Ashe Darke's Call of Chaos - Night Lords

This was a very last minute decision for me, thankfully Nihm let me enter even though it had passed the closing date.

I will be entering a 5 man NL Raptor squad and a 5 man NL CSM squad. I'm on a budget so I'm working with what I have.

I was originally just making some NL raptors for fun, been getting into my painting a lot more recently so I thought I'd make my own because personally I don't like the metal models. The concept was to make them cool yet not over the top. So I would use Chaos arms, torsos and heads, with normal assault marine legs, Sanguinary Guard jump packs and then gargoyle wings.

And the Call came, and it seemed like it would be a cool idea to put them in. Unfortunately you have to enter at least 2 units and this was looking to cost me over £50 just for the models. I thought of what other units I could do cheap while still having a use for them afterwards and none sprang to mind until after the Call closed. I have a butt loads of spare CSM bits and that's when the concept formed.

Concept:

This is not two separate squads. They are in fact the same guys, but on a different mission or whatever, so it's kinda the jump pack and normal versions of them. This means they will have the same heads, weapons, torsos etc (even paint jobs which will be a pain), but of course they will have different poses.

So here is what I have of the Raptors so far.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a114/ashe_darke/Call%20of%20Chaos/2R-S12.jpg

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a114/ashe_darke/Call%20of%20Chaos/2R-S1.jpg

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a114/ashe_darke/Call%20of%20Chaos/3R-S12.jpg

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a114/ashe_darke/Call%20of%20Chaos/3R-S13.jpg

^This guy is my favourite.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a114/ashe_darke/Call%20of%20Chaos/4R-S13.jpg

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a114/ashe_darke/Call%20of%20Chaos/4R-S12.jpg

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a114/ashe_darke/Call%20of%20Chaos/5R-S12.jpg

^This guy is my least favourite, he's even below the guy who isn't up because he doesn't have arms or a head.

And here is an example of the lightening I'm thinking of doing, I can't really get any closer. It is the Nihm school of lightening although it is in green as I don't have the blues yet.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a114/ashe_darke/Call%20of%20Chaos/LighteningExample2.jpg

Now you may have noticed there are only 4 guys here, and they don't have jump packs. Well as I said I'm on a budget and I shall be getting the Sanguinary Guard bits soon. I'm contemplating using one of their fancy swords for the final guy so I need to wait until I get the box before I give him arms and legs. The original concept for them had them with Raptor wings but considering how they look I don't think I'm going to do it, I want to down play the whole bat thing as much as possible. You'll also notice this is just the Raptors. I have CSM legs but after seeing how cool and dynamic these guys look with the assault marine legs I've decided that from now on all my BP+CCW marines will have those legs so I need another box of assault marines which is fine as if I'm 'cloning' them I will need bits from there anyway.

So my next step is to get a box of SG, and then paints and more assault marines....agh this is getting expensive. More coming soon.

Cheers man, yeah horned helmets are a no-no. It does rather limit me to what helmets I can use, I've used the studded one twice although I have no problem with that. I've also used one of the assault marine heads that I'm going to have to make it look more Chaos-y some how. This will probably be down to the paint job. The final guy who isn't up yet is going to be the champion and he's going to have the skull helmet.

I hope the picture quality is ok, I don't have a brilliant camera.

these are really cool but the problem is is that you've done all these cool patterns but now your gonna spray over the top meaning you have to start again on them

Cheers guys. I'm a bit torn on the lightening though. It person it looks a lot better and so the question is do I paint it so it looks good in person or on the camera. There is also the point that I should try for better pictures and I have been getting better at taking clearer pictures. I'm amazed at how close you got while still retaining focus for your tutorial. I imagine that is down to the camera.

Ok so I bought a box of Sanguinary Guard today. I've put all the bits together, the Champion is done now although there was a lot of umming and ahhing about the weapons and poses. So, here we go.

gallery_50355_4880_149092.jpg

This is what I originally thought for my Champion but I decided no. The arm armour isn't the same and the pose leaves with with a weak joint as well, the green stuffing is easy but it didn't look right. He also has different shoulder pads to help signify his rank.

gallery_50355_4880_1427114.jpg

gallery_50355_4880_620366.jpg

I'm a lot happier about this model although the pose is a bit bland but it makes more sense. I think that maybe the legs are letting the model down though. I've stuck the Chaos Champion's powersword on the Assault marine Sergeant's arm to make the sword more interesting and a bit more Chaosy.

gallery_50355_4880_1410725.jpg

gallery_50355_4880_1205902.jpg

gallery_50355_4880_1589254.jpg

gallery_50355_4880_238380.jpg

gallery_50355_4880_620587.jpg

gallery_50355_4880_76964.jpg

gallery_50355_4880_940243.jpg

gallery_50355_4880_1076947.jpg

They look cooler with the jump packs on although they do look a bit odd. There are gaps to allow the wings to go in and they are empty. Still it looks better than normal jump packs, or heaven forbid the Raptor ones :sweat:

Next stage, spraying.

