Dances with Smurfs

Gv0zD

Hi, everybody!

While I'm currently struggling with my budget, working schedule and my PhD to build my new Blood Angels army, I've found pics of my first 40k army on my PC - the pics of the famous Ultramarines. This army was created around 10 years ago, when I was a 14-year old kid, and I was overwhelmed by 40k universe and particularly by the space marines. I chose smurfs as my first army (well, actually I dindn't choose - they were on the Tactical Squad box front :cuss ) . It was my first wargame experience, as well as experience in painting small minis, but I knew then it would be my passion for the rest of my life :cuss

To cut a long story short, here are my fist smurfs. Don't judge me stricktly - remember, they were painted by a kid, who had never held paintbrush before :P

med_gallery_33097_5428_7032.jpg

med_gallery_33097_5428_244658.jpg

med_gallery_33097_5428_22269.jpg

med_gallery_33097_5428_499304.jpg

med_gallery_33097_5428_588530.jpg

med_gallery_33097_5428_17568.jpg

med_gallery_33097_5428_322681.jpg

med_gallery_33097_5428_509564.jpg

med_gallery_33097_5428_11657.jpg

med_gallery_33097_5428_113137.jpg

PS My chappy has lost his banner somewhere.

They look tabletop quality to me...I'm 32, and only picked up my army about a year or two ago, and I can say mine aren't much better than these;) Good luck with the budgeting and the new army. I guess the only thing that bugs me is the colored bolters, but then I like guns to be straight metallic, maybe with black gun casings here or there, and that's more a paint scheme thing.

Thanks for your replies, guys! It pleases me that you find my painting skills worth such praise  :D

@Arikel

The red bolters were Ultramarines color scheme back then, and soon after I finished that army the 4th ed introduced the black (or dark grey) bolters for Ultras... I also the grey or black weapons more, but....

@Solid Zaku

In Russia we have vodka  ;) Seriously though, I though of such 'retirement' for my smurfs, but I decided to keep them. They're still my first army, my first experience with 40k, so I wanted to savor those moments and to be able to see how my painting and modelling skills progress through time  ;)

That army suffered the same fate as my first army (I was a bit younger) which was the classic GW staff telling you "use white under coat!" - which when your that age/experience with paint leaves all those horrible white spots under arms and in the recesses - which wouldnt show at all if you use black - but they never tell you that - they let you drop £100 on a army, then realise once you learn brush control you need to spend another £100 because your not happy lol!.

That army suffered the same fate as my first army (I was a bit younger) which was the classic GW staff telling you "use white under coat!" - which when your that age/experience with paint leaves all those horrible white spots under arms and in the recesses - which wouldnt show at all if you use black - but they never tell you that - they let you drop £100 on a army, then realise once you learn brush control you need to spend another £100 because your not happy lol!.

Damn right, man! Damn right!  ^_^

I must say they are good for a 14 year old (better than mine at that age anyway)  :D

Ludovic

Thanks! When I started that army I expected to have some sloppy blue freaky gnomes (well, actual smurfs ;) ), but I was pretty surprised when my first tactical marine was finished. 

• 5 months later...

Plan A: Washes

PLan B: Brake fluid

Neither costs another 100 quid.

Although what army you can make for 100 quid I don't know.... Maybe AoBR commander, AOBR termies and tacs en masse....

Archived