When the new Codex landed and I was forced to redo each of my lists, I decided that each one should be suitable themed in order for me to use as much of my collection as possible. For my 2000 point list, this theme was to become a heavy mech list. Or at least as close as I can get to one. Therefore:

Seventh edition Codex update:

Heavy Mech, 2000, BSF

Mephiston

~ Biomancy

Furioso Librarian Dreadnought

~ Level two upgrade

~ Sanguinary

~ Warlord

Tactical Squad (5)

~ Heavy flamer

~ Melta Bombs

~ Razorback

~~ Lascannon and twin-linked plasma gun

Tactical Squad (5)

~ Heavy flamer

~ Melta Bombs

Assault Squad (5)

~ Melta guns (2)

~ Combi-melta gun and melta bombs

~ Drop Pod

Terminators (5)

~ Thunder hammer and storm shields (4)

~ Land Raider Redeemer

Stormraven Gunship

Predator

~ Lascannon sponsons

~ Overcharged engines

Vindicator

~ Overcharged engines

Cerberus Heavy Tank Destroyer

~ Heavy bolter sponsons

Thoughts

• Mephiston is running solo hence the Biomancy. He and the Furioso Librarian arrive via Stormraven and are a tag team.
  • Furioso Librarian is the Warlord to gain some decent benefits off the BA table.
  • Terminators will arrive via Deep Strike. This frees up the Redeemer for the Tactical Squad to jump in at the start.
  • 10 AV14 HPs. 9 AV 13 HPs. 28 total HPs.

Feasible?

• 1 month later...

Option One

When the new Codex landed and I was forced to redo each of my lists, I decided that each one should be suitable themed in order for me to use as much of my collection as possible. For my 2000 point list, this theme was to become a heavy mech list. Or at least as close as I can get to one. Therefore:

Heavy Mech, 2000, BSF

Mephiston

~ Biomancy

~ Level two upgrade

~ Sanguinary

~ Warlord

Tactical Squad (5)

~ Heavy flamer

~ Melta Bombs

~ Razorback

Tactical Squad (5)

~ Heavy flamer

~ Melta Bombs

Assault Squad (5)

~ Melta guns (2)

~ Drop Pod

Terminators (5)

~ Land Raider Redeemer

Stormraven Gunship

Predator

~ Lascannon sponsons

~ Overcharged engines

Vindicator

~ Overcharged engines

~ Heavy bolter sponsons

Thoughts

• Mephiston is running solo hence the Biomancy. He and the Furioso Librarian arrive via Stormraven and are a tag team.
  • Furioso Librarian is the Warlord to gain some decent benefits off the BA table.
  • Terminators will arrive via Deep Strike. This frees up the Redeemer for the Tactical Squad to jump in at the start.

Feasible?

Option Two

Decided to make a new version that uses the Flesh Tearers Strike Force. Freeing up that Troop slot means I can take something else to better supplement the army.

Heavy Mech, 2000, FTSF

Mephiston

~ Undecided

~ Level two upgrade

~ Sanguinary

~ Warlord

Tactical Squad (5)

~ Heavy flamer

~ 2 x bolt pistol and melta bombs

Assault Squad (5)

~ Melta guns (2)

~ Inferno pistol, bolt pistol and melta bombs

~ Drop Pod

Terminators (5)

~ Heavy flamer (1)

~ Land Raider Redeemer

Stormraven Gunship

Predator

~ Lascannon sponsons

~ Overcharged engines

Vindicator

~ Overcharged engines

~ Stormbolter

~ Heavy bolter sponsons

Now, I just need to finish it off. Either:

Bike Squadron

~ Grav guns (2)

~ Combi-grav and melta bombs

~ Attack Bike

~~ Multi-melta

Or

Command Squad

~ Storm Shields (3)

~ Melta Guns (3)

If I take the former, Mephiston will retain Biomancy. If I take the latter, Mephiston will switch to Divination (or possibly Sanguinary). Other tactics will remain the same and all being well, I get to play test this in eight days time.

