DanteWing Tactica

birdbath

DanteWing - The Terminator Army with Wings

This is just a quick tactics guide so people can start to think about the DanteWing army a little more and think about how to improve how people play such a list. What would be really good is making this into a popular thread for tactics so members of B&C get the most out of the army from players all over the world and not just from me and my crazy ramblings. Hope you enjoy the read and can't wait to see other peoples contributions.

Changes in 6th

I want to only talk about a few changes here that I think are the biggest changes to effect a DanteWing army. Good and bad.

Reserves

Now that I have to start with 50% of my units on the battlefield I find myself changing the style of play somewhat. Before all my army started in reserves and because of the very accurate deep strike rules blood angel posses I have a good chance could get a large part of my force on turn 2 with no problems. But because Dante’s unit take up 3 slots I have to start the battle with all the other units on the field. This is not a bad thing or a good think but we now have to think about looking after the squads that jump across the field rather than deep striking into my opponent face on turn 2.

Furious Charge

This is one of the biggest nurf for us. With the loss of the initiative which had given this army along with the rest of the blood angel book. This is the main reason I cut my priests from 3 to 2 and I seem not to miss the other priest as much as i thought but it has taught me to position my priest better.

Power Weapons

Before we could cut through any troop armour that stood in our way but now with ap3 and some ap2 that strike at I1 we have to pick and choose our fights a little more and turn to our pistols to take out 2+ saves. Thunder hammer terminators are still going to be a problem as they are for every army but we may turn to the heavy guns of the Storm Raven to do the job rather than our troops.

Flyers

Flyers are the best thing that came out of 6th for the DanteWing. Storm Ravens pack a punch with the guns and missiles combined with being Hard to hit they will own the Skies. Just to expand on the synergy of Storm Ravens is the fact that DanteWing could not hurt fliers too much because of the short range of the guns they carry and they need something to protect the skies and destroy heavy threats. I never liked taking tanks or devastators in this army to do the job of my Storm Ravens they always seem to slow for the rest of the army.

Fearless

DanteWing lists are almost 100% fearless and any change to this rule for the better would be massive. The times I have lost key models to fearless in the past is not worth remembering and with the lists I play each model is treated as a bar of gold that does not want to be taken away from me.

Unit breakdown

Let’s take a look at the units I have used in my 6th edition standard army list. I will be only doing a quick rundown of each unit because I am sure most of you know what they are designed to do.

Dante

The poor old guy that gets carted around from battle to battle. Obviously this guy is an auto take for any DanteWing army (DUH!).

Strengths

Master of the Host

This is the best rule this little gold chap has... It's the reason I stopped waiting for the grey knights. When I use Dante in my lists I take full advantage of this rule and you will see in the army list section later.

Tactical Precision

The other main reason I see for taking Dante and almost as important as the first main rule (Master of the Host) is the "Tactical Precision" rule which enables Dante to not scatter on deep strike. Now this can be used in 2 ways but they have almost the same result. You can do it the old fashioned way and deep strike as normal or you can come in via a Storm Raven and use "skies of blood". I always use the normal deep strike method and have never tried the Storm Raven delivery because of the grey area on the rules so I go for the straight cut method. Would be nice to do the other method but it's not that much of a kick in the teeth.

Tactical Precision and Unit Composition

My main target when using "Tactical Precision" is to go for the biggest target on the board or somekind of artillery as a preventative method to protect my other units. Most of the time artillery is positioned behind cover so this will help Dante’s unit from a counter charge or getting shot at by the rest of the army.

Dante’s unit is the tank hunters of my army on the turn they enter the board so this gives you an idea of the sort of unit composition that Dante will always run with. The 2 choices DanteWing has are honour guard and sanguinary guard. Both have some advantages over the other but in the end create the same outcome. 6th edition has helped me make my decision because of the sanguinary guards 2+ save but the lack of melt bombs has caused some problems for me in this new edition such as combat with dreadnaughts but you always get hit and run with Dante’s squad. For the moment I am taking Dante with a unit of sanguinary guard with 3 inferno pistols and a banner along with a sanguinary priest.

