Michigan, USA

Allerka

I mainly hang around 21st Century Comics & Games, also in East Lansing. Friday nights are their gaming nights - mostly Warmachine, but there's several 40K players around as well.

If a gaming group were to form in this area, as long as attendance is flexible i'd be up for it!

Earthen, i'll check that store out and see, do you go there often?

yup good group of people too. mix of very skilled to beginner

Righto... Soon as I can get my jeep to quite having oil and fuel system related problems, i'm there! I'll make sure to try and time it maybe meet up with you or some of the people who go there, so i'm not the random guy walking in. By then I just might have enough for a quick game with my SW.

i live in between lansing and grand rapids so i primarilly go to rider hobby shop to get some of my stuff ya know if have the right army you can get 10% off of certain but this saturday i'm going to the novi store for the first time and i hear it's BIG w/ 6 tables. my first gw store visit was in atlanta (techincally it was in buford in the mall of georgia) but if any of you are going to be there on saturday i'll be happy to fight you. ps i'm still converting from tau only marine figure i have is pedro kantor.

I'm in the Flint, MI area. Gaming space here is sorta' limited, we've got Gamer's Sanctuary for the most flexible hours and space and Rider's Hobby, which (While I am biased being gainfully employed there...) has *some* game space, really isn't highly conducive to gaming. Other than that, most gaming in our area is in people's basements. Sadly.

live down the street from the GW at Great Lakes Crossing.

Make occasional trips to the Rochester store and irregular pilgrimages to Pandemonium.

Looking forward to the Sterling Heights store opening.

As of a couple weeks ago, I work in Flint - gonna have to look into Gamers Sanctuary.

drive by Gamer's Square in Sterling Heights and checked the building out. They've really got... nothing going or done (store front still has the "For Lease" sign still in the window). I don't foresee them being open any time soon, sadly.

For those that haven't been to the GW in Novi, it's quite the experience. Staff is nice and for the most part leave people alone rather than the stereotypical "ZOMG WELCOME TO THE STORE! HOW CAN I BETTER HELP YOU SPEND ALL OF YOUR MONEY WHILE YOU'RE HERE?" that you get from most of the other GWs. The building is massive. It does indeed hold 6 4x4' gaming tables, but they're cramped when they're busy on the weekends. But compared to Rochester, they're huge and compared to GLC they're ginormous. they also have a painting/chilling corner in the back, quite size-able too.

pic from Planetstrike tourney weekend:

http://www.evicerator.com/evicerator/pictures/warhammer/gw12oaks.jpg

so aside from the GW locales in the area, G.O.B. Retail, and Pandemonium does anyone know of a decent gaming store for people to meet up and get some 40k going in the Warren, Troy, Sterling Heights, Shelby area? GW stores are overcrowded, G.O.B. is ... not really geared towards miniature gaming as their tables are 3' off the ground, and Pandemonium is a decent trek from Warren. Used to go up to Blue Dragon games, but sadly they shut their doors a coupla months back.

Edited by Evicerator

• 2 weeks later...

hey all i am always looking for new people in michigan to play and greet! i go to the west oaks 2 location in novi. if anyone wants to meet me and my friends there to play some time let me know

mckoll

ps we'll be there on the 29th of augest all day

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I've been trying to keep my blog updated semi-regularly with activities from the 40K Fight Club Garden City chapter events. Latest updates include their chapter tournament and pics of our Planetstrike league that started this past week.

• 3 weeks later...

SO i'm looking for a group of gamers in the rapid river/esky area of the UP ;) i'm moving out there early december and would love to find a group in the area up to bangin out some 40k

Hit me up if anyone is up for a few games once i'm in the area ;)

Kind of breaks my heart to see all you guys over towards Lansing and Detriot. I live up in West Branch, but am currently (and for the foreseeable future) attending Ferris State University in Big Rapids, about an hour north of Grand Rapids. If anyone's in the area(s), send me a PM.

Well, that's pretty much where the concentration of people and stores is. Just look at the store finder map, there's over a dozen stores in the greater Detroit area, including the four GW stores, Lansing has 3-5 stores in its area...

Looks like I'll be moving to Grand Rapids in a few months to start classes at GVSU, anyone have any experience with either of the stores in that area? (Rider's in Grand Rapids, and Cobblestone in Holland)

Cobblestone is a pretty cool place, though Holland is a bit of a drive for me to get to (I live on the east end of Grand Rapids).

