Baal pred: A. Cannon or Flamestorm

Veahirin

So, I am getting my list ready for BoLScon and currently I am running 2 Baal Predators. The questions is: Am I better off with just the TL A. Cannon or the flamestorm? I have only play tested the flamestorm and it has been great, but I am wondering what you all think.

Just in case, here is the rest of my list

10 assault marines

-2x melta

- Power wep

-Rhino

10 assault marines

- Same

5 Assault marines

-Power wep

-melta

- sang priest w/ power wep

Razorback with TL HVy bolters

5 Assault marines

-same

Honour guard squad

- Chapter banner

- 2x power weapons

- 1x melta

- Attatched libby with shield and sword of sangunius

2x Baal preds

- Flamestorm

2x Predators

- Sponson las cannons

1x Vindicator

- Dozer blade

2 Land speeders

- Multi Melta

- Squadron

Thank for the help guys

-V

"I love the smell of promethium in the morning!!!" - Captain "Psycho" on Armageddon before lighting a Terran cigar with a Flame Storm Cannon and single-handedly storming an ork outpost. Shortly afterwards, his limp and lifeless body was found atop a mound of hundreds of greenskins. More amazing than the wake of carnage that led to him being found, was the fact that his cigar was still lit and in his mouth!

I forget whether or not the FSC is twin-linked or not. If it is, it might be worth it for the utter shock of ignoring cover, but you have to add the HB sponsons so that it's not useless prior to getting into template range. Otherwise, a smart commander will ignore it (them) until that point (8"), thus drawing more fire to your other units ie your Troops. Adding the HB sponsons will effectively increase your threat value by 36", causing the opponent to spread out his fire and still have that build-up of fear the closer your BPs get to his Troops.

There will be times when it is necessary to deploy all your armour on Turn 1, and others when you'd love to have your BPs outflank the enemy from Reserves, but that is too unpredictible and costly when it doesn't work. I like to draw my enemy in on my 2 Land Raiders and Vindicator, while moving my 2 BPs flat-out around the flanks.

I find myself feeling the same way.. The template kills lots of guys, but it exposes that soft side armour of 11.

I am also thinking of finding ways to put TL a. cannons on the razorbacks too.

-V

I played quite a few games with both Flamer and AssCannon together....Flamer is great in the first turn...after that is too risky to stay that close to the enemy, and you have to keep moving 12" to minimize the enemies charge, which also minimize your capacity to use it properly.

I run a very similar list to yours and now I'm really convinced that 2 AssCannons are better.

I like either 2 AssCan or 1 of each. The flamestorm I run cheap, 115 w/ no sponsons, so that while I don't plan on it performing a suicide mission, it sometimes ends up that way. I need the AP3 template to get at things in cover. It's been very effective.

SO I went and switched out the Flamestorm for Ass cannons. NOw I just have to decide if I am going to upgrade the Razors or not. Three more TL Asscannons would be nasty.

razor with ac would be nice. but think about baal pred with ac and hvy flamers to have best of both short range, and template. and or fsc with hvy bolters. its a good combo. that what i use, and my friend just hate them expecially when i scout.

Out of 6 Baal turrets I own, I have... Hmmm. ZERO equipped with Flamestorms.

Why? Because I'm not a fan of wasting 115+ points on a single shot weapon. It's one thing to get up close and personal in a Redeemer, very few weapons in any given unit can actually hurt you, but a buffed Rhino hull is a very different animal. Even if the enemy needs to roll sixes to hit in CC, he's going to roll some. And then that lousy AV10 rear armor is going to crumple like a Grot under a Warlord. Assuming he doesn't just pop you in the shooting phase. Because if you are close enough to use the flame template the odds are real good he's got something that can get to your flanks or rear.

With the Assault Cannons and Heavy Bolter sponsons you can stay well out of CC range and make it very difficult for the enemy to get a decent shot. And even if he does he's got to break AV13. AV13 laughs at anything short of a Missile Launcher. AV10 lives in fear of anything heavier than a Lasgun.

Honestly, keep it straight. If you go with the Assault Cannon, you should do so, then do not mix the Baal with short range stuff like flamers. You don't want to come that close to the enemy. To mix things is always quite uneffective.

Out of 6 Baal turrets I own, I have... Hmmm. ZERO equipped with Flamestorms.

Why? Because I'm not a fan of wasting 115+ points on a single shot weapon. It's one thing to get up close and personal in a Redeemer, very few weapons in any given unit can actually hurt you, but a buffed Rhino hull is a very different animal. Even if the enemy needs to roll sixes to hit in CC, he's going to roll some. And then that lousy AV10 rear armor is going to crumple like a Grot under a Warlord. Assuming he doesn't just pop you in the shooting phase. Because if you are close enough to use the flame template the odds are real good he's got something that can get to your flanks or rear.

With the Assault Cannons and Heavy Bolter sponsons you can stay well out of CC range and make it very difficult for the enemy to get a decent shot. And even if he does he's got to break AV13. AV13 laughs at anything short of a Missile Launcher. AV10 lives in fear of anything heavier than a Lasgun.

Do it right, and you kill more than it's value in that single shot, and if they're in terrain, even better. Do it well, and you'll have them choosing whether to charge your Flamestorm Baal and eat a charge from something worse next turn. My goal with the flamestorm Baal is that it is a) a marine killer ;) an anything in cover killer, but most importantly, it's almost always going to hunt scoring troops, and that's always worth it. I could shoot at a unit of 10 marines for an entire game with a AsC Baal and not do as many wounds as a flamestorm in a single turn. Keep in mind, though, I still like my AsC Baal.

Archived