Hit and run

I have only used this rule in my opponents turn so I get the charge in my turn. Hit and run is just as clear cut as that. I never use it in my turn because of the counter charge or getting shot at. I always use it in my opponents turn to get the charge the following turn or move to another part of the battle field and fight another unit in turn leaving the other unit in the open and a long way from any unit.

Death Mask 2.0

Dante’s death mask is a bit of a special death mask that has extra rules that removes stats from an enemy character. The model I normally choose is a psyker because most of them have only 2 wounds and your opponent will think again about using powers with only 1 wound left. It just gives you that extra bit of doubt from your opponent which is very welcome in an army that has no psykers of one’s own. Also this war gear makes the sanguinary guard unit he is with from upgrading to death masks because 1 is enough to do the job.

Weaknesses

I believe the biggest and only weakness is the lack of eternal warrior. Being one of the oldest marines alive you would think this would be the first rule he has. In some respects I am glad he hasn’t got any more rules because He is expensive enough. This rule would punch him over the 250pt mark and that is too much for my tastes.

The other double edged sword is his new FAQ axe that now uses the power axe rules. poor old Dante can's swing as fast as he used to but he hits harder.

Sanguinary Priests

These guys are all about the feel no pain & furious charge. Keep them at the back of the unit and keep them alive. These guys will give you the edge over your opponent in most cases. As we all know furious charge has taken a big hit and this has made me drop the number of priests I have in my army to just 2. A strength bonus is still very nice indeed.

The side grade from the feel no pain is a hit and miss but still it protects against plasma and I see plasma guns and pistols being increasingly more popular in this edition.

For the equipment of a priest I try and keep them cheep. In 5th a was in favour of the power sword, jump pack and a hand flamer combo and now I am just going for the jump pack and melta bombs because having a bit more anti-tank in combat helps a lot and now they can work on dreads so they are very good value.

Sanguinary Guard

This is the only army in the game that can say they have flying terminators as a troop choice (thanks drunken angel) and this should be taken full advantage of.

At 40pts each they seem on paper to be quite expensive for what you get but every upgrade is worth its weight in gold and boosts the unit a lot. The chapter banner is a big boost to one of your units and offsets the two handed rule of the weapons they carry.

One of the big downsides is the lack of tank killing power in combat. Dreads are a big pain once you get into combat as it is normally a battle that you lose. It's a big shame these guys can't have melta bombs but you can't have everything.

Always remember not to buy death masks for the unit that includes Dante because you only need 1 death mask to cause the effect.

I don't want to go on and on about this unit when somebody has already covered it in vast detail and better than I could have done.

Storm Ravens

As you can tell from above, I love my Storm Ravens and like to run 2 of them when possible. I feel that just the one Storm Raven is not the best place to put your points and I would rather get another unit of guard but run them in pairs and they are so worth the 400pts and more survivable. I find myself never putting troops in my Ravens at the start of the game but sometimes resort to hover mode on the last few turns to pick up a unit for safety or maybe take a unit to an objective. I always look at the title of the entry in the codex and it says "Storm Raven Gunship" not "Storm Raven Airbus" So I try to always keep them killing targets in zoom mode and never think of its transport options too much.

I keep my Ravens cheap and make sure they have the right firepower to take out the opponents anti air or other fliers. I rarely give Storm Ravens upgrades and 90% of games stick to the twin-linked lascannon and the twin-linked multi-melta. I think these 2 weapons combined with the Blood Strike Missiles will lay waste to any flier at the moment so I don’t want to spend any more points on these.

Army List & Play Style

My play style is very aggressive and in 5th I used an all melee force but now with the release 6th and I have made new lists and have played quite a few games and tried to experiment with lots of combination of units but have now settled for a standard 1750pt list that I use and then build on that list if I play bigger games. The way I play my games is going for the throat every time and try to keep my force in 2 blocks surrounded by priests.

I have racked my brains to make a build that I see as competitive. I never want to tailor my lists so I needed this list to work from game to game, opponent to opponent.

