Inspirational Friday 11/30/2012

Brother Nihm

Have you ever had an Aspiring Champion pull off truly heroic/lucky/insane feats?

Did you win because of him, or did he cost you the match, or were his feats simply so memorable that you remember them fondly - to this day?

Have you since upgraded him to a Lord, a Prince?, or has he been granted the gift of Spawndom?, OR did you banish him to the trash bin to languish there for eternity?

If you have had such a moment,

Please share your Champion's tale and perhaps post his picture here to celebrate him.

I had a Champion waaaay back now. His squad got shot to bits by some loyalists before they had a chance to get into CC. They finally get stuck in with a squad of Sternguard (who had contributed quite a lot of the damage), there's like 5 of my dudes left including the champ, and the Sternguard are totally untouched. I think it took a few rounds, but my CSM squad actually won! I had some insanely good luck with the dice, and to be fair my opponent should've minced the squad. It was made all the more awesome by the fact that the champ was the last man standing from either squad. He got killed by a dread the turn after, but hey. I don't have the model anymore, but I think I will be homaging him with a character in my new army. Rarely have so many laughs of disbelief come from such a crappy list (Yeah it was Gavdex at the time).

I swear by Power Swords on Champions of Slaanesh. They generally strike first and ignore the armour of all but the hardest opponents. Everyone in my gaming group swears by Power Fists or Axes so my champion has been merrily lopping off heads since the new codex came out.

Until one day when it seems he forgot to switch his sword on. A pivotal moment in the battle (The Chaos marines had the wind up them are were well on their way to a romp) saw the champion charge in to a unit and challenge the sergeant. The CSM squad killed the Space Marines squad and the sergeants clashed in an epic battle... Over 2 turns both either failed to hit each other or failed to wound until eventually on the 3rd round my champ failed again but the power fist sarge snuck 1 wound on me. The sarge (having won the combat by 1) then ran down the rest of my CSM squad and continued on to bag a Predator and hold an objective to win the game for the Imperial scum.

In the same game my Chaos Lord on Bike was charged and killed the enemy character during Overwatch and Nurgle turned him into a Spawn for being so cheeky.

During one of my first games using my Deathguard army, I came up against a Black Templars force. I'm not too proud to say that he showed me how to play the game :P However, one unit of Plague Marines proved to be the bane of his existance. After blowing up their rhino on turn 1 and forcing them to foot slog it (not that the Deathguard mind too much) they proceeded to shrug off every single shot and attack thrown at them. Bolters...plasma...power weapons...somehow they managed to survive (and defeat) everything he could send their way.

Finally, in an act of desperation, he tried to tank shock the unit with a rhino. The Plague Champion then stepped forward and pulled a Hellboy...punching the rhino to death. Not the most difficult of things to pull off, but still a fantastic finish!

So, Ladies and Gentlemen...I give you the Plague Champion I christened, Road Block!

gallery_61317_7819_682032.jpg

...and yes, the BT helmet was a trophy I gave him after the battle!

I have one on the reverse side, a plgue champ who was unable to defeat a spacewolf wolf guard in a challenge for 5 rounds of combat, despite wolf only having a used up combi melta, and my champ having gift, power axe, plasma pistol. After the 2nd round all the grey hunters were dead, to the lsoe of one plague marine, so the remainder sat round in a circle while this forced challenge goes on jeering at my failure of a champion. in the end Typhus walked in, took up challenge and slaughtered the wolfguard for final kp that won me game (followed by us fighting it out and the plague champion being cut down for his incompentence).

No pics yet but when I've finished making a custom typhus model, he will have a 'slave' on a chain behind him in disgrace (possibly wearing a dunce hat)

Not quite with the Chaos Codex but I had one of my Chaos Lords with a bolter running around using the Space Marine codex rules, with a storm shield and hellfire rounds as a cheap and durable thorn in my opponent's side. At one point he detached from his Sternguard squad and charged a pair of Imperial Guard heavy weapons teams. My opponent fires his Leman Russ's battlecannon on the Sternguard, but it scattered directly over my Chaos Lord, also managing to cover both the heavy weapons teams. Regretting his losses, he decides to roll for killing his men first, but wounds both teams and doesn't make his cover save. Then he rolls to wound for my Chaos Lord - and turns up a 1 :) Since then he has been repainted and is now the terror of the Black Legion for my forces.

I was facing Space Wolves, and it was in the period after 6th, but before our new codex. The Aspiring Champion in one of my squads had endured heavy shelling together with two of his fellow marines, who happened to be the two ones carrying melta guns(well, they were the furthest back ones in the unit of course, hehe). They had just came out of a cc win in my opponent's turn and consolidated here behind a Drop Pod, putting them out of LoS from his damn long fangs. In my turn they advanced, shot meltas on a dread and destroyed one of his arms(which had the only weapon that could overwatch, the other one had a plasma cannon), threw two kraks and did another hullpoint, and then the champion finished him off with a meltabomb. Consolidate you say? Yes, exactly the amount needed to get back into hiding behind the Drop Pod again, hehe! He then went off to glorious deeds in many many many battles(I honored him by painting him up after that)!

