers). It is very important for the bitz patten to come in since it is the most dangerous pack. But when they don't come in until late It hurts my offense. With two configs in bitz pattern I have a better chance of them coming in.

In short, don't have one super special unit that will put you at risk if they do not come in when you need them. Increase your chances by having similar packs.

I started painting my second Retinue as well.

Although I altered it slightly.

My second Retinue has WGBL with TDA, Pair of Lightning Claws, a Runic Charm and a Wolfpelt.

2x Assault Cannons and Single Lightning Claw

1x Combi-Plasma and Single Lightning Claw and 1x Combi-Plasma and Thunder Hammer.

All of course have Runic Charms and are in a Drop Pod.

I have only played 1 game with it so far, but man does it pack a Wholop. I give up One combi-plasma but they are deadly in close combat.

And combined with my other retinue, :)

Ouch, that's one nasty Tau list. :cuss ing expensive to build, though. I may want to take another look at it, for OPFOR in the local games.

One silly question: Was the fishhead not moving his hammerheads much? You seem to have had an easier time killing them than has usually been my experience.

Nevertheless, you done good, littlbitz (for a Puppie). ;)

He was moving them.

All my shots were counted as glancing, I just think it was the sheer volume, and the Pods allowing me to avoid front armor and hit his rear on occasions that helped me.

The army really did look geared to take out Power-armor, but dropping in the way I did took away his advantage. (not to mention my luck in turn 2 when I disabled or destroyed all his Hammerheads)

It was one of those desparation moves, where it was going to work spectacularly, or go horribly wrong (like it did vs. the Eldar). This time it worked. :blush:

Archived