• 2 weeks later...

Option One

Heavy Mech, 2000, BSF

Mephiston

~ Biomancy

~ Level two upgrade

~ Sanguinary

~ Warlord

Tactical Squad (5)

~ Heavy flamer

~ Melta Bombs

~ Razorback

Tactical Squad (5)

~ Heavy flamer

~ Melta Bombs

Assault Squad (5)

~ Melta guns (2)

~ Drop Pod

Terminators (5)

~ Land Raider Redeemer

Stormraven Gunship

Predator

~ Lascannon sponsons

~ Overcharged engines

Vindicator

~ Overcharged engines

~ Heavy bolter sponsons

Thoughts

Feasible?

Option Two

Decided to make a new version that uses the Flesh Tearers Strike Force. Freeing up that Troop slot means I can take something else to better supplement the army.

Heavy Mech, 2000, FTSF

Mephiston

~ Undecided

~ Level two upgrade

~ Sanguinary

~ Warlord

Tactical Squad (5)

~ Heavy flamer

Assault Squad (5)

~ Melta guns (2)

~ Drop Pod

Terminators (5)

~ Heavy flamer (1)

~ Land Raider Redeemer

Stormraven Gunship

Predator

~ Lascannon sponsons

~ Overcharged engines

Vindicator

~ Overcharged engines

~ Stormbolter

~ Heavy bolter sponsons

Now, I just need to finish it off. Either:

Bike Squadron

~ Grav guns (2)

~ Attack Bike

~~ Multi-melta

Or

Command Squad

~ Storm Shields (3)

~ Melta Guns (3)

If I take the former, Mephiston will retain Biomancy. If I take the latter, Mephiston will switch to Divination (or possibly Sanguinary). Other tactics will remain the same and all being well, I get to play test this in eight days time.

Opted for the Bike Squadron. How did it get on? Go here.

Been having a think following the aforementioned match. If I keep Mephiston in I'll go with the Command Squad bodyguard next time. Alternatively, I'll do this:

Option three

Flesh Tearers Strike Force

~ Level two upgrade

~ Malefic :devil:

~ Warlord

Scout Squad (5)

~ Shotgun (1)

~ Melta bombs

Assault Squad (5)

~ Melta guns (2)

~ Drop Pod

Stormraven Gunship

Techmarine

Tactical Squad (5)

~ Heavy flamer

Terminators (5)

~ Heavy flamer (1)

~ Land Raider Redeemer

Bike Squadron

~ Grav guns (2)

~ Attack Bike

~~ Multi-melta

Whirlwind

Predator

~ Lascannon sponsons

~ Overcharged engines

Vindicator

~ Overcharged engines

~ Stormbolter

~ Heavy bolter sponsons

Extra vehicle? Check. Techmarine in a mech list? Check. As for the psychic shenanigans, it could work and it could be very funny. The best part is that this is the optimal way to use Malefic for us and the Techmarine can make the repairs...

• 5 months later...

Got a 2k game penciled in against my regular Eldar opponent in either two or three weeks' time.

Been having a think following the aforementioned match. If I keep Mephiston in I'll go with the Command Squad bodyguard next time. Alternatively, I'll do this:

Option three

~ Level two upgrade
~ Warlord

Scout Squad (5)
~ Shotgun (1)
~ Melta bombs

Assault Squad (5)
~ Melta guns (2)
~ Drop Pod

Stormraven Gunship

Techmarine

Tactical Squad (5)
~ Heavy flamer

Terminators (5)
~ Heavy flamer (1)
~ Land Raider Redeemer

Bike Squadron
~ Grav guns (2)
~ Attack Bike
~~ Multi-melta

Whirlwind

Predator
~ Lascannon sponsons
~ Overcharged engines

Vindicator
~ Overcharged engines
~ Stormbolter

~ Heavy bolter sponsons

Extra vehicle? Check. Techmarine in a mech list? Check. As for the psychic shenanigans, it could work and it could be very funny. The best part is that this is the optimal way to use Malefic for us and the Techmarine can make the repairs...