Dante 225

Sanguinary Priest with Jump Pack and Melta Bombs 80

Sanguinary Priest with Jump Pack and Melta Bombs 80

Sanguinary Guard with Power Fist, Chapter Banner and 3 Inferno Pistols 270

Sanguinary Guard with Power Fist and 4 Plasma Pistols 250

Sanguinary Guard with Power Fist and Inferno Pistol 220

Sanguinary Guard with Power Fist and Inferno Pistol 220

Storm Raven Twin Linked Las-Cannon and Multi-Melta 200

Storm Raven Twin Linked Las-Cannon and Multi-Melta 200

Total: 1745

Understanding the List

With almost every model having a 2+ save combined with feel no pain makes for an army that will not go down easy. It almost feels sometimes that small arms fire just slows down the game because it never does anything against this list.

The 4 Sanguinary Guard squads all have a job to do and one unit is always better to do the job. Firstly I have Dante’s squad that I have talked about above, tank hunting and big monster killing is what they do best.

The 2nd Sanguinary Guard squad is for heavy infantry killing like terminators. The idea that plasma will sort out most terminators when the storm ravens are unavailable and then get the over watch shots on them when they charge me the following turn might see a squad of 5 put down if I am lucky.

I often refer to the last 2 Sanguinary Guard squads as my 10 man squad as they always go round together and normally work together to take down horde units.

The main difference I made to my list from the transition from 5th to 6th was the constant inclusion of Storm Ravens because in 5th I favoured the Sanguinor and another jump pack priest but now with the new flyer rules they are too good to pass up. In the list above I use the Storm Ravens as they say on the tin, as a gunship and normally nothing else. This list also needs protection against flyers and the Storm Ravens will help control my opponent’s flyers. The Sanguinor was too much of a risk these days and if you ask anyone I am sure they would say 2 Storm Ravens are better than the Sanguinor and a jump pack priest with some upgrades.

If I went from 1750 to 1850 I would spent the points on a unit of scouts with sniper rifles and some upgrades like death masks.

How I Play My List

I normally start with Dante, the guard squad with the banner and one of the priests in reserves along with the mandatory Storm Ravens. The rest starts on the board all within 6" of the other priest within as much cover as possible. On turn 1 I will just move all the units I have up the board as far as they can go and get them into some new cover. Depending on the board setup I would send them up the flank and try to attack the opposite side of the board to Dante.

Turn 2 is the turn that I want to maximise my chance of going for the throat. Dante and his squad drop down and get behind the strongest unit or big tank on the board and blow it to pieces and try and make sure you get in as much cover from the wreckage if you went for a tank or dread. Also on turn 2 I hope to get at least 1 Storm Raven on the board to weaken the counter unit that is ready to avenge Dante’s target or go for something like a flyer or another big target.

If the 2nd turn goes well its normally a matter of time before the 3 guard squads and the priest that started on the board get to the enemy lines without too many casualties and should mop up the horde/cheap units. You will notice that your opponent will look at Dante’s unit and think that unit had to be put down at all costs so he/she will send a large number of units to wipe that unit out be it in assault or shooting. This will help the other units on the board get to the enemy lines in one peace.

When the Storm Ravens have done the jobs of killing flyers and heavy units they do 1 of 2 things 1) change to hover mode and pick up troops to take them to different areas of the battlefield to claim objectives or 2) stay in zoom mode and pick off any target they can get to. Most of the time I go for option 2 because it seems like a safer bet.

I will always try and go 2nd in all my games so my flyers can take a few shots at my opponent’s flyers and with going for the 2nd turn you can get that last turn of the game.

Conclusion

Well that Kinda sums it up for now but I will be adding a few more chapters to this in the coming months like what I do with higher points values and also how I fight my battles against different armies. I will be also adding tactics on more unit options including the sanginor, scouts and other units that I run with.

Thanks for reading and any comments are very welcome.

Bye for now...

BB

I really really like this list, If I was upgrading to 1850 though I would try to find the spare 20 points to grab a librarian. I would drop some plasma pistols to get hurricane bolters on the ravens as even just one Stormraven has enough firepower to quickly reduce a terminator squad. I won't send the SG anywhere near termies either the ravens are ample threat. Opponents with terminators will be reluctant to expose those terminators with the threat of 2 ravens stacked for gun runs. Just stay away from termies kill AV3 troops which is where SG excel and let the multimeltas and blood strikes do their job on the termies. The hurricane bolters on the ravens will help with crowd control which is where low model lists struggle I only have 15 SG so will probably make up the 4th unit out of 5 jump pack Death Company with an power fist and a power weapon.