They were so sneaky and Alpha Legion like so we just had to take a picture of them:

http://imageshack.us/a/img440/2757/bildqz.jpg

My NM Champ became an MVP in a game I played recently.

Got 3 boons during the course of a game, netting him Witch Eater and some other enhancements. A Librarian decided to find out how tough he is and took a S6 hit for his troubles when I made my Deny the Witch roll, which got me a victory point I would not have gotten otherwise and helped me win the game.

I had one recently.. and to this day it makes me shake my head in confusion. it was a tryout game with a friend. first time I had ever decided to give a run with plague marines, and not the new ones the last codex version of them. anyway I was up against my buddies tyranids during the course of the game i was doing very well and for the most part winning when suddenly his tyrigon prime burst straight up out of the ground on my left flank. i knew i had to do something fast to deal with it or at least pin it in place or i would be in a world of hurt and this one thing could cost me the game as with its arrival it lightning bolted one of my predators and killed it. (lucky roll but meh). the only unit i had on that side was this squad they ran up blasted 2 wounds off with meltas then charged at it. I had hoped that at least their feel no pain would keep em going long enough for me to send something else over to finish it off.

what i hadn't counted on was 2 things 1. his prime being able to challange... and 2. my plague champs stubborn refusal to die.

with my friends main push soon after this arrival and turn of events I really didn't have much to start running in that direction towards the fight, my dreadnought tied up with gaunts, my terminators going toe to toe with warriors, etc etc but for almost 2 turns of close combat my champion with a bolt pistol and a power fist beat the loving tar out of the prime. by the end of the 3rd phase of close combat my champion stood on top of its broken corpse spat in its face and yelled out for more. to me this feels rediculous in the extreme but the dice rolls were frightning as my friend would only really wound 2 to 3 times out of his 6 attacks and somehow i managed to pass all my feel no pain rolls. i honestly write him off by the second round expecting him to go down and then the rest of the unit go at it with grenades but in the end he on his own beat it down... a feat I've never been able to do again. by him doing that and in the nick of time i must add I got to consolidate back enough ((need an inch but whatever)) back onto my objective score it and win the day. if i had a Nurgle themed army that guy would so be promoted to being a lord.. or something! even my friend agreed with me on that. it was just crazy that he survived so much then held the banner to win the day.

David.

The only decent aspiring champion story I have (or can remember) is when my zerker champ challenged an aspiring sorceror. He was with a 6-7 man unit along with a AoBF lord but their rhino had been blown up the previous turn and the unit was shot to pieces by those damn inferno bolts. It ended up being the champ and lord after surviving overwatch. Anyway the lord rolled pretty well with his AoBF but missed most of his to hit rolls ending up killing only 1-2. Meanwhile we rolled for our challenge. I roll 3 hits, 3 wounds, he fails 2 saves. He rolls.....no hits! I was suprised, hadn't expected him to survive. Next turn he hits with his attacks and kills another 2 TS. Pretty much repeated this process until they were all gone while my lord swung his axe around in the air. ;)

In the long struggle against the Tau that has been raging for about a year and a half it had been a back and forth struggle...

In the first game of 6th with the new dex, I was using my deathguard army, there was one unit in a rhino, champ with a fist and plasma pistol and gift... AND O WHAT A GIFT!!! He started the epic run by getting multiple gifts, FNP (not that he already had it) +1 S on his pistol and shred, such a nice run there.

In the first turn he managed to take out a unit of infiltrating stealth suits (with the help of the rhino and another marines bolter) then the next turn the other unit of stealth suits with the same unit (still inside its rhino). My opponent then decided he needed to take this unit down and fast. A crisis commander and his bodyguard deciding to take up this job managed to take down the rhino and a few plagemarines. the following turn the remainder of the unit moved up and mowed down a unit of fire warriors (this point I was truly blessed by the dice gods) The unit of suits opened fire and mowed down all but one of the deathguard and the champ... I decided it was a all or nothing situation so charged! With the over watch the last of the marines fell leaving only the champion... He strode in and commenced the challenge. One power fisting later the commander had fallen and his unit ran down! This spout of mass murdering won the game and also saved all but one unit from even being harmed!

My story is actually one of the heroism of one of my friend's marines.

For some reason, I ALWAYS have bad luck agianst a Blood Angels player in my leage. Not bad enough to always make me lose, but for some reason that I can't quite understand, he has a tactical marine with a missile launcher that just rolls well. One game he took out my defiler with a turn 1 48' (exactly) shot to frontal armor. The next week he had a little defiler icon painted on his banner and we had a good laugh.

