Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Alpha Legion Purple?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
34 replies to this topic

Doghouse

Doghouse

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 7,194 posts
The biggest thing that puts me off doing Alpha Legion is the purple colour scheme.
This rough test model is what I think the colour most probably looks like but am not entirely sure.
What do you guys think?

Posted Image

Truescale MKIII Tutorial

Rain

Rain

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,201 posts
Posted Image

Looks blue to me, shade appears to be darker than Ultras but lighter than Night Lords.

"I remember the day. The day the sky burned as the Dead Emperor's pet butchers descended on Old Badab to tear down all that we had built in His own name. It was in the final hours of that day that I scourged the wings from my breastplate forever. I remember the day. I remember, and so will they."

-Szadek Katarr, Warleader of the Red Corsairs

Angry Chaos Player™ since the dawn of Gav

Doghouse

Doghouse

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 7,194 posts
Yeah I thought it was blue as well but Legion mentions it being purple.

Truescale MKIII Tutorial

Rain

Rain

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,201 posts
To be honest I like your take on it better, but it is "supposed" to be blue, maybe Abnett is just colorblind :) .

"I remember the day. The day the sky burned as the Dead Emperor's pet butchers descended on Old Badab to tear down all that we had built in His own name. It was in the final hours of that day that I scourged the wings from my breastplate forever. I remember the day. I remember, and so will they."

-Szadek Katarr, Warleader of the Red Corsairs

Angry Chaos Player™ since the dawn of Gav

Allerka

Allerka

+LEXICANIUM+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,048 posts
No, their colorscheme has been retconned multiple times. Now their PH scheme is a purple with silver trim, and then a mix of blue and green post-heresy that looks suspiciously like my own Chapter... ;)

Looks pretty good to me, Doghouse, maybe a hair bright, but that might just be the flash.

Brother-chaplain Astador

Brother-chaplain Astador

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 659 posts
It looks good though I would make it a little darker, just to distance from the EC...

Vodunius

Vodunius

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,948 posts

Posted Image

Looks blue to me,

Therein lies the answer, there was a thread on the old Pre-Heresy forums that consisted of several pages of argument about that very picture: some people look at that colour and classify it as blue, whilst other people look at the exact same picture and classify it as purple (I'm still on the fence myself). My theory is that Abnett is in the latter category, not that he was referring to a different colour.
i hate to break it to you chaps, but according to the English Language a Chevron is a V shape, if your 'Chevrons' are not V shaped then they are just hazard stripes NOT Chevrons

Horus killed Sanguinius so hard that his entire chapter feels it forever..

Allerka

Allerka

+LEXICANIUM+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,048 posts
Well, the IA picture looks blue to me, maybe kinda purplish.

Looking at the cover of Legion, most of his armor looks about the same shade of blue, though, depending on the amount of light shining on a given part of his armor, I'd swear it looks purple.

So...yeah. I dunno what to say. :P

Jarulek

Jarulek

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 156 posts
Great paintjob! :D

As for the colour; the exact colour of pre-heresy Word Bearers is also a debate. Some say black, some say grey, some even say greenish. Though it's suppose to be granite coloured. The artwork of the Legion-clour looks purple to me too.
"Human Existence must be some kind of error"
-Arthur Schopenhauer-

Ready to betray humanity?

Warsmith Klegane

Warsmith Klegane

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 422 posts
I'd be going for Prussian blue myself as it seems to have the purpley blue hue to it that makes the Alpha Legion look so cool.

"Hate is good as any to keep a person going, better then most."

Sandor Clegane.

Brother Richard

Brother Richard

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 633 posts
I don't believe I know more than two other artists who could possibly apply an idea with the skill you have, so it is hard to provide any critic.

I would like to offer the following as my opinion though: Consider the secretiveness of the legion, regardless of the authors skills, they are a very clandestine type unit. Always working behind the scenes, going for a greater plan in all that they do. Your purple is so reminiscent of Soul Drinkers and other chapters that it is like trying to paint a blue that doesn't smack of smurf.

I quick glance at your avatar gave me the idea of toning down the purple, wash it out with grey. The idea being that several pre heresy units are different variations of greys, and anyone who survived contact with these troops would have nothing to report beyond, 'Uh, they waz big, and quite, and I dunno it was kinda hard to tell the color'.

Best of luck. I can't wait to see this work out.
THERE IS NO SUBSTITUTE FOR ZEAL!

lucas

lucas

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 29 posts
If you look at this picture you'll see what GW posted up on their Australian website.
http://oz.games-work.../AL_sires_b.jpg

Here's the rest of the gallery of other pre-heresy paint schemes:
http://oz.games-work...re_heresy/2.htm

The Australian site has to be the worst one I've seen, yet it's the only one where I was able to find this gallery.

It seems to be the blue and silver trim that somebody mentioned. Regardless of what you choose, that's a terrific paint job and a great marine.

Hope it helps!