Ordinarily I would probably opt for the above list in order to keep my themed approach going. However, I am becoming increasing concerned about how long I can keep this going for; the game itself will be the first time my opponent has been able to field an Craftworld Warhost.

Whilst I don't know the ins and outs of his list, I can guess the following:

• No Storm Guardians and no Jetbikes means the Core part will be a Guardian Battlehost. There will be no other Core bits.
    • Farseer, Vyper, War Walker, Support Weapon, 3 x 10 Guardians with free weapon platforms
  • Command will be either a Seer Council and/or a Craftworld Legend
  • Auxiliary will include the following: Dire Avenger Shrine (Wave Serpents), Aspect Host (2 x Warp Spiders and maybe Fire Dragons for BS5), Wraith Host (Wraithknight, Wraithlord, Spirirt Seer, 3 x Wraithguard). Possibly Wraith Constructs and Outcasts if points are needed. So far, he's not a fan of the Vehicle Squadron rules, but I may see a Squadron of Falcons (Engines of Vaul) set up.

So yeah, I'm a little bit concerned right now...

Edited by Jolemai

Baal Preds will be awesome to dakka away his guardians, or even see council. Hooray for instant death on S6!

Grav bikes to take out the wraiths?

The redeemer will serve you well too. I'd almost say use it as a transport for a Techmarine and a unit of servitors so it can be kept healthy. Maybe.

Whirlwinds could be fun for piling on wounds with ignore cover.

I'd avoid psykers in general against Eldar, it won't be your phase I imagine :(

Baal Preds will be awesome to dakka away his guardians, or even see council. Hooray for instant death on S6!

Grav bikes to take out the wraiths?

The redeemer will serve you well too. I'd almost say use it as a transport for a Techmarine and a unit of servitors so it can be kept healthy. Maybe.

Whirlwinds could be fun for piling on wounds with ignore cover.

I'd avoid psykers in general against Eldar, it won't be your phase I imagine :sad.:

I don't actually have a Baal... :blush.: The Bikes will be wraith hunting but they didn't do too well last time...

In the last game the Redeemer did surprisingly well killing Wraiths ! Doubt I'll get away with that again. Previously it was supposed to carry the Tactical Squad so there's room for the Techmarine of course. He'd either go there or in the Stormraven to keep the Furioso Librarian Dreadnought company (he's there to repair the damage caused from Malefic you see).

Whilst it would save me ~ 175 points if I drop out the FLD, I'd need to replace it with another HQ choice anyway (I'm using two FTSFs) so what would benefit this force?

His Wraithknight is armed with a suncannon and scattershield. Whilst I could charge it I face losing my Warlord to a Stomp attack... The FLD will be arriving via Stormraven, so we're looking at turn three before it does anything charge-wise (Interestingly I should rule the skies because you can't take just one Crimson Death in a Craftworld Warhost) - that should also give me time to knock out his Farseer and/or Seer Council. I'm also going to try and avoid using Skies of Fury because the last time i did that, the FLD got immobilised...

That does pose an interesting question: do I roll on both the Sanguinary and Malefic table and subsequently pick both Primaris (assuming nothing else is better) or do I roll fully on the Malefic table gaining two randoms and the Primaris? Hmm. Certainly the latter gives me the chance of to turn my immobilised/almost dead FLD into a Bloodthirster for a laugh...

Edited by Jolemai

Meanwhile, if I drop the Terminators and move the Redeemer to a vacant HS slot, I can take a Sicaran with Schism of Mars (Tank Hunter), and War of Murder (Monster Hunter) to my Stormraven, give the Techmarine an Auspex and fit another heavy bolter onto the Cerberus...

Hmm...

