Assault on Odion

Rogue Trader

Rules of the Game...

(with thanks to SCC... plaugarism is the sincerest form of flattery :P)

OK, gents, the rules are simple:

Point of View: You must write from the point of view of a DIY Space Marine or Chaos Space Marine, none of the 'established' chapters (BA, DA, SW etc), this is Liber Astartes after all, so let's keep it DIY. GW's 'name and colour scheme' chapters are fine, just not the big guys - this is the chance for our DIYs to shine.

Persona: Each writer may select one Marine or Scout as a Persona. Another writer may not kill off or otherwise write someone else's Persona out of the story without prior permission. If you must kill a Marine then please kill a non-Persona character, clear? It should be clear from your writing who your Persona is, but to clarify please state your Persona's name in your first post in this thread.

Story Arc: We're going to try making this up as we go folks so always remember to leave the door open for the next writer to walk through. In other words, don't dead end the story so no one but you can get it started again. Also remember that every Marine is a hero, not just your Persona, so it's OK for you to write about someone else making the vital kill or saving the life of the commander etc. If it becomes necessary I will step in (or another Mod will) with some suggestions for folks to work from or with some fluff to kickstart things again.

Language: Remember the board rules - no swearing please folks, if you must 'swear' please use accepted ImpGoth terms such as 'feth' or 'frak'. Also remember that this is an all ages board and that particularly graphic or disturbing imagery may be edited to maintain a 'PG' rating, I'm particularly thinking of all you Slaaneshi renegades here... :lol:

Spelling & Grammar: Please try to spell and gramar check your posts where possible, nothing ruins a good story as quickly as bad spelling. Most people have access to Word to run a spell check, but if for some strange reason you don't, send your piece to me or one of the Liber mods and we'll spell check it (or at least, run it through Word ;) ) ourselves.

Please PM me questions and I will edit the Q&As into this post for all to read...

Persona: Commander Astrum, Captain of the 4th Company, Mentor Legion.

NB: Whilst the Mentor Legion squad are not my Persona, they're my back up to get the story out of trouble, so please avoid writing anything for them, OK guys?

The planet was a worthless dirtball. Millennia ago, the Imperium had repeatedly tried to colonise it, but on each occasion the settlers had perished within a few decades. Incapable of supporting even the most basic forms of life, Odion was little more than a glorified asteroid, trapped in orbit around its feeble, dying star. Worthless.

Worthless, Astrum mused, except for the fact it sat squarely astride one of the major shipping routes through the Segmentum Obscurus. After the colonisation attempts had failed, a small Fortress-Chapel had been constructed, pitifully undermanned, to hold the line against excursions from the Occulus Terribilus - the Eye of Terror.

The Magos Astronomicus estimated that within a few thousand years, the bilious star would have expanded sufficiently to swallow the tiny planet, removing any strategic value it might ever have held. Until that fateful day, it, and the Fortress-Chapel that formed the lynchpin of the Imperial presence would remain vital for the defence of the sector.

Communications had been lost with the outpost on Odion three years ago. That was nothing unusual in itself, but six months ago, as the supply route had dried up, the Astropathic Choir on Avignor picked up a faint, garbled astropathic signal. The Astropath trying to decipher the message had had to be executed, although the report Astrum had been given was silent as to the exact reason. What had been made abundantly clear from the garbled transmission was that Odion had fallen into the hands of Renegades and Traitors.

