Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Ghattana Bay Army

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
40 replies to this topic

Mr.selfdestruct22

Mr.selfdestruct22

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 23 posts
My apologies if this is in the wrong area-
I have an idea to make an army using the Blood Angel codex that will include the following:
Captain
1 Librarian Dreadnought
2 Furioso Dreadnoughts with Frag cannons
4 Death Company Dreadnoughts
20 Death Company Marines on foot
5 Sniper scouts
3 Dreadnoughts with a mix of ranged anti-tank

Silly? Probably. Tactically unsound? Likely. Fun? I think so!

Here's the hook- the reason for the dreadnought spam is not for their awesomeness, but in relation to the story of Ghattana Bay during the 3rd war for Armageddon. During the battle for Gate IX, 17 dreads from multiple chapters fought and defeated a massive Ork Kan army.
I will paint each dread up as a different chapter along with 2 marines from each. They will be tied together visually using themed bases and excessive battle damage. The death company will represent the last rag-tag survivors of the defenders, and the valiant stand of the Dreadnought force. Im thinking that I want to stay away from major chapters, so I would be painting up the Celebrants, Mortifactors, Storm Lords, Storm Giants, Omega Marines, Marines Malevolent, Sons of Guilliman, Angels Porphyr, Exorcists, and Celestial Lions. The scouts will be Black Dragons, Angels of Fire, Silver Skulls, Iron Champions, and Angels of Vigilance.

I think this will be fun, if difficult to win with. I just wanted to throw it out there and see what everyone thought of the idea- Terrific, terrible, exploit, exercise in futility, what have you. I would prefer to use the Vanilla marine codex, but I feel that 10 dreads captures the spirit of the background better than 6.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Olis

Olis

++ REDEMPTIO CALIDUS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 15,375 posts
Sounds like fun. Iirc the story of The Battle For Gate IX is based on a battle fought at GW HQ during the War For Armageddon global campaign. :D
Posted Image
Posted Image

Cowriter of the Guilliman Heresy Project. First Thread. Second Thread.

B&C forum rules: Linky. Octavulg's IA guide: Linky. DIY Article Templates: Linky.

He that never changes his opinions, never corrects his mistakes, will never be wiser on the morrow than he is today. - Tryon Edwards

Witty

Witty

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 39 posts
I for one would quite enjoy seeing this all painted up, go for it!

Wulf Vengis

Wulf Vengis

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,334 posts
Oh sweet Emperor how I enjoy the sight of a fleet of Dreadnoughts stomping its way across the battlefield and laying waste to every traitor and xenos filth between them and the enemy lines.... Joygasm.... :o
The Lone Wolf Saga or The Lone Wolf Saga
XBOX LIVE GAMERTAG: Orlath83

Mr.selfdestruct22

Mr.selfdestruct22

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 23 posts
I will be starting a log this weekend in the work in progress area and on Warseer to keep everyone abreast of the army. Since this will be (for better or worse) my 2012 tournament army there's going to be a display board as well that I'm going to model after Gate IX itself.

Coryphaus 101

Coryphaus 101

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 515 posts
Sounds awesome. Can you link the blog in your signature?
QUOTE (Wolf Lord Kieran @ Jun 11 2012, 04:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Billuriye @ Jun 11 2012, 02:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
As for Janus, we don't know. Since he's a psyker he can't be Loken nor Garro but he's probably one of gents hired by Garro.

well, considering that loken has been crushed by a titan/falling building, survived a virus bomb,, survived a duel with abby, punked lucius the eternal, took a world eater in cc, pwned the 2 marines the WE was with, and then came back to his sanity with a single sentence... i believe that loken will manifest whatever abilites the BL decides to give him.

maybe he is a latent psyker that abilities were brought out by the trauma he suffered in being so awesome. <_<

Mr.selfdestruct

Mr.selfdestruct

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 148 posts
Well after a considerable hiatus I will finally be starting this army. 3 dreads assembled, 1 awaiting assembly, 1 Contemptor on it's way from ForgeWorld, and 20 marines assembled and base coated. I'll see about getting some pics started as soon as the Contemptor is in.

Nicorex

Nicorex

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 871 posts
hey I like your idea. but I have a minor change to it. Drop the captain for a librarian, you lose the invuln save but gain psykic power and protect plus a force weapon.
QUOTE (A D-B @ Mar 20 2012, 05:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
But sometimes, like now, it's just terrifying.

A D-B thinks im tinfoil hat crazy!

BoltMan is my Master Now!
"I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it."

Paulochromis

Paulochromis

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,569 posts
Sounds like an awesome project
Can't wait to see pics - make sure to include some wrecked Kans on the display board.

Drop the captain for a librarian, you lose the invuln save but gain psykic power

He has a Librarian Dread already.

War will never cease until babies begin to come into the world with larger cerebrums and smaller adrenal glands. -H.L. Mencken (1880-1956)
It's not the genius who is 100 years ahead of his time but average man who is 100 years behind it. -Robert Musil (1880-1942)
People of small caliber like to sit on high horses. -Magdalena Samozwaniec (1894-1972)

19.jpg

Mr.selfdestruct

Mr.selfdestruct

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 148 posts
Actually Nicorex is spot on- Ive replace the Captain with a Librarian to accompany the Death Company. Im giving both him and the Libby Dread Sheild of Sanguineus to help survive some shooting as I plod across the board. The infantry Libby is also getting unleash rage to give the DC Preferred enemy :cuss

Mr.selfdestruct

Mr.selfdestruct

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 148 posts
Here's a quick update on this project if anyone is still interested! I have all but one dreadnought fully assembled, and of my infantry only the librarian is incomplete. I have one more dreadnought not pictured, my Mortifactors Death Company Dread. It is 90% painted as are it's two accompanying space marines. The painted minis shown here are also about 90% done, as they still need detailing and unit markings.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Just wondering, could a moderator move this to the Work In Progress section?

