Blood Angels Fourth Company Banner

Sanguinator

I'm afraid there was no official banner listed for the 4th. We have a Banner for the 2nd and 3rd companies, as well as the 5th (thanks to White Dwarf).

Alrighty then, time to get creative.

Thanks for the help though.

Find the old Blood Quest novel. I know you can see the banner of Leonados in there and he was the captain of the 4th.

Remember that our banners consist of a common background and possibly colour scheme behind the captains own personal heraldry. For instance, the second company banner is yellow a pale sanguine with wings clutching a grail spilled blood. The wings holding the grail spilling the blood is the personal iconography of Captain Alphael or whatever his name is. (Long live Captain Lazarus!!!)

Find the old Blood Quest novel. I know you can see the banner of Leonados in there and he was the captain of the 4th.

Remember that our banners consist of a common background and possibly colour scheme behind the captains own personal heraldry. For instance, the second company banner is yellow a pale sanguine with wings clutching a grail spilled blood. The wings holding the grail spilling the blood is the personal iconography of Captain Alphael or whatever his name is. (Long live Captain Lazarus!!!)

Captain Leonatos holds a simple red banner with an icon. An ork banner is behind him. Another portrayal of Captain Leonatos shows him armed with a chainsword till he kicks enough daemon butt to complete his quest.

http://img1.fantasticfiction.co.uk/images/n7/n36540.jpghttp://farm3.static.flickr.com/2717/4515168837_cdaca1a196.jpg

Well, I suppose we shall have to hiope one fortunate son of Baal has the original (or a copy) and access to a scanner. If you compare Tycho's Banner and the 3rd Company it should be easy to extrapolate a fair representation of the fourth company from the captain's banner...if it exists in any form. Cross-fingers.

I have my own theory (self-quote from warseer):

From the "Space Marines Painting Guide" 1st ed the banner of the 3rd was chaos black field and a red diagonal stripes (starting black in the bottom left) with the chapter badge overall.

At the 2dn ed, this was changed (all the banners of the whole chapter). So banners change. Said this, can we assume that the chopped wing is the personal heraldry of Tycho symbolizing his disfigurement in a metaphorical way?

Three ideas come to me to mind:

1st, leave the background as is, gold field and gules bend (meaning disinterested protection) and change the wing or

2nd, leave as is and castrate all form of creativity, I mean... in honor of the Brother Captain Tycho, heroe of the chapter and

3rd, start a new banner from zero, taking into account the current banner and his history, but focusing in the heraldry of the new company master.

Searching on the net, I found this.

Well, since Gold means Generosity and Gules (red) means Warrior, Martyr, Military Strength I'm very surprised, because this fit extremely well with the Blood Angels theme. You know, the sacrifice of Sanguinius and so on.

Now, if we look at the shields that appear in the link, we can see that the 2nd and the 3rd are exactly the same that the 2nd and the 3rd company banners. In fact, except the 8th, and maybe the 6th, all of these fits veeery well, and there are 10 shields, like the 10 companies. It seems like the GW pals are using classic actual heraldry in the BA banners.

That said, I'm take the following: The Blood Angels heraldryc colors are Gold and Red, meaning the Sanguinius sacrifice, and many others that the chapter made. More, the shields of the actual herladry are (in that order) the banners of the companies (still unsure about a couple of this).

I do not think I can be (very) wrong but... who knows?

I appreciate all your inputs and still open to more thoughts. Thank you very much.

Hey guys,

Those ideas for the field of the banner are awesome gives it a little meaning ya know, I definitely like the wing and sword idea as well and had thought about it but wasn't quite sure.

I really appreciate the help as before all this I was stumped. I'll post a sketch of the banner when I'm finished drawing it.

Edited by Sanguinator

The Knights of Baal. Teeef you're definitely on to something with the whole Sword/wing thing.

So let's review.

-Horixontal bar

-Wing gripping a sword in act of justice. these boys are Knights after all.

-?????????????

-4th Company banner

A wing and a sword, not my cup of tea as it reminds me of the DA motifs... How I'd do one instead is to have the horizontal bar in green, or at least have something there colored green apart from blood drops.

As for the motifs themselves, I'll probably have a Death Mask at the end of the wing, to pay homage to Leonatos, and a sword somewhere for the "knights" part...

My 2cents :whistling:

Edited by Baal Dropout

As Teeef mentioned, the 5th company banner they use in W is identical to one of the example chapter banners in the codex except for an arabic 5 on it...... The fact that the second/third company banners are of similar design (yellow background, red stripe, winged motif) makes me think the WD article is just a quick random job. I was going to do 5th company with yellow background and black stripe with winged motif (maybe holding a sword or clutching a daemon head) to fall in line with these. The heraldry link was useful though so may reconsider. Cheers Max,

http://img1.fantasticfiction.co.uk/images/n7/n36540.jpghttp://farm3.static.flickr.com/2717/4515168837_cdaca1a196.jpg

Maybe we have the answer right in front our eyes!

Just look at the left shoulder of Leonatos and compare it with Tycho's.

I think that the symbol for 4th is the winged Skull motiff.

I do have an original copy of this book, but no scanner :P

I'll have to take a look tonight; I figured SOMEONE else would have posted a pic from the first chapter by now! I can't be the only crusty old guy on here that reads ancient 40k material! :mellow:

I'm thinking to use the 4th company banner from the 1st edition, but what could be the heraldry?

I thought in a single-winged blood drop, or a winged helmet with tears of blood, or a shield with the chapter symbol, like this:

http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/6126/ba4thcopanyheraldry.jpg

I'm thinking to use the 4th company banner from the 1st edition, but what could be the heraldry?

I thought in a single-winged blood drop, or a winged helmet with tears of blood, or a shield with the chapter symbol, like this:

http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/6126/ba4thcopanyheraldry.jpg

And this?

http://img682.imageshack.us/img682/7914/4tha.jpg

I was thinking this. I realize it is fan art and not "Chapter Approved" and all. :P But I think it will serve me till the official release...

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2717/4521163645_0203cff4af_o.gif

The Bar Fesse for the 4th based on heraldry established by the 2nd and 3rd Co. designs. The sword for justice held by the hand of Sanguinious. The Chalice Icon in the halo at the top center is a standard BA motif and not specific to the 4th. Someone with more details on the history might make a better suggestion. I used the four blood drop jewels to reinforce the 4th and Nine Battle Honors are place holders

Nice work Teeef, very nice :pinch:

That is quality,

I must agree here!

The only thing that I'd change are the background colors to encorporate the green of the Company, although that is only a small thing... Overall Great Work

And here! Switch the black for the green and ready to go.

That is quite simply Bloody Awesome! One critique however: the Blood Angels 2nd & 3rd company heraldries actually correspond somewhat* with the vanilla 2nd and 3rd company heraldries, if the other companies followed suit then it would be the 9th that had a fess, the 4th should be a per fess:

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r155/khromash/compheral.jpg

* 3rd's bend goes in the opposite direction

Also personally I'd use the winged sword for 7th or more likely 8th company.

Edited by Vodunius