Astrum gazed at the main pict screen on the bridge of the Strike Cruiser Vigilance as it smoothly moved into geo-synchronous orbit above Odion. Sensorium sweeps had revealed recent warp trails, but the ship's cogitator was unable to determine the vessel from the engine signature. Astrum turned away, his gaze falling upon the five marines stood in the corner of the bridge. Like his own, their armour bore the white and green of the Mentor Legion. It was a signal honour for a chapter as young as the Mentors to be awarded the primacy of a crusade force, and one Astrum hoped he was worthy of

Guest No-One

Persona: Venerable Dreadnought Mathiyas commander of the Fists of Sanguinius

"Your mission is simple, to clear the left flank of the fortress of the scum" the techmarine said. In front of him stood Assault Squad Giauss and Commander Mathiyas, a dreadnought unlike any the tech had seen. Mathiyas stood three feet taller than the average dreadnought. His legs custom crafted in a double joint pattern resembling a guard's sentinal. His sarcopgagus made more like the ancient suits of armor worn by early cultures of terra, and unlike normal dreadnoughts his face was visible, made this way because he said he preffered to see his kills "face to face". His twin combat claws were made to look like giant armored gauntlets. Mathiyas looked out upon his attached squad and the drop hangar, knowing this was the last time he would see peace in a while. "Sargeant Giauss, move your men into the pod i'll prepare mine we go forth in two minutes" Mathiyas said in a gargled tone. Stepping into the Drop Pod he recited the litanies of faith, and activated the doors. Slowly closing, the doors hissed as pressure was restabalized in the pod. Mathiyas closed his eyes he hated this part.

The drop pod slammed into the canyon wall. The doors opened and Mathiyas stepped out, crushing stone beneath his weight. Surveying his surroundings he realized he was of target and he soon realized that a chaos patrol had made him out. Ducking behind the drop pod, he tried to establish a communicae with his unit. No answer. "Frak me, I'm alone in this" he said in a laugh. Squad Giauss must not have landed yet. Suddenly the crack of bolter fire sounded around him, the chaos were attacking. He charged forward full of hate. The Emperor protects, he thought as he rushed forward. "Well he better" Mathiyas said as the bolter fire began clacking against his armor.

OOC i figure that the chaos will be able to get out a warning to their fellow chaos allowing them to shore up defences

Persona: Brother-Sergeant Don'nchadh, Leader of the Brotherhood of the Bleeding Spear - Became leader after his commanding officer was killed in battle by a Land Raider. Has led the Brotherhood for the last 4 decades and runs it not on fear but on honour and respect

Sorcerer Aon'gush - a below average Sorcerer who has survived the centuries of warfare on nothing but luck. He is the only surviving Sorcerer so will have to do, but generally has to do a lot of the manual work

This leaves ten other members of the Bleeding Spear. I will slowly name these and equip them, but if anyone wants to take any of them up then they can. Depending on the Chaos intrest, I will probably take 6 of them (including Don'nchadh and Aon'gush) to keep the Chaos side active. They will run around in pairs with a lot of cultists. Look here for their temporary names and style of warfare

Brother-Sergeant Don

Guest No-One

Mathiyas crashed into the large group of cultists, unloading a few rounds of his underslung stormbolter into them. The mass-reactive bolts exploded, shattering the body of four cultists. Grabbing one cultist in his left fist and another in his right, he smashed them together. Letting them drop in a pile of gore and ichor, stepping on one of their faces as he charged upon the remaining cultist, who had activated a communication device, smashing the cultists face just as he let out a distress call. "Well they know i'm here, oh well, more faces to smash" Mathiyas said as he made his way to a better vantage point. "Wonder if Giauss and his men are ok?"

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The drop pod smashed into the soft dirt of the plain. Hissing doors opened, revealing the eight marines inside. "Fan out, secure perimeter, report positions in ten minutes" Giauss said in a whisper speaking through his vox-link. He was obviosly a veteran, his short cropped hair peppered with grey and face bearing many scars. He activated long range communication systems. "Venerable Brother Mathiyas come in, this is Sargeant Giauss, we landed in quadrant four, coordinates six-four-three-three-six" Giauss said through the secure link. "We our establishing our perimeter and awaiting commands"

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

...ing commands" Mathiyas heard over the vox-link. Auto-linking his vox-com he replied "This is Mathiyas, i'll meet up with you soon E.T.A. one hour. Hold positions until further notice, establish fire defence. Mathiyas out" Mathiyas moved toward the reported quadrant. Charging forward he moved double pace to the position shown on his holo-map.

