sternguard, do you use them?

shdwcypher13

I ask because I don't them mentioned often in ba lists. So I started wondering to their usefulness and their field abilities. Never having used them myself I that I'd pole you opinions and thoughts in them. And if you do indeed use then in what numbers and load outs.

If I like what I see in responses I may build a list around a unit of sterngaurd..... hell who am I kidding I'm planning on doing that anyways. ;)

Five in a Razorback, 3 combi meltas, 2 melta guns, and a Sang Priest. Kill a transport assault the crap out of what comes out. It worked pretty well when I've played it.

I built my Sternguard using MkIII iron armour marines from FW, I love the models so I field them all the time.

ant1clock

I built my sternguard out of DC models and some SG parts.

Mine use a sergeant with a fist and combi-melta, 3 combi-plasmas and 2 normal guys. (Combi-plasmas were chosen because that's what I had at the time).

I don't run them often, but they can be an effective unit.

dam if you could use the ammo with the storm bolter i would use a man man unit every time how awesome would it be to have two 30" str4 ap4 shots every time you move you would do so much damage. I also wish they had a type of ammo something like shredder rounds str4 ap- assault 4 range 6" maybe i think that would be awesome

I run them regularily as either 5-7 man - DP or RB, 2 meltas for general use or 10 man in a pod with max plasma - 2 melta if needed for furious first turn drop.Just make sure you cover the second option with a tac squad.

Unfortunatly BA do assault teh best, so it kinda works poorly with podding or non-mech armies.

HAving said that, my squad is a hit squad - targeting hive tyrants or nob squads fr a turn then if the y survive its all a bonus.

I love sterngaurd personally.

I fail to see how you think that would work since the Special Issue ammo changes the Profile to Rapid fire anyway since there is no such thing as assault 2 rapid fire.

i didnt think i was just asking because i never use them and i havent spent much time looking at anything to do with them

Personally, and i dont want to cause offense, i see o swearing here.

Also, its a fair question to ask -prenelf- but please be civil.

Then again, im not a Mod................................................

Or else ask the ultras, they use stern heaps more then us.

i will ask questions as i please if you dont like them fair enough but i will still ask them i haven't played as much as most others so fours are a great place to find out things people are uncertain of, i did not know about the storm bolter and the ammo and i did not have my codex and saw the topic of sternguard so i felt like asking simple as. i am in no way interested in fighting with you there is no point in it.

Grrr...

If I'm away from my codex I would ask the community here for reminding or clarification of detail.

Now then.

Sternguard are overlooked because we have so many BA things to be excited about. Most lists contain a clear majority of BA specialities/C:SM differences.

I've used them to great (actually literally perfect) success and think, despite their elite slot competition, that they're staggeringly powerful combined with magnafrags & SRs. While folks get all excited about high initiative CC attacks 'going first', nothing goes first in melee like the shooting phase does... and their shoot phase is impressive with the placement precision a SR can deliver.

I've removed several posts.

There was nothing in prenelf's question that was inappropriate. Lots of posters have had the confusion as to whether or not special issue ammo works with stormbolters. Lets try to avoid responding with "just check the codex", or if you feel a question is inappropriate due to being somethign that can easily be looked up in the codex, just don't answer.

Also, please report posts where you think someone has posted inappropriately rather than responding in kind.

just because its still on my mind. and I'd love more input, what would be good builds for a Veterans lists, Vanguards and sternguards. How would they work together? And of couse how would you put up your list and at what points? yeah I know alot of questions but hell thats what this is for general. :lol:

Im seriously considering running a squad as an elite unit hunter probably with 3xcombimeltas and 2xheavy flamers in a rhino or drop pod.

The reason you see don't see alot of sternguards in BA list's is because there so many other cool stuff in the elite slots

I've been using a squad of 10 with combi-plasmas/plasmaguns against other space marine armies, that AP2 wins a lot of fights before they even begin. And d@n is correct, my elite slots are usually filled already, but when I have the chance the Sternguard can put out some impressive firepower.

Archived