Rider's up here sucks. No gaming tables, stock is iffy. There's no drive in the store to put any gaming in. So they'll take your money, but you're on your own for a place to play.

There is a growing 40k group that meets irregularly at White Cap Comics (look it up online). The store doesn't keep any GW product in stock, but they can/will order it. The players are mostly pretty cool; were I not in law school, I'd be out there more often. Terrain/tables aren't the best, but I find that the quality of players can often overcome that. It's not a high-end place by any stretch of the imagination. But hey, it's a place to game, and they don't charge.

Great Lakes Warhammer League has a division in GR, so if you play Fantasy you can meet a few players through that - not all of them play 40k, but some do.

If you play LotR, then shoot me a message, cause a small group of us get together for that in East Grand Rapids monthly.

Hope that helps you poor GR people.

Kind of breaks my heart to see all you guys over towards Lansing and Detriot. I live up in West Branch, but am currently (and for the foreseeable future) attending Ferris State University in Big Rapids, about an hour north of Grand Rapids. If anyone's in the area(s), send me a PM.

Check out 40K Fight Club. I know there is a group of guys who play near Grand Rapids. I think they meet at some guys barn, but once a month all play at a local store.

Edited by Rhellion

Cobblestone is a pretty cool place, though Holland is a bit of a drive for me to get to (I live on the east end of Grand Rapids).

Rider's up here sucks. No gaming tables, stock is iffy. There's no drive in the store to put any gaming in. So they'll take your money, but you're on your own for a place to play.

There is a growing 40k group that meets irregularly at White Cap Comics (look it up online). The store doesn't keep any GW product in stock, but they can/will order it. The players are mostly pretty cool; were I not in law school, I'd be out there more often. Terrain/tables aren't the best, but I find that the quality of players can often overcome that. It's not a high-end place by any stretch of the imagination. But hey, it's a place to game, and they don't charge.

Great Lakes Warhammer League has a division in GR, so if you play Fantasy you can meet a few players through that - not all of them play 40k, but some do.

If you play LotR, then shoot me a message, cause a small group of us get together for that in East Grand Rapids monthly.

Hope that helps you poor GR people.

No tables at Rider's? Blah, that sucks. They're a bit closer to where I'll be than Cobblestone, but the map looks like it'll be upwards of a half-hour or more away. I'll have to see if there's any local clubs at GVSU, maybe I can get something going (I've got some props and experience with running campaigns, too, that'll probably lure some people in).

I see there's three of those White Cap Comics stores, which one are you referring to? I have a bunch of good terrain I bought from Sabol's Boneyard when they actually sold stuff, enough for a full table with a couple pieces left over for variety. I'm looking to start Fantasy too, so I guess that's something to. I don't do LotR, though, nor do I have any plans to start at this time. Thanks!

Check out 40K Fight Club. I know there is a group of guys who play near Grand Rapids. I think they meet at some guys barn, but once a month all play at a local store.

40KFC is an option, definitely, though they tend to kick people out if you move away or anything (at least, that's what happened to me).

• 2 weeks later...

Chalk me up as another in the Metro Detroit area. I mostly go to the Great Lakes Crossing store, but I live very close to the Hampton Village one so it's a good place to buy stuff easily. I used to be a very regular customer at GLC about 2-3 years ago but fell out of the hobby a bit. Now I try to make it up there once every 2 weeks or so just to catch up with old friends and the manager, all very cool people.

I've shelved pretty much every army I own (a lot) since they look terrible due to being done when I was still a rookie modeler/painter. I enjoy those aspects of the hobby more than gaming and I don't currently have a playable army that I'm proud of appearance-wise, so right now I don't play games. Hopefully somewhat soon I'll have a force I'm happy with and get my feet wet in 5th Edition.

Anyways there's a regular crowd at both stores and I recommend checking out at least the GLC location - it makes up for its small size with a friendly atmosphere without much Redshirt interference or Little'un annoyances.

• 2 weeks later...

For what it's worth, Michigan Toy Soldier Company In Royal Oak (on 11 Mile 3/4 of a mile West of I-75 (Exit 62) or 2 Miles East of Woodward Ave) started carrying GW stock some months back. They have just a basic selection, but do special orders - their real strength is their supply of Vallejo Paints, MiG Pigments, styrene, 1/35th scale models, and just about everything else but miniatures. The staff is cool, although the majority of them don't paint or are more into the historical modeling side of things.