Guest No-One

The sun was setting on him. Finally reaching the top of the hill he was climbing, Mathiyas could see the drop pod that Giauss' squad landed in. He knew that he had maybe twenty minutes of sunlight left to cover the mile between him and the pod. He knew that the damned's forces were following fast on his trail, tracking him. "Giauss come in" Mathiyas said activating his vox-link "I'll be there in about ten minutes. I'm being chased by a significant chaos force maybe fourty strong. Mathiyas out" He ran full-speed knowing he would have little time to shore up defences Nine against fourty good odds Mathiyas thought. "Yeah, we have a problem, Brother Mathiyas, we are already engaged with the enemy" Sargeant Giauss said over the vox-link, bolter and lasgun fire crackling in the background. Thats great Mathiyas thought. "Ok Giauss, i'll handle the reinforcements" Mathiyas told Giauss. "Vigilance, this is Venerable Brother Mathiyas, in need of immediate assistance, honorably requesting backup. Send to coodinates six-four-three-three-six. Mathiyas out". Well I hope they like us, Mathiyas thought as he began closing on the last hundred feet to the pod. He could see Squad Giauss battling it out with seventeen chaos cultists, he knew this was going to get ugly.....

OOC Left this open for you RT :ph34r:

Persona: Veteran Sergeant Galrain of the Warmongers 3rd company

Veteran Sergeant Galrain braced himself as the drop-pod slammed home. His restraints pulled back with a hiss, and the pods giant doors blew off in a whisp of smoke. Around him, his 4 veteran brothers of his squad spread out, taking up positions around the drop-pod. They had landed in the right coordinates, and had orders to clear the area of any cultists until the next marine forces landed. Witha leap and a quick click of the activation rune on his power sword he yelled "for the emperor!". As soon as the words came out of his mouth, he squad sped into the canyon, only to find a massive dreadnought destroying an army of cultists. "Hope he saved some for us", Brother Darles said, "Let's go squad, move out" and like a tide of fury Squad Galrain attacked the chaos hordes rear, Sergeant Galrain using his power sword and bolter to great effect. Even as they fought, another drop-pod landed near them. "Brother Sergeant?", yelled Darles over the din of battle, "No worries, i think we have friendlies!" Yelled Galrain back, he could see marines with armor similar colored of the massive dreadnought ahead of them. "Squad, lets get the rest of these heretics taken out!", "for the emperor!!!!!!!!"

Guest No-One
Mathiyas picked up one of the cultists and threw him to the right. The cultists were focusing thier fire on the dreadnought, something that Mathiyas took advantage of. "Giauss, flank and splatter, Squad Lucas close and coordinate attacks with the Warmonger's unit" Mathiyas said quitely over the vox-link. Moving through the cultists he had smashed, he began loosing rounds from both his melta and his stormbolter dropping the cultists by the second. Suddenly a silhouette of a large machine breached the hilltop. Shining his searchlight on it he could make out a mix-matched cultist vehicle a defiler, impaled corpses on it. It began lumbering towards them with a furious rage. "Great, a defiler." Mathiyas said over the vox-link. This is gonna be fun....

Persona: Master Benowyc of the Knights of Kudra. With him, a Host numbering some 35 warriors, including 6 of the chapter's 13 terminators

Aboard the small carrack Mors Ex Caliburnus, the Host made ready for battle.

"My Lord Benowyc, we must deploy! The engines of the Thunderhawk have been blessed, as have the warriors' weapons. All the Rites of Battle have been observed. We merely await your order."

Benowyc smiled at the young Brother-Knight's impatience.

"We wait. There are few enough of us here. Would you attack in haste, and risk wasting our strength when a more important target presents itself?"

Turning back to the hololith in front of him, he continued: "Besides, this way our brother chapters can find the heaviest defences for us to crack for them, Brother Shalao...and we can win all the glory!"