Ok, so I've sprayed them and started the painting process. They're pretty much at the pre-lightening stage now bar a few bits of tidying.

gallery_50355_4880_48085.jpg

^His helmet needs some work. I might steal Dan The Daemon's idea.

gallery_50355_4880_29922.jpg

gallery_50355_4880_49179.jpg

gallery_50355_4880_121608.jpg

gallery_50355_4880_89443.jpg

The CSM version's of these will be coming soon. I'll probably do each guys lightening at the same time to try and best match them.

If I finish my call before the 3 months are up can I add extra items?

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, so it's a new month and a new update. The CSM counterparts have been made and painting has begun.

I've tried my best to try and match them while giving them different poses. The arms were the easiest to do, cut off the gauntlet and stick on another arm. The legs were hardest and the biggest risk which is why I didn't do anything. The Champion has the same legs and the others have different poses although some of the armour details aren't right. As I said though I didn't like the idea of potentially fluffing up and wasting £16.

Ohhh yeah I also did the lightening on the Raptors.

Here are the pics of them with their CSM buddy.

gallery_50355_4880_32637.jpg

gallery_50355_4880_162212.jpg

gallery_50355_4880_95595.jpg

gallery_50355_4880_59995.jpg

gallery_50355_4880_167188.jpg

And here's a sample of the lightening.

gallery_50355_4880_102074.jpg

gallery_50355_4880_81019.jpg

More coming soon.

I must say they are looking good. I can't fault you on much painting or modeling, and i'm constantly finding the care and detail you've put into them.

I don't know if you decided to leave the Garg wings off, but they look ace without them. I like the single engine jump pack.

Good looking work.

Dan

Can't fault me much? :) These models have had work done since, the painted one are based for start. These pics are a bit old, I took them a while ago and waited until June started to put them up.

But you're right there's some small bits that need fixing. The thing is that these bits are only revealed in the pictures and it can show more details than my eyes can see, in person they're less obvious and hard to spot. The highlights are also a lot brighter in the pics so I need to sort out the right lighting for the final ones at least. Realistically I just need to pick out the bits in the pictures and just sit down and sort them. I spot things all the time, I just gotta get on with it. There is also the whole thing of trying to bridge the gap of what I want to do and what I'm capable of doing which is getting smaller as time goes on thankfully. But anything you do spot then tell me as I'd rather someone point it out and me fix it than not notice it.

As for the posing I found the CSM ones hardest to do. The Raptors aren't really modded much and so are in poses that the un-sliced GW parts give and so a lot of the cool ideas and poses were already taken up. To then try and use the same bits to make different poses for the same suits of armour without making them look crap was a challenge bigger than I was prepared to take and I think they kinda suffer for it but it looks OK considering.

I left the wings off as I felt they were a bit much and I decided I wanted to down play the whole bat thing as much as possible. And you're right they look better without. Now all they need to do is write a codex that represents them decently and I do an army's worth of them.

Cheers for your comment :D

Sorry I'm bad at communicating. What I intended to say was, while I looked long and hard to give you some critique, I found nothing you did incorrectly, wrong, or badly. What I did end up finding was a high level of detail in painting, posing, and converting, and I can see the time and energy you spent on them.

I'm sure you may have addressed this so I will have to go back and look, but why not use magnets?

Yeah the bat thing is... different. I plead guilty on bat marine charges. I had my marines referred to once as "Nice Ultramarines dude"

...never again will I allow someone to make that mistake.

It's fine man, I got what you were on about and thanks for your kind words. But to be honest I'm not putting these forward thinking they're perfect, I know they need things fixing on them. I can't do any of that though until I get back out of the cabinet at my LGS. I entered them in a painting competition to try and get my Games Day coach ticket for free.

Well I've had them called Ultramarines and a red fist short of being Crimson Fists. But then the lightening went on and it was fine. I tend to be quite a minimalist guy when it comes to adding what others perceive as legion flavour. My DG army isn't all over the top and gooey because frankly there's a million armies like that and I want mine to be different. Same here, except most of their uniqueness is due to the fact they're all running.

The only problem with putting this much time and effort in is I've gotta do it all again, and try my best to match it ;) Well I have plenty of time anyway. I might give the CSMs a drop pod if Nihm will allow me to.

• 5 weeks later...

Archived