= 1,000 Chapter Gallery Project =

Philip S

This is possibly the coolest thing i have ever seen!

I'm glad you think so.

Keep up the good work and GW should of had this on THEIR site!!!

They really missed the bus on this one!!

Indeed! While there is a space we shall fill the void!

i'll let you know when that happens cos I will have corrected quite a few mistakes by then aswell.

There are a lot of things to do once we hit 1,000 <_<

Philip

Hey you put my oceania chapter in there!.. Im honoured never expect to see them in the line up! Thanx

There are a few people saying that lol, and you made the effort to come up with a chapter and a colour scheme so its the least I could do to add them ;)

Sons of Doom are on the S2 group just along from the salamanders

Edited by Dazzo

I noticed lol youve been busy. Now do you want every single one included or are their any your not to fond of...if you could PM with the links i'll get on with adding those you want added.

I hope the quality has not suffered too much.

I certainly didnt notice any drop of in quality.

Is this loyalist chapters only, or are traitor marines invited too

Loyalist only yes, and while I would not rule out doing a traitor list my interest does not lie in that direction. Maybe someone else will do a traitors gallery in the future.

Pics coming soon.

That would be helpful yes :D

This seems to be picking up a bit, and wonder how many Chapters we will end up with?

Perhaps I should make a promotional banner - I wonder how bit it should be and if anyone would use it?

Philip

When theWarp.net crashed and took Liber Astartes with it, I had 2250 Chapters on the list (including the 300+ GW Chapters). Still have the list floating around somewhere in this computer.

I have. The quality drop looks pretty significant to me, with lots of blurring and texture distortion.

That is good to hear.

When theWarp.net crashed and took Liber Astartes with it, I had 2250 Chapters on the list (including the 300+ GW Chapters). Still have the list floating around somewhere in this computer.

Please send me a copy of this list. I'm sure Dazzo would like a copy too!

I have. The quality drop looks pretty significant to me, with lots of blurring and texture distortion.

That is not so good to hear. This may be the same thing another user noticed (malika on TFM) when I updated some images, for some reason they came out hideously pixelated. This do not change until he cleared his cache. The reason I suspect this may be the problem and not the image;

Side by side comparison (if your monitor is wide enough, otherwise download and check in a viewer/ app)

The first is a PNG@651.63 kB the second in a JPG@159.88 kB

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t71/Philip_S_Avatar/Chapters/gallery_Angels_of_Vigilance.pnghttp://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t71/Philip_S_Avatar/Chapters/gallery_Angels_of_Vigilance-1.jpg

There are some slight difference but I suspect they only show up if you know what you are looking for, a few minor grey flecks but nothing too serious, and I would say that this difference is not "The quality drop looks pretty significant to me, with lots of blurring and texture distortion". I hope it is the cache problem as that is easy to fix, if not I have to investigate further!

If it's not too much trouble; Please clear your cache and try again and report back your findings?

Thank you for your feedback, it's best to catch any problems early ;)

Philip

Edited by Philip S

The image on the right is clearly much blurrier, there is a marked loss of detail on markings and small details, and the new compression has visual artifacts.

The worst example I could find was the knee pad marking on The Angels of Redemption.

In other areas, the colour looks grayer or is gone altogether. An example here is the Angels Nepenthe's bionic eye.

Im a graphic artist on a 24" wide-screen monitor with calibrated colours, so the difference may not be as marked for everyone, but to my eyes there is a very clear loss of quality.

Visuals should be visually good, and in a visual presentation, it really shouldn't have to suffer due to other concerns.

Also, I really don't think image weight is that much of an issue anymore, even though there are a lot of images.

If this is a preview only, then ok, no problem, but if it is meant as the final presentation, then Im sorry but the compression ruins the presentation.

It may also be a good idea to use another font. - A sans-serif font would be best. Or at least look at the anti-aliasing method for the font, because the text in both versions is a bit hard to read.

Other than that, great project!

Keep it up! ;)

I noticed you have at least 1 chapter in twice. White Crusaders are on both page 28 and 29.

That has been corrected in the updated blog, phils version wont be updated until we have the full 1000 chapters.

And to me the colours just seem a little more washed out on the second one.

Im a graphic artist on a 24" wide-screen monitor with calibrated colours, so the difference may not be as marked for everyone, but to my eyes there is a very clear loss of quality.

Ah, it all make sense now. Yep you are right. As one graphic artist to another, I can see where you are coming from <_<

I'm not too concerned though, not because I do not value quality, but because this going to be a 'visual index' rather than a finished show piece (we have Dazzo's blog for that!). I plan to put a hotspot map over each marine so clicking on them it will take you to the chapters IA - this will be B+C IA, but also other sites and dedicated websites. As such the visual quality has to be good enough for navigation, and it has to be quick enough for navigation.

If too many people complain I'll change it :rolleyes:

Philip