Laughing at this, Shalao left the cramped bridge to tell the assembled warriors that their patience was to be further tried before they could fight.

Persona: Veteran Sergeant Galrain of the Warmongers 3rd company

Sergeant Galrain threw the last heretic to the ground, snapping its spine on a large rock. He looked back at his squad, and they looked at him in turn. Brother Arameo, had short black hair, and many battle scars, Brother Darles, had long blonde hair, with a very strange look on his face. Brothers Martel and Leon had been crushed by a defiler that had emerged to face the Dreadnought they had fought with. Galrain had tried to save their bodies, but they had been destroyed by the defilers autocannons. Brother Arameo looked at Galrain, a veteran of over 100 years, his long black hair blowing in the wind, and noticed something about him, sadness. He had always been a joyfull marine back at the Warmongers fortress monastery, but now, he was grim, and Arameo could see the anger in his eyes. "Brothers," Galrain spoke, "we wait for no one, get back to the drop-pod and ready our jump-packs, these heretics will burn. Even as he turned to leave, a large artillery round struck the ground beside him, throwing him in to the air. He landed with a thud, and with a grunt, tried to pull himself up. "Damn Defiler", he swore over the vox. "Sir, are you alright?", it was brother Darles, who was running towards him. "wait, you fool!", even as he spoke, Brother Darles was shot to pieces by the defiler. "Damn You heretics!", Brother Arameo, get the long range vox out of the drop-pod, now!". Seconds later Arameo appeared with a large long range vox set. "Code encripted to captain Aravos, By sergeant Galrain. Captain, i need use of some of your men, seconds later a reply. "Sergeant, what happened?"our men were attacked by a defiler, i need devestator squad Ixos, and squads Carthon and Helos. "Confirmed brother, but they need leadership, so i will be joining you. "Confirmed, Galrain, over and out". What now brother-sergeant?" asked Arameo. "We wait, and then we deliver the emperor's justice on these traitors.

OOC: Can we remove any reference to yellow chaos vehicles, as the brotherhood only have 12 members, all infantry. Either remove their yellow links or remove the vehicles. When more chaos players turn up up they will have more machines for you to kill, if none sign up over night, I will make a numerous chaos force join in

Ferrata

In Answer to Jimmy's qusetion to keep this thread clean insert (COLOR=orange) before text and (/COLOR) after. Exchanging ( for [ and ) for ]

Guest No-One

OOC sorry about the vehicle thing changed it to a defiler to match melechor

Mathiyas moved forward and waved a hand to Galrain. "We need to find a way to down that defiler. The fortress is just over that hill, but that defiler stands in the way". Saying this he ordered Squad Giauss and Lucas to follow and stay down. Moving into the crater where Galrain and his men were hunkered down, followed by Squads Giauss and Lucas. "What are we going to do?" Mathiyas inquired. "Its got us pinned." looking to his surrounding men he noticed that Lucas' squad was missing a man. "Wheres Brother Beo?" Lucas looked up with a angry look "The Defiler got him. He saved me by killing himself" Looking over the edge of the crater the Defiler was closing at a very slow pace testing the water. We need to drop that thing but it wont get in range....

"Now."

The word echoed briefly around the teleportarium of Mors Ex Caliburnus, before the rushing hum of the towering machinery overwhelmed it. The six hulking figures on the platform shone bright with power before disappearing in a rush of displaced air.

On the surface, there was a thunderclap as the terminators appeared, scant centimetres above the ground. They stumbled briefly, cursing the tech-priests that had chanted their co-ordinates, before the leader, Rheged, restored order.

"Sir Lloegres, you see that defiler over there? Take its legs out before our brethren have to eat more of its tainted munitions."

Inside his helmet, Lloegres grinned ferally as he took aim, his armour already bracing itself for the punishing recoil of the massive multi-barrelled cannon he carried. Heartbeats later, the muzzle of his assault cannon belching flame and roaring fit to rouse the dead, he opened fire.

