Corbulo, The Far-Seeing Eye

Warprat

Does Corbulo allow a player re-roll of the deployment roll-off (to see who deploys first,) using The Far-Seeing Eye? And, if the re-roll is applicable, can it be used to re-roll the Standard Mission or Deployment Type chart?

Thanks!

Warprat ;)

Seems to me that it does. The writing of the rule is "any die roll you have made" and the only time you can't is if Brother Corbulo has been slain. It says nothing about him being on or off the table, or when during the game you can make the check. So, I'd say yes.

I would say yes, because the roll for deployment is the first part of the game. I would say NO however to rerolling the scenario, as that is not part of the game.

I would say yes, because the roll for deployment is the first part of the game. I would say NO however to rerolling the scenario, as that is not part of the game.

Hmmm, but what's interesting is that the roll for deployment happens before even one figure has been placed...

I doubt it.

Rulebook page 86: Organizing a battle:

"1 choose forces"

"2 prepare the battlefield"

"3 select mission"

"4 deploy forces"

"5 start the game"

As the game hasn't started when forces are deployed you can't use The Far-Seeing Eye.

Yet it specifies in the rule that you can use it to seize the iniative.

It can be used to seize the initiative just because the rule explicitly mentions you can.

If it's before the game has started and not specified by the rule then you can't do it.

I fear that the logical next step here is a philosophical-class debate about "When the game has truly begun." <_< Talk it out with your usual opponent(s)/club and see how they want to treat it, for your safest bet.

Now brace for the discussion. <3

Corbulo's rule doesn't seem to be mentioning Seize the Init as an exception...but more an inclusion with the other things it can logically do. I think this is one of those cases where GW didn't think people would look at their leaky rulebook with the Legal Eye and just roll with things. I don't see an allowed reroll for the deployment roll-off being that broken. Are there other models that allow such a thing? How many points do they cost and what else do they allow?

So there is a hypothetical precedent. Though to my mind, using Corbulo in this way is a bit of a waste - I'd much rather save that re-roll for the save I need another chance to make, or the last-ditch melta-shot I need to do serious damage...

His name is Bjorn, hes a Vendread, and hes not quite as expensive as a Landraider with MM and Extra Armor.

And The Emperor's Tarot provides a pre deployment die shift during roll-off for the price of a Rhino...

So there is a hypothetical precedent. Though to my mind, using Corbulo in this way is a bit of a waste - I'd much rather save that re-roll for the save I need another chance to make, or the last-ditch melta-shot I need to do serious damage...

I think it depends on the roll you have to beat. If you are rolling for deployment and your opponent rolls a 2 and you roll a 1, use the re-roll. If he rolls a 5, think about using it on sieze the initiative instead. If you then don't use it on either of those, save it for a clutch moment as suggested. A reserve or outflank roll would be excellent.

Although I feel a roll for senario would be within the spirit of the rule, and within RAW. I also feel it could be a tad too powerful. But, of course that also depends on the nature of the armies chosen for both sides, and their relation to each other.

Warprat ;)

There's also the problem that it isn't the Blood Angel player's roll and thus can't be affected by Corbulo.

Wait. You don't roll your own die for your roll-off to see who chooses who goes first?

Codex says: Corbulo allows you a single reroll once per game.

Rulebook page 86: Organizing a battle:

"1 choose forces"

"2 prepare the battlefield"

"3 select mission"

"4 deploy forces"

"5 start the game"

As the game hasn't started when forces are deployed you can't use The Far-Seeing Eye.

Surely that solves it. Also, doesn't seizing the initiative come after step 5 anyway?

Archived