Star Phantoms IA

Armond

Index Astartes

Star Phantoms

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/522695_10152658295275249_547936339_n.jpg

Known for possessing an utter disregard for those outside their Chapter and having been left to wander the stars alone, the Star Phantoms have built a reputation across the Imperium as being staunch isolationists and having a dark reputation.  Their indiscriminate use of destructive weapons has garnered them a reputation as being ruthless and callous.  Even so, they are known for their willingness to face death in any of its forms

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/59771_10152656353775249_1003659132_n.jpg

Origins

T
he Star Phantoms were founded during the 23rd Founding, also known as the Sentinel Founding.  Their purpose as a new Chapter was to defend the Imperium’s ill-starred and often vulnerable areas against any incursion.  Segmentum Obscurus was to be their theater of operation.  The question of who their primogenitor is remains a mystery and one that the Star Phantoms view as having no consequence in and of itself.

Home World

T
he Star Phantoms were originally bound to Haakoneth, a shrine world populated by technologically backwards barbarian tribes.  An immense temporal warp rift coupled with an invasion from the Hrud and Orks in 101.M40 lead to its destruction.  The Chapter was ordered to evacuate the planet, although not all members did so.  This event would sound the death of nearly two-thirds of the chapter.

They then became a fleet-based Chapter and worked to rebuild their numbers.  The Star Phantoms traversed the galaxy meting out punishment to the enemies of the Imperium aboard their last remaining Battle Barge the Momento Mori.  

In the aftermath of the Macharian Crusade, as a reward for their successes, their were given dominion over the worlds of the Badab Sector by the Inquisition.  They chose the ice world of Jahga in the Archean System.  Using their badly damaged battle barge, the Momento Mori, they established a new fortress monastary by landing the craft onto the surface of the ice planet.  Here they have begun the process of rebuilding their chapter as a result of the Badab War.

Beliefs

”Only In Death Does Duty End”

T
he Star Phantoms have a culture built around the veneration of the dead.  Death is the ultimate reward for their service, and great honour is reserved for those who have died serving the Emperor.  Often the Astartes will carry a keepsake to battle made up of the bones or ashes of a fallen brother; it serves as a talisman and remembrance to their honoured kin.

The Chapter is also known for their solemn funerary rites and they observe any such function with a grim countenance.  The Chaplains of the Star Phantoms serve as the high priests within their Mortuary Cult and they worship the Emperor as their Imperator Mortifex – Judge of the souls of the dead and keeper of martyrs.  Bringing death to the enemy and dying for the Emperor are their only concerns as Angels of Death.

Combat Doctrine

T
he Star Phantoms are well known for employing extremely effective fleet based tactics; this has its roots based on their existence as a fleet-based chapter after the destruction of their original home world.  They are also well known for their use of low orbit drop pod assaults coupled with orbital bombardments and heavy ranged firepower delivered by their deployed forces.  This preference for powerful close-range weapons has led to extensive collateral damage and the Chapter has been earmarked as being reckless in their delivery of heavy firepower.

It is not unheard of for conflicts to arise between the Star Phantoms and members of other Imperial forces, including other Astartes.  Most notable of all is the rivalry between themselves and the Marines Malevolent during the Macharian Heresy, which led to the near destruction of both chapters.

Organization

T
he Star Phantoms’ preference for heavy firepower is shown in their Chapter’s organization.  Wherever heavy weapons can be taken, they will be found.  Plasma and melta guns are found in abundance throughout their squads, while command members often carry combi- weapons almost as a badge of honour.  

The standard practice of two devastator squads as precribed by the Codex Astartes is not followed; Star Phantom companies employ three such squads.  The chapter is also known for their sizeable force of vindicators, predators, and land raiders.  Deathstorm drop pods are also a much utilized asset, and are found to be a mainstay in most of their operations.

Gene-seed

T
he Star Phantoms’ geneseed is of unknown origin.  There are whisperings of Dark Angel geneseed, although this is denied with great fervor and has so far been unsubstantiated. The Star Phantoms themselves consider it an issue no one else need to concern themselves with and view it as a subject to be spoken about within the chapter.