The first few rounds kicked up spurts of water before Lloegres adjusted his aim slightly. The daemon engine screamed as the armoured mantlet covering its left legs began to deform under the high-velocity impacts, chunks of tainted steel flying away.

The turret began to turn ponderously towards the heavily armoured figures, for all the world like the tortured body of some wounded centaur. Before the gaping barrel of its heavy cannon could be brought to bear, Lloegres' fire finally chewed through its legs and the foul war engine half fell.

It was clear that the defiler was still dangerous, but for now, at least, it could not threaten the advancing loyalists

-------

"He did what!?"

Shalao swallowed before replying "Teleported down, my lord. Cmdr Mathiyas' men were pinned down by a defiler, so Rheged, Lloegres, Prydein, Melyn, Lial and Wyrr dropped to assist."

Benowyc fumed silently at his subordinates' foolhardy impatience, drumming his power-armoured fingertips upon the hilt of his powersword.

"He has forced our hand, Shalao: we can't sit around and let Rheged and his recklessness ruin the plan. If he carries on like this he'll have all the glory, and enough sway with the Inner Circle to replace me as Master!

"No, we can't just sit here. Shalao, prepare the men for deployment. We drop at once!"

Persona: Lord-Commander/Librarian Aftiel, The Angel of Twilight.

Accompanying him is Brother-Chaplain Uriel, The Angel of Divining Light.

Combat Forces include the following:

1 Detachment from the Incinerator (3rd) Company (Incinerator Squad Puriel) consisting of a total of 6 Incinerator Marines. These individuals may be split amongst the other forces or operate on their own, depending on the mission at hand.

1 Tactical Squad consisting of 8 Marines each (Tactical Squad Arioch)

1 Devastator Squad consisting of 6 Marines (Devastator Squad Ziquiel)

1 Dreadnought with Assault Cannon, CCW, Heavy Flamer (Dreadnought Kezef, The Angel of Destruction)

2 Predators (Barakiel with Lascannon Turret, Bolter Sponsons and Cheriour with Autocannon and Bolter Sponsons)

Take note that the Shadows Angelus are a loyal Marine Chapter, but they are very reclusive (almost making the Dark Angels seem like the Imperial Fists), and are not entirely trusted by anyone due to both their secretive nature and the fact that they have been known to make use of Xeno-Tech. This has made them enemies of the Adeptus Mechanicus (and those that are close to them) as well as those that are close to them, putting them almost in the same boat as the Relictors are in. Due to the very secretive nature of the Shadows Angelus, it is entirely possible that they could be a totally unknown force

Guest No-One
Seeing the barogue knights cripple the Defiler, Mathiyas took it upon him self to lead the charge. "Galrain, you wouldn't be wanting to missing on the fun would you." Lifting himself over the crater's edge he charged forward as the turret turned to combat the Knights. Galrain, Squad Giauss, Squad Lucas, and Galrain's compliment unit all followed suit. Running all-out he slammed into the Defiler with a righteous fury. "Lets see who gets the kill" Mathiyas hollared back to the others....

Sergeant Galrain was right behind dreadnought mathiyas, with the remaining members of his squad. He lifted his powersword and stabbed it into the daemon-machine, hearing its roar as the power-sword tore apart millenia old circuitry. With a cry Brother Arameo lept on one of the beasts legs, planting a melta bomb next to the cannon. With a roar, the beast ripped the bomb off, and threw it away. Brother Darles placed well-aimed bolter fire in the defilers eyes, temporarily blinding it as the remained of the allied forces, including dreadnought mathiyas, tore the defiler apart...

Guest No-One

OOC we need to know what the fortress looks like and if wee can attack it cause we cant kill ferrata's men this early

Commander Mathiyas walked steadily up to his men. Looking over them, and staring each one in the eye. "Giauss take your men west, scout the fortress and find a suitable attack plan. Lucas, I want a hundred yard perimeter set up, if you find any cultists shoot to kill. I will stay here and wait for orders from the Vigilance, ok move out" With that the men hefted their bolters Giauss' men skulked towards the hill that led to the fortress and Lucas and his men fanned out. "Vigilance, this is Mathiyas, requesting orders, wee are establishing a secure perimeter and awaiting your command" Mathiyas said over the long-range vox communicator. He looked at his surroundings, and had a bad feeling about this whole campaign....