Edited by Mr.selfdestruct, 11 August 2012 - 12:20 AM.

The Colossus

The Colossus

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 641 posts
Ah this looks really cool. Will be following this!
Index Traitoris: Brazen Warriors

QUOTE (Zynk Kaladin)
I think I would make an excellent servo skull, provided my head doesn't explode. 1st ever Adepta Sororitas locker room servo skull, giggity.

QUOTE (Possessed Marine)
like Emperor's Children... "They're on our side, right?" "No sir, they're actually traitors." "Really? With a name like that?"

We live on front porches and swing life away...

Lachdannan

Lachdannan

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,054 posts
Awesome concept. Will keep an eye on this.

Brother Daeger Helsir

Brother Daeger Helsir

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 131 posts
I love this idea!

A friend of mine suggested though-

You could do this army as Master of the Forge, 10x Tactical Marines, and everything else is all-dreadnoughts, all the time.

"He who has lost sight of protecting the common man in his zeal to destroy the Emperor's foes- Shun him! He has betrayed his very purpose as an Astartes."
- Joachim Bornhald, first Chapter Master of the Bright Lords (attributed)

Lux Permanet!

Mr.selfdestruct

Mr.selfdestruct

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 148 posts
Yeah, unfortunately that only allows 6 dreads, I'm goin for 10! The two other biggest advantages to this list are the AV13 Furiosos, and getting to take a Librarian dreadnought. In a perfect world I would be using the standard marine codex to represent this army, as I am not really a fan of trading codexes. Someday if I ever decide to play Apocalypse again (unlikely) I'll just run them as standard dreadnoughts and probably leave out the marines themselves as they aren't mentioned in the story. For now though the Blood Angel codex is a means to an end.

Mr.selfdestruct

Mr.selfdestruct

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 148 posts
UPDATE! Here are the Storm Giants, Exorcists, Omega Marines, and Mortifactors. All other models are primed and have all the metal areas painted. These ones still need weathering and some detail, but I'm going to do that across the entire army at the same time to ensure consistency. The Celestial Lions are on the workbench right now, and I'm replacing the Celebrants with the Silver Skulls. I have 8 weeks left until the tournament I want to bring these guys to, so I'm ahead of schedule. Right now I'm averaging one dread and his marine buddies in four hours of painting, one night a week. I have 4 left to do, and then 5 scouts, and a display board. Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Honda

Honda

++ HOSTICUS PLAUSTRUM ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 6,549 posts
You sir, win the internet today. Coolness factor of 11 out of 10. Legendary Rating is 11 out of 10. Epicness Rating an 11 out of 10.

You are what this hobby is all about.

Bravo!

Edited by Honda, 21 September 2012 - 07:03 PM.

Posted Image

"All those rumors about us being intolerant and stubborn really just evolved from our history. We're actually just a fun bunch of guys who enjoy burning witches" - Anon

Nuclear Fridge

Nuclear Fridge

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 132 posts
The lightning-pattern shin plates on the Storm Giant Dread are a very nice touch...

Demoulius

Demoulius

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 6,309 posts
Interesting read and nice looking army! :P

If its viable or not.. Who care tbh when you have such a cool army? :) If your going through the trouble of making it my guess is that winning at all cost isent your highest priority :evil:

My blog: click me! Latest update 20th of December. 6th edition musings.
Blood angel BFG Blog: click me

a particular Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:
"I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it."

sml_gallery_64798_13809_5652.jpggallery_48988_15465_4294.png

Retributis

Retributis

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,404 posts
Shouldn't this be in the Painting, Converting and Artwork > Works in Progress forum?

Not that that takes anything away from the awesome here <_<

Mr.selfdestruct

Mr.selfdestruct

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 148 posts
Thanks to all of you, I appreciate the positive feedback. I am definitely the guy who will come in dead last at a tourney but will have the biggest smile on his face after a weekend of the hobby I love. Nuclear Fridge I'm very happy with the lightning, I'm going to try and find a way to put it on the two Storm Giant marines without making them look like Night Lords. And yes, Retributis, I wouldn't mind a mod moving this for me if any of them are out there...
Silver Skulls and Celestial Lions are almost done, then Storm Lords and Angels Porphyr are all that's left!

Mr.selfdestruct

Mr.selfdestruct

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 148 posts
Quick update kids- All but ONE dreadnought is painted, all but three marines are painted, and the scouts have had their camo cloaks sculpted. Ill post pics by the end of the week.

Mr.selfdestruct

Mr.selfdestruct

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 148 posts
Posted ImagePosted Image

Durus

Durus

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,417 posts
Looks awesome! :)

Player 404

Player 404

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,451 posts
Now I definitely wish I'd have thought of that idea first, this army is great!

Grats on the awesome progress! :)

'We're definitely on the wrong side, Khârn.'
'How can you say that?'
'Because both sides are wrong.'
- Argel Tal, in Betrayer