Lucas

Edited by lucas, 15 September 2008 - 08:52 PM.

Daeothar

Daeothar

++ IRASCOR CALIGATO ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 5,140 posts
It used to be blue and green, blended into eachother at differnt parts of the armour. Later, they used complete segments in either colour. I always thought the blue and green made for a sort of seagreen, which fits, sort of, with their Hydra theme. :yes:

As for the AUS site; that colourcombination reminds me of Decepticons for some reason... :tu:
Posted Image
Posted Image

QUOTE (Lord_Gotharion @ Dec 20 2008, 12:43 PM)
"I'm the most dangerous blazing orange wearing, golden heraldry shaking, purity seal infested marine on this side of the Maelstrom, so PHEAR MEH!"

'Just think how stupid the average person is, and then realize that half of them are even stupider!' - George Carlin

Razrhaghul

Razrhaghul

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 172 posts
hmm from the looks of the IA article it was basically nauseating blue, an OOP paint that was a sort of mixed purple/blue.
really it comes down to personal preference, but i like the idea of a dulled darker purple, like a mix of shadow grey and liche purple, or whatever the equivalent colors are in other ranges.

Doghouse

Doghouse

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 7,194 posts
Thanks for the feedback guys, it's a great help! B)

I've re-read he key parts of Legion and the colour described in there is purple but there is no mention of shade. The first picture isn't really a true representation of the colour so here's a truer version of the colour I'm doing from my camera phone:

Posted Image

Truescale MKIII Tutorial

Octavulg

Octavulg

+LEXICANIUM+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 8,018 posts
I think a little more blue might be in order, but that's me.

Proud author of the Ice Lords, the Bronze Prophets, the Stone Hearts, the Steel Dogs and the The Marines Tenebric.

The Octaguide - Your very long guide to very long IAs

Help me update the Big Liber Timeline!

"Wake up. Pray. Train. Pray. Drop screaming through the atmosphere from low orbit into a raging battlefield, and take the fight to enemies that may outnumber us by as little as three to one. Do battle with the most horrific enemies of mankind imaginable and charge into lines of weapons that could shred a tank into ribbons. Afterward, lunch, time permitting." - Marshal Arturas, 15/05/08

Pulse

Pulse

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,858 posts
I think the colour is spot on mate for the Legion. It never says anything about the colour being blue or even Purpley-blue. It clearly says purple and as far as i can remember it always has been purple.

Magnus Thane

Magnus Thane

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,200 posts
I always read they were purple and have seen many AL with that color.
HOWEVER the color on that piccie and also in the codex seems to be... blue.
Though i prefer purple/green for the AL.

Iacton

Iacton

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 353 posts
Mauve maybe even indigo.

And that is mauve to me.

Unfortunately the reprints, scans etc on that IA article can make the colour look either blue or purple. It's a really hard colour to nail - especially when you go to highlight and shade.

Looks pretty much dead on to me.
[url=http://www.wamp-forum.com/VB4/index.php?referrerid=86][img=http://i833.photobucket.com/albums/zz252/wamp-forum/WobblyWAMP.gif][/url]

Blindhammer

Blindhammer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 185 posts
The second pic looks really good.

I always imagined their armour to have a sheen where it shifts from blue to purple as you change the viewing angle.

Gideon Bane

Gideon Bane

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 119 posts
I'd run it blue base with a purple wash
Penetrating so many secrets, we cease to believe in the unknowable. But there it sits nevertheless, calmly licking its chops.

- H. L. Mencken, in Minority Report (1956)

esinhorn

esinhorn

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,236 posts
The second pic is much better
I think you got it

Allerka

Allerka

+LEXICANIUM+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,048 posts

The second pic is much better
I think you got it

Ditto. Looks great to me.

Eiric Hakon

Eiric Hakon

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 380 posts
Hey

Nice paint job Doghouse! I too think there should be a tad more blue in there.

Forgive me, but the only thing I don't like about the model is the wing on the side of the bolter.
If anyone has any of the articles and tutorials on painting and modelling from the Game Workshop site before the update please PM me!

The Emperor's Champion

The Emperor's Champion

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 10,730 posts
Well Indigo being the dead split between blue and violet I think you can safely say they ARE in fact indigo.
Posted Image
An there you can see that it CLEARLY isn't just blue.

"The ltramarines are the greatest of all Space Marine Chapters. From the dawn of the Imperium they have served the Emperor with loyalty and a ferocity that no others can match." "in faith and in valour they are unmatched." "The ltramarines are the exemplars of the Space Marines, the purest and noblest of all Adeptus Astartes." "Many hold the ltramarines to be the rightful heir not only of Guilliman, but of the Emperor himself." ~Games-Workshop

Names & Ranks Of The Ultramarines Chapter & Legion

The Codex Astartes: Taking Away The Freedom Of The Astartes To Pigeonhole Themselves,
And Restricting Them To Supreme Flexibility Since M31