OOC: Kill as many cultists as you want, they are cannon fodder. If you want vehicles, keep them to similar stuff to the guard, or cheap trucks like the orks. Buggies with the larger guns on etc.

Brother-Sergeant Don

Astrum growled under his breath. The battleplan had been simple - deploy three klicks from the target, then move in and re-take the Fortress from the traitors that held it.

Yet looking at the deployment map displayed on the bridge pict-screen, he could see the numerous loyalist forces milling about some seven or eight klicks from the Fortress.

The grating voice of the Dreadnought came again over the vox, this time requesting orders - fifteen minutes ago, it had been requesting reinforcements to deal with a handful of cultists and a Defiler, despite that fact that there were overwhelming loyal forces in the immediate vicinity. Astrum briefly wondered if the life-support systems in the ancient machine were malfunctioning, perhaps starving the venerable warrior entombed within of life-giving oxygen. That was the only possible reason Astrum could see for a veteran of innumerable battles to be acting like a green scout. He knew he was lucky to have trained with the best tacticians the galaxy had to offer in his centuries with the Mentor Legion, but surely other Chapters had some semblance of tactical training...

Murmuring a litany of calm, he flicked the vox to 'transmit'.

"Ancient Brother Mathiyas, there has been no change to your orders since since you deployed - re-take the Fortress-Chapel from the traitor forces that currently hold it. Retrieval boats are standing by in the event you consider the mission beyond your abilities."

Astrum flicked the vox back to 'recieve' and strode across the bridge to the command throne, the servos of his armour whirring as he moved. Catching Poilus' eye, he nodded.

"Prepare yourselves, brothers. It seems if you want something done properly round here, you have to do it yourself"

Guest No-One
Mathiyas moved over to Giauss. "What news?" Mathiyas asked "The fortress is crawling with cultists, maybe a hundred or more strong but no sign of their Chaos leaders, maybe they've holed up somewhere else." Giauss reported "If we move soon we can take them" Mathiyas turned to Brother-Sargeant Lucas and nodded "We move now, prepare for combat." Mathiyas marched forward in a quick pace, followed closely by Giauss and Lucas. As they rounded the top of the hill, they laid eyes on the fortress, as Giauss said it was indeed crawling with the cultists and many vehicles rode about, mix-mashed buggies and trucks resembling an orc-xeno creation. Impaled bodies littered the ground, offerings to false-gods no doubt. Mathiyas, hiding behind a large obelisk, jumped on the back of a nearby truck, smashing the driver and passenger. Turning he fired a burst from his storm bolter, the mass-reactive rounds taking the cultists entire upper body off in a spray of blood. "Move in, one shot, one kill" Mathiyas said over the vox-link. The rest of his unit burst forward, thanks to their jump-packs. Following their example Squad Lucas charged their bolters blazing, Brother Carlos loosing rounds from his heavy bolter ripping a cultist buggie in half. Mathiyas charged forward, ripping heads from bodies and smashing others beneath his massive weight. He slammed into the armored doors of the fortress, not caring about the lasgun fire clacking against his armor. Finally the doors opened, weakened by a shot from his melta. Crashing through he spotted a cultist running, he charged upon him, trampling him under his massive girth. Moving ahead he came to a massive antechamber where the cult had erected a massive chaos symbol. Mathiyas charged into it bowling it over with his giant gauntlets and loosing round after round of his storm bolter into it, until it lay there shattered. Mathiyas activated his vox-link "the fortres is secure what about the outside?" Lucas piped in "We're rounding up whats left of them as we speak. Lucas out." The fortress/starport was their now........

Archived