I think my most memorable moment was against my buddy's Eldar. My friend is a very, very good Eldar player, and actually hadn't been beaten in something like five months until I got the new codex. Our first game, I charged his full squad of Wraithguard with a squad of 13 plague marines. He overwatched and did a horrific amount of damage, killing 4. But, I still had 9 and a Sorcerer, so I wasn't too worried, especially with poisoned attacks..... :devil:

Anyway, so, my sorcerer was on a palanquin, but he had gotten hammered by Eldrad using mind war the previous turn, so I instead chose to challenge with my Champ. I always use a PA on him, as I just love the extra strength and the AP2 love. So, he absolutely crushed the warlock, ignoring both wounds the little guy put on him before hitting with all 4 attacks and wounding with 3, and then he rolled on the boon chart, getting Fleshbane. Haha, I then proceeded to kill 2 Wraithguard a turn with that one Champ, mowing through the entire squad by the end of turn 3, after having charged on turn 2. I then charged Eldrad with him and challenged, just because at this point I was kind of interested in seeing how good he could be, and boy was I in for a pleasant surprise! Eldrad, of course, went first, and he stacked two armor ignoring wounds on my champ, but somehow I got insanely lucky and passed both. My Plague champ then proceeded to put four wounds on him, which is one of the luckiest attack rolls I've EVER gotten, and killed Eldrad. HUGE coup, I have to say, but the best part was next...... haha, I guess Nurgle was impressed, because he turned him into a Daemon Prince! I almost couldn't believe it, honestly! My buddy was not so impressed, but I charged a 20-man squad of guardians with him on his own, and of course he laid wasted to them, before the game ended at the end of turn five with an overwhelming victory for the newly vindicated forces of Chaos! After that, I started taking boons of mutation on just about everything. I still have the model, as it's the new champion model, although heavily modified, but he's not painted, sadly, as I'm in the middle of a VERY long move :(

I have a Berserker Aspiring Champion who earned himself an honor name during a battle with the Imperial Guard one day.

I had never faced an IG tank company before. Leman Russ tanks with supporting Chimaeras as far as the eye could see. And this was a fairly low points game, but there it was. I confidently started my Berserker army straight up the middle, as usual. I was still fairly new to the game, but so far this had been working for me and had become my modus operandi.

Then the tanks opened fire.

My Berserkers had their Rhinos shot out from under them right away. We were committed to the charge, however, being in the middle of the field in an open space with no cover. Nowhere to go but straight in, even though it was a much greater distance than I was used to. Culloden comes to mind, or even Pickett's Charge. Thank the Dark Powers for Fearless, anyway.

So here are my Berserkers, bravely making their way across the field to mount an assault. Another round of firing and I've got an Berserker left. Sergeant Golnir, leader of the 8th Squad "Shield Biters". All on his lonesome and staring down an IG Parking Lot army. At least the Light Brigade had horses, Golnir just had his boots and a Power Fist.

Unfortunately for the Imperial Guardsmen, this was all he really needed. And he was slightly perturbed by having to walk.

So Golnir makes it through some shooting, gets stuck in, and proceeds to fist everything in sight to death. He's going like a fox in a hen house, and I'm beginning to think that this one Berserker sergeant is going to tear through my friend's list all by himself. It seriously looked like a possibility there for a minute.

Then, of course, a Commissar rushed some panicked troops out of a Chimaera and whipped them into a gun line. First rank fire, second rank fire, that sort of thing. You know, they're just lasguns, but you get that many essentially rapid firing at one guy, one nearly standard space marine, and that's all she wrote.

By then it didn't matter. Golnir had pleased the Warsmith, because dying with style is just as good as winning sometimes. For his ludicrous valor, stylish villainy, and brilliant display of spite, the sergeant of the 8th squad was awarded an honor name, adding "the Relentless" to his given name. When I was remodeling him before a painting challenge here on the B&C a while back, I knew that I had to put him in a pose that captured his attitude properly:

Sergeant Golnir the Relentless

gallery_53134_7133_72377.png

gallery_53134_7133_149216.png

In my first 6th edition game I played against space wolves. My lord

http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/8140/chaoslord.jpg

Was smashed by thunderwolf cavalry, my chaos terminators opened fire and killed all thunderwolves, except one and a Wolf lord. Then TWLord and grey hunters squad charged these terminators, who killed the last thunderwolf with overwatch. After 2 rounds of combat, all grey hunters were dead, as well as terminators, with only champion with RAC

http://img717.imageshack.us/img717/972/chaosterminatorj.jpg

and TWLord standing. Lord missed 4 of 5 his attacks, champion made his save, and in return he caused enough wounds to finish off the Lord, gaining kill point and "slay the warlord", as well as denying "linebreaker" for Space Wolves, and at the end I won by 1 point.

It was so unbelievable, that I made him a new Lord.

Lord Shredder (I'm a fan of TMNT Shredder XD )

http://img832.imageshack.us/img832/4213/lord1q.jpg

http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/2343/pc010361.jpg

Archived