Any word on the store opening up on Van Dyke near the MJR theaters? I actually hadn't been back in this thread since my last post quite a few months ago and didn't realize there's a few more gamers closer to my side of town than the Novi store where I usually go (if I go... I'm definitely more of a painter/modeler than a gamer, but I'm plugging away at my CSM Warband and now a Renegades 'n' Heretics Vraks force w/ Nurgle/Khorne allies.) I also didn't realize something was moving back into the area around where Old Guard used to be...

By all means, if someone wants to drop me an email or something to get together on a weekend at one of the local stores, feel free. Unfortunately (still) unemployed at the moment and generally busy weekdays, but I can "schedule" with my wife for a weekend painting/gaming day. (Not sure if I've got email linked through the forums here, but I've got my address on my painting site/blog.)

For what it's worth, Michigan Toy Soldier Company In Royal Oak (on 11 Mile 3/4 of a mile West of I-75 (Exit 62) or 2 Miles East of Woodward Ave) started carrying GW stock some months back. They have just a basic selection, but do special orders - their real strength is their supply of Vallejo Paints, MiG Pigments, styrene, 1/35th scale models, and just about everything else but miniatures. The staff is cool, although the majority of them don't paint or are more into the historical modeling side of things.

Any word on the store opening up on Van Dyke near the MJR theaters? I actually hadn't been back in this thread since my last post quite a few months ago and didn't realize there's a few more gamers closer to my side of town than the Novi store where I usually go (if I go... I'm definitely more of a painter/modeler than a gamer, but I'm plugging away at my CSM Warband and now a Renegades 'n' Heretics Vraks force w/ Nurgle/Khorne allies.) I also didn't realize something was moving back into the area around where Old Guard used to be...

By all means, if someone wants to drop me an email or something to get together on a weekend at one of the local stores, feel free. Unfortunately (still) unemployed at the moment and generally busy weekdays, but I can "schedule" with my wife for a weekend painting/gaming day. (Not sure if I've got email linked through the forums here, but I've got my address on my painting site/blog.)

I guess Gamers Square near MJR was planning on a bank loan, and it never happened (what I was told). So no store as far as I've heard.

I actually moved from Eastpointe last year to Berkley, and I had no idea about Michigan Toy Soldier Company! I'm going to have to check it out, as I live in 12 mile and Woodward area.

Driving to Novi isn't much closer to driving to Pandemonium, if you ever want to try and make it out there. We play every Tuesday night, and regularly fill 4 to 8 6x4 tables with games. We are finishing our last week of our Planetstrike League this week, so there will be plenty of open gaming.

Edited by Rhellion

Driving to Novi isn't much closer to driving to Pandemonium, if you ever want to try and make it out there. We play every Tuesday night, and regularly fill 4 to 8 6x4 tables with games. We are finishing our last week of our Planetstrike League this week, so there will be plenty of open gaming.

When do you guys generally start? I'm working up in Flint, so I've got a long way to go to get down there on a Tuesday night.

Yes! This store is amazing. It's huge and has all the supplies you could ever need for a hobby project - I've bought Apoxie Sculpt, Milliput, all kinds of plasticard + rod, along with their massive inventory of MiG and Vallejo. They also stock more than a room's worth of terrain/basing material from different companies, mostly for railroad or historical modelers.

Old Guard and the Ryder Hobby near Oakland Mall used to carry a lot of this stuff (especially basing material at Ryder), but they both shut down. I discovered the Toy Soldier Company a few months ago and never looked back. Their GW stock is very light, but as stated they can order stuff and the Rochester GW is only about 15 min. away up I-75, and their prices are almost the same (you can register on the TSC website and become a preferred customer to get %10 off all purchases though!). The store's strength is in its mammoth inventory of anything else you'd ever need.

Didn't mean to gush, and I'm not affiliated with them in any way, but it really is a great store.

As for meeting up, it's always cool finding new people in the area and I'd be up for it, but to be honest I don't have a standing army right now. If I get the one I'm working on done I'll drop you a line.

When do you guys generally start? I'm working up in Flint, so I've got a long way to go to get down there on a Tuesday night.

Games at Pandemonium start as early as 4pm but they are open until 12am on weekdays, so there are late games. And yeah, Flint is a bit of a drive. I know there is a Lansing chapter, and I think there might be a Flint chapter.

Edited by Rhellion