Really nice guide thank you BB

Thanks Birdbath. I will add this to the Blood Angels resources thread when I get a chance.

I've been running a similar list, but I only own 2 Sanguinary Guard units and am not sure I want to add more. So Dante runs with a 10 man assault squad with 2 melta and a thunder hammer/storm shield sergeant.

And I throw in some attack bikes, since well every list deserves attack bikes.

I really really like this list, If I was upgrading to 1850 though I would try to find the spare 20 points to grab a librarian. I would drop some plasma pistols to get hurricane bolters on the ravens as even just one Stormraven has enough firepower to quickly reduce a terminator squad. I won't send the SG anywhere near termies either the ravens are ample threat. Opponents with terminators will be reluctant to expose those terminators with the threat of 2 ravens stacked for gun runs. Just stay away from termies kill AV3 troops which is where SG excel and let the multimeltas and blood strikes do their job on the termies. The hurricane bolters on the ravens will help with crowd control which is where low model lists struggle I only have 15 SG so will probably make up the 4th unit out of 5 jump pack Death Company with an power fist and a power weapon.

Really nice guide thank you BB

Good call on the librarian... Not sure what I would drop but it seems like it will have to be plasma pistols.

Thanks for the feedback so far.

Also I have never used attack bikes in this army. How would you use them in a DanteWing list?

I prefer twinlinked plasma cannons on my Ravens. Seeing a five man paladin unit get turned into mush from one shot is always so satisfying.

But yes, Stormravens support DanteWing armies in such awesome fashion I'm having a hard time writing a list that doesn't include both. Awesome looking models and just so much fun to play.

I give this thread two thumbs up.

You can shoe horn a librarian in at 1850 and as SevenExxes wrote it might be a good idea to take TL plasma cannons to deal with the 2+ guys which along with AP2 weapons are the only threat against SG. The Librarian with shield and something else or go for shooting divination powers.

Primaris power Prescience is re-rolling hits in shooting for any unit within 12 inches does that include Stormravens, is it worth putting the libby in the Stormraven alone and then work them together, twin linked and re-rolling after TL. Does primaris and TL stack? Foreboding, Forewarning and Misfortune are all strong powers for a SG list. I think the libby is a good upgrade for the shooting powers he grants. He can do all this from inside a raven away from assault.

I feel a little dirty after reading what I wrote, but if the Primaris Power prescience stacks on TL and the libby can run his powers from inside the ravens thats just evil. Missfortune runs well with the 24 inch range of the assault cannon and the multimelta I can see a 18- 24 inch broadside from a SR destroying lots of deathstars and things the SG can not handle.

I feel a little dirty after reading what I wrote, but if the Primaris Power prescience stacks on TL and the libby can run his powers from inside the ravens thats just evil. Missfortune runs well with the 24 inch range of the assault cannon and the multimelta I can see a 18- 24 inch broadside from a SR destroying lots of deathstars and things the SG can not handle.

You can't reroll a reroll. But my Typhoon rockets and Blood Strike missiles will love it. Great suggestion.

Also I have never used attack bikes in this army. How would you use them in a DanteWing list?

Attack bikes are great in pretty much every list anyway. But with Dantewing here's what I do with them.

Some units have to deploy, attack bikes help with that. Though I tend to only reserve Dante's squad anyway.

Bikes deploy in the front, providing cover to the SG behind. Bikes have jink so they carry their cover with them and can FNP almost anything except S10. All bikes carry multimeltas, so they provide better anti-tank then SG can and can help in combat.

Using the Primaris Divination power, those multimeltas become twin linked which really helps eat through big tanks, monsterous creatures or terminators. The same thing works with plasma armed honor guard, but I have found I prefer the attack bikes.

Attack bikes also scare people. Last night I played a game where I had 6 attack bikes out front of my Sanguinary Guard. The SG and my scouts got ignored from early shooting as the bikes absorbed so much of it through Jink/FNP. Enabled the SG to reach combat and beat down many necrons (so many poor Dante had no one to fight when he arrived).

Here was the list I was playing as an example (2k, but generally the local stores are using the 1999+1 style for 1 FOC).

