Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Dreadnaughts?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
19 replies to this topic

BAfox

BAfox

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 13 posts
Hey guys,

First post on here, i've recently put my BA army back into commission. Won a few 2k point tournaments locally with my list, and was flicking through the codex and noticed our Dreadnaught options. Has anyone had any experience/success in particular with the Deathcompany DN fitted out with blood talons, or a Furioso librarian? Or am i simply caught up in the fluff of perpetual attacks, wings on a dreadnaught, or being able to make tanks come flying over to me?

Cheers all :)

liberate_tutame

liberate_tutame

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 524 posts
Dreadnoughts are awesome, and very few armies could deal with mass Dreadnought horde. It's weaknesses are simply the prevalence of melta in the game.

However something along the lines of 3 Death Company Furioso's (one with Blood Talons), two scouts (for scoring), 15 DC and 3 droppod Furioso's with Frag cannons and blood fists in drop pods sounds like it would make one hell of a mess.
We know what we are, but not what we may be.

Glendor

Glendor

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 298 posts
I love BT furiosos, it is not uncommon for me to tear through a tactical squad in one turn. The only hard part is keeping them alive...

igotsmeakabob!!

igotsmeakabob!!

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,628 posts
The only thing you have to fear with a Dreadnought army are melta-heavy armies (Vulkan lists come to mind), fast armies (Eldar armies focused on scoring, not fighting) and MC-heavy armies (Tyranids).

Almost everything else you go up against you will have a good shot at wrecking.
Don't put your trust in revolutions. They always come around again. That's why they're called revolutions. People die, and nothing changes.

How do they rise up?

death_incarnite

death_incarnite

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 131 posts
first off a libby dread with might of heroes (+D3 A) using hte dreadnought close combat weapons is amazing for bustiing anything up, even those pesky monoliths... its kinda hard to survive up to 6 s 10 2d6 armour penetration shots, next the dc dread with blood talons and heavy flamer is great and one i perticularly like that averaged 21 kils per battle in ard boyz is a furioso dread w fraf cannon, heavy flamer and extra armour can put down 3 flame templates per turn and do amazing damage. but the main thing about dreadnoughts is getting them deployed right, for instance drop poding them in is extremely effective and being deployed via storm raven is amazing but one thing that i would strongly suggest is never have them foot it, cause if you walk it every guns gonna be on it, also one nice thing about the furioso is that it cant be hurt by things like standerd krak grenades "BOW BEFORE MY MIGHT LITTLE MARINES FOR YOU CAN NOT HURT ME" ;)
strike quickly and mercilessly let nothing stay your wrath. remember an enemy is more easily defeated if they dont even know they are fighting.

one day a man was in court and the judge deemed him insane, the man responded who are you to call me insane for i have fought in a eight year war, i have faced death gun to gun and seen things that would drive you insane in a moment, in a matter of fact who are you to deem who is insane for only those who survive can deem what is insane, and only the insane can survive... whos really insane

MrBlack

MrBlack

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 13 posts
I'm not quite sure if that's a typo or not, but Dreadnoughts only get 1d6+S armor penetration, not 2d6.

Zeller

Zeller

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,162 posts
Dreadnoughts are certainly very cool looking but I like the speed I can get on my tanks. That said though if I had 3 dreadnoughts with plasma cannons you can bet I'd be using them.

Personally, I'd say it makes a lot more sense to keep putting them on the right. Anyone who questions your decision is a Communist.

QUOTE (Ashdown @ Aug 17 2010, 07:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You can play vanilla marines, however, it is a heavy burden to wield such shame.

gallery_62972_10568_4118.jpg

Brother Landrain

Brother Landrain

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,446 posts
My problem with Dreadnoughts... (and I have like 10)

Is that they are Vehicles.

They really should be Monstrous Creatures, Somewhere along the lines of...

Base Strength 6, Toughness 6, Wounds 3, Attacks 2, With a 2+/5++ Armour Save, LD 9, Fearless, Relentless, Move Thru Cover, Hoot Two Weapons, 2D6 + Str Armour Penetration

Standard Dread WS 5, BS 5

Furioso Dread WS 6, BS 4, Attacks 4

Iron Clad Dread, WS 5, BS 5, Toughness 8

Mortis Dread, WS 4, BS 6, Shoot all weapons, Split Fire

Venerable Dread WS 6, BS 6, Wounds 4

Siege Dread WS 6, BS 5, Strength 9, Attack 3

Chaplain Dread WS 6, BS 6, 4++ Save, Attack 3, Wounds 4

Librarian Dread WS6, BS 6, Ld 10, Attack 3, Wounds 4

Edited by Brother Landrain, 24 December 2010 - 05:44 PM.

The ASPCA would like to confirm that no Fluff Bunnies were killed or harmed in the creation of this post.

All Deathwing are Veterans
All Veterans are not Deathwing
All 1st Company are Deathwing
All Deathwing are not 1st Company

Korloth Darkwolf

Korloth Darkwolf

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 515 posts
I currently tweaking a DC only list with a drop podded DC Dread with Talons and really need to get more pods so I can cram more Dreads in on turn one.

A single Dread with Talons will chew through a whole horde of creatures in a single turn (unless you get unlucky on the rolls!)

I like them and will get some standard Furiosos when I get cracking on my next list - a mass drop pod list.
2011 Results
Death Company P3 - W0 - L3 - D0
Blood Angels 3rd Company P18 - W15 - L3 - D0
Blood Angels in Apocalypse P1 - W1 - L0 - D0

Lemartes. For when you absolutely, positively got to kill everything on the table, accept no substitutes.