The trouble is, the above link recommends Daemonettes; do I really want a combat unit that will give the Eldar players a re-roll to hit in the first turn of combat? (Eldar have Ancient Doom - which is basically Hatred and Fear of Slaanesh (Mark/Daemons))

Meanwhile, if I drop the Terminators and move the Redeemer to a vacant HS slot, I can take a Sicaran with Schism of Mars (Tank Hunter), and War of Murder (Monster Hunter) to my Stormraven, give the Techmarine an Auspex and fit another heavy bolter onto the Cerberus...

Hmm...

Which looks something like this:

~ Level two upgrade

~ Warlord

Scout Squad (5)

~ Shotgun (1)

~ Melta bombs

Bike Squadron

~ Grav guns (2)

~ Attack Bike

~~ Multi-melta

Land Raider Redeemer

Sicaran Battle Tank

~ Hunter-killer missile

~ Legacy of Glory: Schism of Mars

Stormraven Gunship

~ Legacy of Glory: War of Murder

Techmarine

~ Auspex

Tactical Squad (5)

~ Heavy flamer

Assault Squad (5)

~ Melta guns (2)

~ Combi-melta, bolt pistol and melta bombs

~ Drop Pod

Whirlwind

Predator

~ Lascannon sponsons

~ Overcharged engines

Vindicator

~ Overcharged engines

~ Stormbolter

~ Heavy bolter sponsons

~ Pintle-mounted heavy bolter

What book has the list of Legacy of glory and have you thought about (if you were able to get it) the Warhammer world command tanks. It gives you a lot of growing room from all their rules and it gives you 2 tanks that class as 1 HQ for 400 points. Link to rules - http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2015/06/breaking-new-space-marine-command-tanks-rules.html 

What book has the list of Legacy of glory and have you thought about (if you were able to get it) the Warhammer world command tanks. It gives you a lot of growing room from all their rules and it gives you 2 tanks that class as 1 HQ for 400 points. Link to rules - http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2015/06/breaking-new-space-marine-command-tanks-rules.html 

Legacies of Glory can be found in Appendix II (page 244) of Imperial Armour volume 2 second edition: War Machines of the Adeptus Astartes. There's a write up of them here. Sadly I haven't got the Command Tanks but it does pose a suitable HQ choice for this list going forward.

Been playing with Battlescribe to look at the points of the Eldar beast and that, combined with what I know of my opponent's collection and what trends he does, means I can guesstimate his list.

At Guardian Battlehost will rock up at 500 base. Whilst he does like his Wraithguard, the Wraith Host clocks in at almost 1000 base so I doubt I'll see that. As he hasn't the models for the Crimson Death Formation, he'll likely take Eldar Missile Launchers on his Wave Serpents and the token War Walker to try to stop my Stormraven, likes to field Dire Avengers, has a dislike for the vehicle squadron rules, and so on. Basically, something like this (Detachment special rules in Italics) is what I'd expect:

Craftworld Warhost

~  6" Run moves for the Detachment

Core

Guardian Battlehost

~ 3 x 10 Guardian Defenders (2 x Scatter Laser + one other)

~ Farseer

~ War Walker

~ Vaul's Wrath Support Weapon

~ Vyper

~ 1 x Free support weapon for each Guardian Squad; Vyper, VW Support Weapon and War Walker have Preferred Enemy if targeting something within 12" of the Guardians

Auxiliary

Aspect Host

~ 2 x Warp Spiders (Exarch)

~ Fire Dragons (Exarch)

~ +1 BS; re-roll failed Morale, Pinning & Fear Tests

Dire Avenger Shrine

~ 1 x Dire Avengers (Exarch, Wave Serpent)

~ 2 x Dire Avengers (Wave Serpent)

~ Re-roll failed Morale, Pinning & Fear Tests; once per game in the shooting phase, avenger shurikan catapults become Assault 3; +1 BS

Engine of Vaul

~ 1 x Falcon (Fire Dragon's ride)

Wraith Constructs

~ Wraithknight

~~ Suncannon and scattershield, two secondary weapons

Command

Heroes of the Craftworlds

~ Autrach (not a beast by any means)

Of course he might drop the Wraithknight and opt for some more chaps/Falcons, but my list in #41 can take that?

