Dante, Sang Guard & Priest

Deschenus Maximus

Hiya there,

So I tried Dante + Sanguinary Guard + Sang Priest tonight against Deathwing. Man, they rocked hard, but a few things popped up that had me questioning how I had equipped the squad and the priest. First, I had one Guard with a Power Fist. He never got a chance to use it, because when things went ok, the DA termies got massacred before he got to swing. When things went bad, he and the rest of the squad got massacred before he got the chance to swing. Therefor, I'm wondering if I might not just as well stick to 5 Glaives and go for wipeouts all the time.

Secondly, I gave the priest a power weapon and a IP, but I'm questioning that now. The IP got to fire once, because it was always out of range. So I'm wondering if I shouldn't go with a combi-melta + lightning claw instead.

Thoughts?

You shouldn't be in combat with anything you need a fist against. I know it is only 10pts, but you can realistically kill 2 MEQs on the charge with a Sanguinary Guard with Glaive so don't wait to take Power Weapon hits back before swinging your Power Fist. Go for maximum kills right away.

Sanguinary Guard are your mop up unit. They aren't a hammer as they do not possess the invulnerable saves necessary for prolonged assaults. All you need is a Priest to ensure they swing earlier and are wounding easier. The only HQ I would add would be a Librarian to give them Unleash Rage

You shouldn't be in combat with anything you need a fist against. I know it is only 10pts, but you can realistically kill 2 MEQs on the charge with a Sanguinary Guard with Glaive so don't wait to take Power Weapon hits back before swinging your Power Fist. Go for maximum kills right away.

The assumption there is you can dictate the game 100% of the time.

In my experience even the best laid plans can go south and when that happens the fist comes into play. Been many a time when I'm thankful for the S8 attacks.

The assumption there is you can dictate the game 100% of the time.

In my experience even the best laid plans can go south and when that happens the fist comes into play. Been many a time when I'm thankful for the S8 attacks.

I agree here, I think the PF is pretty mandatory for any squad since you never know what might charge you, or what you might need to charge to keep from rampaging through your lines. The pf or th is needed imho.

I'm kinda in the middle... and think Sanguard should be with a buddy unit 100% of the time and at least one of these two units must have a PF/TH.

Priests with combi-m and LC are a pretty solid choice with strong benefits and mild shortcomings. 5 point melta bombs isn't terribad either if you've got the points left. When multicharging and a priest is a second IC, putting him into a safer place (vs the vehicle) is wise.

You should have enough Thunder Hammers and Fists on the table top, along with enough melta, to not have to rely on a fist in your Guard.

It really is a waste of their ability.

+1

The PF is not mandatory in SG, it is rather wasted points and potential.

If I may promote myself shamelessly, I've written a short tactica-article regarding the Sanguinary Guard, you shall find the answers to your problems right there:

Sanguinary Guard Analysis

Well, I hope it was helpful for you in the end. ;)

Snorri

Good read Snorri. But you've failed to mention tactica regarding a Sanguinary guard army. I would like to point out that a "Sanguinary guard army" would need a few power fists laying about. I believe this is where brother-capt. is coming from.

Here is my current build:

Chapter Banner, power fist, 2x infernus pistol

The power fist was very helpful this weekend at a GT. For example if you multi assault a couple tanks it comes in very handy. It was also very useful versus Tyranids and SW.

G <_<

Good read Snorri. But you've failed to mention tactica regarding a Sanguinary guard army. I would like to point out that a "Sanguinary guard army" would need a few power fists laying about. I believe this is where brother-capt. is coming from.

But remember the unit in question has Dante in it and can Hit and Run. An SG army should definately have some PFs laying around. But if it is only 1 unit and they're with Dante, I wouldn't waste the points on a PF.

Mine has done some wonders for me. Sometimes S8/9 is the only thing that can save your bacon. And it's not always possible to keep SG out of harms way unless maybe you're playing for a loss or tie and don't want to sacrifice your golden boys.

G :P

Mine has done some wonders for me. Sometimes S8/9 is the only thing that can save your bacon. And it's not always possible to keep SG out of harms way unless maybe you're playing for a loss or tie and don't want to sacrifice your golden boys.

G :HQ:

Ultimately we are talking about squeezing blood from a stone here and you are certainly not gimping your army if you put a PF in your Dante lead SG squad.

However I take issue with the suggestion that it is the only thing that would save your bacon. Since the PF was going to go (near) last, it wasn't going to prevent any damage before you had the opportunity to Hit and Run. The same amount of delicious SG bacon was saved, and those infernus pistols do a pretty mean S8 as well.

If we are all still discussing using the SG and a Priest as a bodyguard for Dante then the attacks you lose hitting at I5 are more than made up for by way of Dante and the Priest. Dante is throwing down 7 attacks on the charge at I7 and the Priest is throwing down another 5 attacks (power sword and bolt pistol), all of these hitting on 3+ against most enemy units. By taking the Chapter banner you basically get back the power sword attacks lost due to taking one power fist. the banner is well worth it.

G :rolleyes:

Oh if you are running them with Dante AND an priest then you will need a Fist, cos that unit is a big target.

I'd also make sure the Priest has a Combi Melta and the unit has 2 Infernus Pistols, so you can use Dante's Deep Strike rule and get 4 Melta shots off against some armour

Archived