Black Blow Fly

Black Blow Fly

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 15,588 posts
I really like an assault dreadnaught in a Stormraven. I pop smoke when it disembarks so that if it tears through an enemy unit it has a cover save the following turn. I've never been a big fan of them in drop pods or foot slogging but they can work in the right situations. I think a dreadnaught heavy army could be a lot of fun.

G :)

Edited by Black Orange, 25 December 2010 - 01:03 AM.

=][= fortis Fortuna adiuvat . =][=
my 40k FB Page:
https://m.facebook.com/Terminus6Est
Terminus Est
Blood and Honor!

Zeller

Zeller

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,162 posts
I don't see why a robot should be treated the same as a carnifex. Could you explain why you feel this way? In before vehicles can be killed in 1 shot.

Edited by Zeller, 25 December 2010 - 02:15 AM.

Personally, I'd say it makes a lot more sense to keep putting them on the right. Anyone who questions your decision is a Communist.

You can play vanilla marines, however, it is a heavy burden to wield such shame.

Black Blow Fly

Black Blow Fly

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 15,588 posts
Seeing that carnifexen cost a lot more now it's not an issue for me .

G :)
my 40k FB Page:
Terminus Est
Blood and Honor!

Brother nathan

Brother nathan

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,790 posts
i sed to run a dread with multi melta. whilst my attack bikes would always wiff their shots, he always seemed to kill what ever tank e looked at. and every time he killed a tank i added a skull to his shoulder. it unnervd my opponent to the point he would put a disproportionate amount of fire on it. immobilising it, shocking and stunning but just could never get that 5 or 6. and other times he ignored it to kill my vindicator so my dread ended up causing more havock up close. i kinda regret not playing it in a few games as the ability to assault would have pulledthe last few guards men off an objective regardless of being able to kill or not. furisos with blood talons should also be awsome, but to build a list around them... i like them but they should be suppporting their brothers, not replacing them.
Img_CH00_08Awards_03_ETL_2012A.gif
They stand against the coming storm, they are not buffeted by war, the thunder of guns does not shake them, nor do the rains drench their spirits,
for they are the true storm and they shall not be denied! For the Emperor and Sanguinius they will fight!

Brother Landrain

Brother Landrain

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,446 posts

I don't see why a robot should be treated the same as a carnifex. Could you explain why you feel this way? In before vehicles can be killed in 1 shot.

Because they really are more like a Monstrous Creature than a Vehicle.

Every description and fluff about them, just makes Vehicle rules not do justice to them.
The ASPCA would like to confirm that no Fluff Bunnies were killed or harmed in the creation of this post.

Zeller

Zeller

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,162 posts
That said it's fundamentally a vehicle. Now, given that it could no doubt take a harder beating than a tank due to the majority of exposed components just being armor and motive related, perhaps if there were a way to represent this. AV that must be beat, destroyed, but 2-3 wounds where it must be destroyed. So each destroyed result loses a wound. That would make dreads very nasty.

Brother Landrain

Brother Landrain

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,446 posts

That said it's fundamentally a vehicle. Now, given that it could no doubt take a harder beating than a tank due to the majority of exposed components just being armor and motive related, perhaps if there were a way to represent this. AV that must be beat, destroyed, but 2-3 wounds where it must be destroyed. So each destroyed result loses a wound. That would make dreads very nasty.

But Vehicles do not sleep... They don't tell stories of their Primarch.. they are not asked for their consule...
They are not in essence.. alive and self-aware (DC dreads the exception)

I don't see why a robot should be treated the same as a carnifex.

If anything the comparison is not so much as a Carnifex... as a Wraithlord.

Eldar Wraithlord: Towering over its foes, the Wraith lord is controlled by the essence of one of the craftworld's mightiest warriors

Dreadnought : A chapter's Dreadnoughts are treasured relics, only awoken in great need. Encased inside every Dreadnought, lies a mighty space marine hero, who has suffered grievous wounds in battle, saved only by his interment. Venerable Dreadnoughts bring their wisdom to the Chapter in times of peace, and immense battlefield experience in times of war.

the jeske

the jeske

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 19,518 posts
ah so a DE squad would just disembark from their raiders then poison tap dreads and they would die from it , while a less "armored' rhino would be immune to DE guns . I find it lol.

dreads are just like they should be . cheap support units[like rifle man] or something that can be poded inside an army and buy an extra turn.

"Felix wondered how Calgar might feel about the primach's unilateral altering of the Codex Astartes. The captain could not help but feel that, in his drive for victory and efficiency, Guilliman had been careless with the feelings of his existing sons. Increasingly, Guilliman looked to the Primaris Space Marines as his first solution. He made no attempt to hide the fact that the days of the older space marines were numbered."

Brother nathan

Brother nathan

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,790 posts
i justthink they should have an inv save...
Img_CH00_08Awards_03_ETL_2012A.gif
They stand against the coming storm, they are not buffeted by war, the thunder of guns does not shake them, nor do the rains drench their spirits,
for they are the true storm and they shall not be denied! For the Emperor and Sanguinius they will fight!

TheMouth

TheMouth

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 309 posts
the dread rules are fine, just tweak how you play with them and they will stay around longer.

Ive found that running lightning claws o death for my dread tends to get my dread killed the next turn, as there are no models left in combat....and he gets shot to pieces...blood fists on the other hand i stay around through opponents turn and then on my turn can move and charge about as i please.

Orange's tactic is one I use often, and is friggin awesome.
BRING BACK VORTEX GRENADES!!!!!!!!!

Black Blow Fly

Black Blow Fly

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 15,588 posts
Dreadnaughts are fine as is. It's not going to change anytime soon. You have the Furioso with armor 13 and WS6... that's pretty darn good in my opinion.

G ^_^
my 40k FB Page:
Terminus Est
Blood and Honor!