Battle-cry

” Only In Death Does Duty End…”

Star Phantoms Timeline

Kharas Ohillon – this decorated Veteran Sergeant of the Star Phantoms’ Sternguard stalks the field with his hand-crafted combi-melta in search of the enemies of mankind. His story began in 788.M41 and ultimately culminated with his return after a successful service with the Deathwatch as a Tactical Marine starting in 987.M41. His prowess at ranged combat were worthy of note by the Ordo Xenos, and he returned to his chapter with the Marksman’s Badge after felling a Warrior Prime (an especially deadly synapse creature utilized by Tyranids) from a significant distance and amidst the chaos of battle. A place in the 1st Company’s Veteran Sternguard squad was was given to Armon upon his return in 991.M41 where he continues to mete out punishment to the enemies of the Imperium.

Star Phantoms Timeline

I'm reasonably sure no-one has made one, probably due to the small fanbase these marines have. However if anyone is interested in making one it could very well be the current clutch of fraters who have Star Phantom WIP threads. 

I am very interested in being part of it, and I am looking at my Space Marine bits I have and seeing exactly what I can do with it.  I have a Land Raider sitting around, a Venerable Dreadnought, and various pieces for Space Marine Tac Squads, Jump Marines, Terminators, etc...

I like what I have read about them and the fact that they have some fans here might just make this IA happen.

Is the majority of that info available on the lexicanum or the wiki?  Also, I wish I had those books, but money is not exactly easy to throw around what with the two kiddos and such.

well, myself, biohazard, freakiq, youngwolf, possibly nighthunters, and yourself are all there are at the moment. but we could do something........ fill some gaps.

and give those upstart Marines Malevolent a run for their money.

Maybe come up with some awesome fluff that involves killing MMs?  LOL, in any case if people are interested it may be a nice thing to do!

Sounds like a fun project, and who knows, we may even garner a few more fans!  I think creating the IA and also creating our own fluff for some personal characters could make it a cool cooperative piece!  

I believe they fit C:SM right?  No need to use another codex?  In any case, how should we begin?

Started messing with the IA a bit, nothing too crazy just trying to get the format correct. Once I get something substantial I will post it in a new thread. However, on the other hand, I would like each person to come up with a "hero" of this Chapter. I want to incorporate them into the timeline/notable heroes aspect of it since the info on these fellas is sparse!

If you have any ideas for what to write in the different sections, we can make this a team effort. Just post it here and I will add it/edit it into the working document I have on my computer.

Oh good lord, apparently I do not know how to code this thing.  I did fine with my other IA, and even used it as a template, did something change with the upgrade?

Yes, the upgrade played havoc on the BBCodes. In all likelihood, you are using the image tags, but the software has thrown the url tags inside those tags, turning your images into links. What you need to do is edit the image tags.

So using one of my own images as an example, you are probably entering code that looks something like:

[img=http://image.bolterandchainsword.com/uploads/1321645789/gallery_26_548_19159.png]
The problem is that when you do this, the new software turns it into:
[img=[url=http://image.bolterandchainsword.com/uploads/1321645789/gallery_26_548_19159.png]http://image.bolterandchainsword.com/uploads/1321645789/gallery_26_548_19159.png[/url]]
Which results in it looking like:

http://image.bolterandchainsword.com/uploads/1321645789/gallery_26_548_19159.png

What you need to do is adjust the image coding to:

[img=http://image.bolterandchainsword.com/uploads/1321645789/gallery_26_548_19159.png]
Which results in:

gallery_26_548_19159.png

Also, the new software is automatically deleting blank line breaks before/after certain codes, especially the center code. My current cheat for that is to manually enter the bold tags around a space for the blank line. That usually works, but it will disappear if you go back and edit the post (as is happening with all of the edits I have to make to the Tabula Astartes). My long term solution is to create a transparent gif that will serve as a vertical spacer (and I suppose I'll have to create gifs in varying sizes depending on the font size I'm using). Tables have also been severely affected, and many of the old BBCodes don't work properly. We may be able to fix this in the future, but we might be limited in what we can fix and what we won't be able to fix without developing alternate solutions.

Brother Tyler, thanks for all the assistance. Have the start of the IA, more details to be added!!!

I would like each person to come up with a "hero" of this Chapter. I want to incorporate them into the timeline/notable heroes aspect of it since the info on these fellas is sparse!

Throw some ideas around for additional fluff as well!!!

I figure perhaps C:SM and not looking for a specific, I just want to flesh out the Chapter a bit. Also if you have ideas for the IA that would work too!

BTW, I am in Alaska as well, stationed at Elmendorf!

• 4 weeks later...

Archived