Least represented PH legion

I don't know what happen to my other post ( Maybe I didn't post it. My computer been acting up lately) , but I was wondering which legion is least represented in their PH forms by the gaming community. I always see Emperor Children, World Eaters, Death Guard, Thousand Sons, and Sons of Horus done.

So what legions are least represented ?

I'm thinking Word Bearers and White Scars

To be honest, the only ones which seem to be relatively common (as it is quite a niche interest!) are World Eaters, Emperors Children, Lunar Wolves/Sons of Horus, Death Guard and Thousand Sons. However, even the armies of these are relatively few and far between.

Personally, I would just go with whatever your gut instinct tells you. Think of the style of legion you want, the paint scheme and modelling you are comfortable with, and work backwards from there.

Pre-heresy, they were grey. The problemn with them is that they are basically a 40k space marine chapter... in which case you might as well do Relictors and not have to bother sourcing/sculpting all the bits that make a force pre-heresy...

I thought the PH Word Bearers were black? Yeah I thought the PH Alpha Legion would be a good idea, but after reading the what if the loyalist legion turn on the emperor and reading about Khan killing whole villages I was thinking the White Scars could be it. Has anyone seen PH Dark Angels, Imperial Fist, or Space Wolves?

Well, PH fists run into the problem of PH ultra marines....pretty much the same. PH space wolves would just have a darker grey color scheme, otherwise be essentially the same (I personally like that idea more than the powder blue).

What I would like to see is either Nightlords, Alpha Legion, Deathguard or Raven Guard. PH armies are rather rare to find all around, so I think that whatever floated your boat could be a "rare" army to see around.

I thought the PH Word Bearers were black? Yeah I thought the PH Alpha Legion would be a good idea, but after reading the what if the loyalist legion turn on the emperor and reading about Khan killing whole villages I was thinking the White Scars could be it. Has anyone seen PH Dark Angels, Imperial Fist, or Space Wolves?

Pre-heresy Dark Angels are pretty common. At least around this region.

Most of the Pre-Heresy chapters you never see suffer from a lack of divergence from their post-heresy brothers. So I can not honestly recall seeing any pre-heresy Ultramarines, Imperial Fists, Raven Guard, etc.

I've seen a number of Iron Legion/Iron Warriors Primarchs but rarely pre-heresy marines.

The most common are easily the obvious Emperor's Children, Thousand Sons, Death Guard, World Eater's, Sons of Horus, Blood Angels, Dark Angels, and Space Wolves.

If I were to make a suggestion I'd say Word Bearers (which were gunmetal grey pre-heresy), Night Lords, Alpha Legion, or Iron Legion. Most of the loyalists didn't change much post-heresy and the ones that did are the ones you often see armies for.

What GW colors would best represent gunmetal grey so I can get a Idea. I rather like the idea of PH iron warriors, their symbol was better before it was chaosifed. What would be rarer Sons of Horus or Lunar Wolves?

Boltgun metal with soft highlights using a mix of mithril silver and boltgun metal (with a few crisp highlights at sharp corners) would be the most direct way of doing such.

Otherwise I'd probably say to use the glazing method to paint layers of codex grey. Lunchbox has a decent tutorial on glazing in the tutorial section.

Anyone bearing the livery of the Lunar Wolves would be far rarer than the Sons of Horus from a modern fluff perspective. As far as number of models I've seen, it's pretty equal, although I'd give the edge to Lunar Wolves since most people can't stand painting the hideous pea/seafoam green that became standard with the Sons of Horus.

• 2 weeks later...
Debate still rages over what colour the Alpha Legion are actually supposed to be! The cover of 'Legion' contradicts much of the artwork in the HH artbooks, which makes the armour seem more 'blue' in hue, although that may just be the artists perogative!

The thing is a lot of the legions had very non-standard paint/equipment schemes. There was a lot more diversity within a legion than in today's chapters. I'd frankly expect to see blue and purple Alpha Legion as well as probably camo painted ones.

Archived