When making the above list I had ten points left over and as I couldn't afford sponsons on the Sicaran, I gave it a hunter-killer missile; my thought process is that it synergises well with the accelerator autocannon and Tank Hunter. However, it turns out that my Whirlwind doesn't have Overcharged Engines. I'm probably going to hide it in a corner behind the Cerberus, so should I stick or twist?

(For Sicaran sponsons, I need to find 4 mbs for heavy bolters and 8 mbs for lascannons...)

• 4 weeks later...

Which looks something like this:

~ Level two upgrade

~ Warlord

Scout Squad (5)

~ Shotgun (1)

~ Melta bombs

Bike Squadron

~ Grav guns (2)

~ Attack Bike

~~ Multi-melta

Land Raider Redeemer

Sicaran Battle Tank

~ Hunter-killer missile

Stormraven Gunship

Techmarine

~ Auspex

Tactical Squad (5)

~ Heavy flamer

Assault Squad (5)

~ Melta guns (2)

~ Combi-melta, bolt pistol and melta bombs

~ Drop Pod

Whirlwind

Predator

~ Lascannon sponsons

~ Overcharged engines

Vindicator

~ Overcharged engines

~ Stormbolter

~ Heavy bolter sponsons

~ Pintle-mounted heavy bolter

How did this list get on? Read here.

• 6 months later...

Decided to revamp this list and in doing so, I have dropped the Cerberus in favour of a few more units and my new Predator. I figure that some more targets is a good thing and seeing two Predators, a Sicaran and a Vindicator rolling up a flank can be a tad daunting...

Blood Angels - 2000 points

~ Level two upgrade

~ Warlord

Scout Squad (5)

~ Bolt pistol and close combat weapon (3)

~ Shotgun (1)

~ Bolt pistol, chainsword and melta bombs (1)

Bike Squadron

~ Grav guns (2)

~ Combi-grav and melta bombs (1)

~ Attack Bike

~~ Multi-melta

Land Raider Redeemer

Sicaran Battle Tank

~ lascannon sponsons

Stormraven Gunship

Techmarine

~ Auspex

Tactical Squad (5)

~ Heavy flamer

~ Bolt pistol, chainsword and melta bombs (1)

Assault Squad (5)

~ Melta guns (2)

~ Combi-melta, bolt pistol and melta bombs (1)

~ Drop Pod

Whirlwind

Predator

~ Autocannon and lascannon sponsons

~ Overcharged engines

Vindicator

~ Overcharged engines

~ Stormbolter

Captain

~ 2 x inferno pistols

Scouts (5)

~ Bolt pistol and close combat weapon (4)

~ Bolt pistol, chainsword and melta bombs

Attack Bike (1)

~ Multi-melta

Predator

~ Autocannon and lascannon sponsons

~ Overcharged engines

Options

As you can see, I've got a gunslinging Captain rolling with the "Meltacide" to take advantage of his BS 5. Alternatively, I could use a Priest (so swapping out the higher BS for better durability) and giving me points to spend elsewhere (Scout Sergeant combi-gravs for example), but I think I might roll with this. I also wish to try out Malefic again given that I didn't have a chance to last time (I'll also be rolling all on Malefic - learned my lesson there!).

Other than that it plays like before but with a few more options for getting Objectives. Obviously this list has hard counters but I feel I am getting closer to an optimal list... Thoughts?

Looks solid. Walls of quick and punishing AV is what we do best and the FTSF requirements means we only need a scout squad and meltacide (~200pts?) to get another force org chart.

lack of any kind of obj-sec may hurt you though, maybe try and get a CAD in there instead for some hold-age.

If the enemies only anti AV is tied up in their AV then this should prove deadly!

Also the redeemer is awesome. What is riding in it? The Tac squad and Techy?