Dante

Librarian, Episoltary, jump pack, hand flamer, force axe (I would cut the hand flamer but I modeled it and don't feel like removing it)

2 priests, each with a jump pack and single lightning claw. I want to give each a meltabomb as well, but need to find points (likely by cutting the darn hand flamer)

SG, banner, powerfist, 1 infernus. Librarian and a priest hang here.

SG no upgrades.

10 RAS, thunder hammer/storm shield sergeant, 2 meltaguns. Dante and other priest here (I only own 2 SG squads, or this would be a third SG).

5 scouts, 4 snipers, 1 Missile, cloaks.

3 attack bikes, multimeltas

3 attack bikes, multimeltas

Storm Raven, twin las/Twin MM

1 Aegis defense line, Quad Gun. This was due to 100 left over points and giving the scouts some protection. Might just add 5 scouts instead and drop the Aegis. Not sure.

I prefer twinlinked plasma cannons on my Ravens. Seeing a five man paladin unit get turned into mush from one shot is always so satisfying.

But yes, Stormravens support DanteWing armies in such awesome fashion I'm having a hard time writing a list that doesn't include both. Awesome looking models and just so much fun to play.

I would hesitate to put a plasma cannon on the Raven for 2 reasons. First, the main reason it was in the list was for anti-air, and the plasma cannon cannot shoot zooming flyers. Second, Plasma cannons scatter, and since you intent on being close to the enemy with an all SG list, you might find yourself under that template. I would stick to autocannon or las cannons.

I would hesitate to put a plasma cannon on the Raven for 2 reasons. First, the main reason it was in the list was for anti-air, and the plasma cannon cannot shoot zooming flyers. Second, Plasma cannons scatter, and since you intent on being close to the enemy with an all SG list, you might find yourself under that template. I would stick to autocannon or las cannons.

Something about a nail and the head springs to mind...

It's the scattering that gets me. I will never take them.

1) I take 2 Raven's with typhoon rockets and a twinlinked plasma cannon. That's 2 krak rockets and 2 Blood Strike missiles each on the turn they arrive firing into anything in the sky. With no flyers having anything above AV12 they die easy to S8 weaponry. Not to mention that with PoTMS I have downed 2 flyers in the turn my Ravens arrive using only one Raven whilst the other fires at ground targets if there are no more enemy flyers.

2) Scattering onto my own units has never happened. With BS4 the blast template hardly scatters if at all and can be re-rolled thanks to being twinlinked, which can also be used to re-roll "Gets Hot!" results. I don't shoot at units my Sanguinary Guard are set up to assault. They can take care of that enemy unit themselves. Afterall, that's what they are there for.

That is the reason I shoot to go 2nd so I get the first shots of the flyers. That way I hope to kill 1 maybe 2 of them.

I also never start with guard in my ravens its just to risky and they are better deep striking normally.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
2 OP: How the last GW FAQ (about glaive encarmite's rules) affected on your List?

Hi Valistan... It's a double edged sword :woot:

On one hand I liked that they all hit on my half decent initiative but the axe has given me flexibility without spending the points on powerfists. If I dropped the fist in a squad I will be adding 2 axes but I am still a bit worried about dropping the fist but it is a saving of 40pts across the army...

The big downside is poor Mr. Dante with one of his best stats almost wasted but if he really wants to strike at his initiative he could always pistol slap your enemy.

I will change the tactica to highlight this change in a few days time.

You may have me convinced :lol:

slightly different to you

I'm thinking three groups

the two gunships, both cannons and melta.

Dante, a priest and a squad deepstriking.

Three squads, banner, various upgrades to follow.

Three squads with the banner should be enough to overwhelm almost anything, although it would be MAD against hammernators.

You may have me convinced B)

slightly different to you

I'm thinking three groups

the two gunships, both cannons and melta.

Dante, a priest and a squad deepstriking.

Three squads, banner, various upgrades to follow.

Three squads with the banner should be enough to overwhelm almost anything, although it would be MAD against hammernators.

I don't think Dante's i6 is wasted. He tends to shrug off hits and kill a few models on his own every round. Most of the time my opponents are taking a break test on ld 6 or 7. When they fail, there's no escaping him catching them in a sweeping advance. It's not as good as swinging first, but it allows him to pick up a whole unit when he wins combat.

I thought about trying to make use of sanguinary novice (why do we attach trainee medics to our HQ's?)

Dante

Honour Guard

4 Meltas

Jetpacks

2 MM/Assault Cannon Ravens

4 Sanguinary Guard squads, one with the banner and one with a fist.

The fist squad has axes on the rest, everyone else swords.

The Dante squad, should, get two pens even on a raider, and its evens if one of them blows it up

Not sure I rate its chances of surviving the enemy counter.

Obviously, a basilisk battery would be a better target ;)

The Sanguinary Guard deploy as a block, if I deploy second, on the flank furthest from their squirminators, (or any other 2+ AP2), if I deploy first, dead center, and then bolt for a flank as soon as.

Ravens hit fliers, tanks, and then either finish off any battered squads of theirs, or rescue any of mine

Obviously, at 1850, I'd add some more unit upgrades, maybe a full fist squad?

(Dont see the point in death masks, there are no threatening units with low LD)

So far playing in 6th I have found that getting the ravens on the board early is the most important part of a short range shooting list like this. Maybe drop a SG squad for some scouts with aegis defence line and a coms relay as objective sitters. I know its not all SG anymore but having an objective sitter with portable cover that brings the raven in early is effective. The other thing I have found is hurricane bolters on ravens own horde lists the one thing that elite lists struggle with is hordes and the HB's can balance this very well.

The SG must be held back and move up after the ravens because often you encounter units that are just too hard or numerous for them untill these units have been knocked around by the ravens. There is always bad dice which can wipe a SG list out quickly.

I charged 20 bloodletters yesterday with 7 DC and a a 4+ invun from divination and lost the bloody lot from crap dice rolls. I would have been okay if I had held back and let the raven shoot them up for a turn. Lesson let the airpower weaken units first.

This variant of Bird bath's list is the bare bones at 1715 the strategy is to sit back and mitigate the losses from shooting early then move with the ravens across the board. I would dearly like to fit a librarian in there and at 1850 I would certainly include one. The scout squad tie up 160 poibnts with relay but man they make em back put that raven on the board one turn earlier than it would have come down and it gets the points back. Last 4-5 games with the relay I have arrived 2nd turn and taken out a key 150- 250 point model as well as blunting a foot charge with the hurricane bolters.

Dante 225

SG +fist + 2 IPs + banner 260

SG +fist + 2 IPs 230

SG +fist + 2 IPs 230

Priest JP 75

Priest JP 75

Scouts camo cloaks 90

Aegis defence line with coms relay 70

Raven TLAC MM Hurricane bolters 230

Raven TLAC MM Hurricane bolters 230

Total 1715

"horde lists the one thing that elite lists struggle with"

4 SG squads with a banner on the charge get 80 attacks.

50 Hits with rerolls*

34 wounds with FC on T4

Mass for Effect :)

Master Crafted.

Are people rolling each SGs attacks individualy? Because with only one reroll, we technicaly should

50 Hits with rerolls*

34 wounds with FC on T4

Master Crafted.

Are people rolling each SGs attacks individualy? Because with only one reroll, we technicaly should

The numbers are wrong. How do you get 80 attacks? Only one squad can have a banner and the banner does not have a +1 attack bubble.

50 Hits with rerolls*

34 wounds with FC on T4

I did the math I think your 15 attacks short of 80. Banner in one SG = 20 attacks the other 3 squads are 3 attacks per model so come to 45, in total you have 65 attacks. Put a priest in there and you add 5 more attacks add Dante and thats 7 more, your still 3 short of your figure of 80.

I dont think thats a good idea, first putting all your SG in one spot, secondly winning combat against 200-300 points of trash using 1300 points of SG, Dante and priest. I dont like the idea of putting everything in one place and being templated off the board or shot to bits afterward either.

Anything kills a demon, an orc, an acolyte, a guardsman, or a kroot; massed nurgle zombies anyone? Not many have faced that but I have looked at the lists and done the dice offs already, zombie + MoN = tarpit. Use the ravens guys, really there is no need to risk SG getting tied up till the numbers are reduced, even overwatch from massed troops can tip combat against you.

Archived