JJD's Dark Angels

JJD

Hello all. I am new to the site as you can see by my post count. I am also fairly new to the hobby. I have been painting for just under 2 years and have only played a couple of small games. My wife bought me the 5 ultramines starter painting kit for Xmas to help me find a new hobby to crack my warcraft addiction. Little did she know what she had started. Having had a go at a few ultramarines I got hold of DV. I thought I would share my progress. I am very much still learning and settling into my style. You'll notice various attempts at robes and power swords.

These are my first attempts from the DV box

gallery_74577_9223_939913.jpg

gallery_74577_9223_1332793.jpg

gallery_74577_9223_315833.jpg

ICs With something a bit bigger

gallery_74577_9223_1827468.jpg

Edited by JJD

I'm impressed, especially with the Deathwing Terminators it can be hard to make them not look like either Apocrathary Termies or Christmaswing, so great job with that.

I like the highlighting on the Tacticals, it's enough to be noticeable at a distance but not overblown.

Finally I think you did a good job with the flesh, that's always the thing that messes me up the most, I can just never seem to paint flesh without having it be super thick or so thin I have to paint on 12 coats, which of course leads it to being overly thick. Overall a great job.

Holy poopsicles batman just a few squads in and your models look this good? life really isnt fair sometimes... In all seriousness great look models brother! The Deathwing are exceptional. Keep up the good work, and dont forget to take a group shot of all your work once you have an army's worth of models.

• 5 weeks later...
I don't know how much time I will get for painting but I still have my 2nd set of deathwing and ravenwing from DV along side the left overs from my DWK and a RW upgrade spruce so I'm going to search for inspiration. Edited by JJD

Great job! Finally getting back to painting my DA. I love your highlighting, thats been my biggest stumbling block (highlighting power armour). Going to do some this week and conquer that fear.

JJD, that is some serious talent there. Extremely crisp work. I have two comments for improvements.

1. Drill out the stormbolters of the Deathwing squad

2. Your troops need a transport so please give them an APC or a tank and enter the tank in to the Currus Belli contest!!:whistling:

SG

• 2 months later...
My painting has come to something of a crashing halt since my little girl was born but I finally have 2 more Ravenwing finished to add to the squad. Im quite happy with the conversions considering my very limited bits box. Im not really as happy with the black armour highlights as I am with the bone white but Im still learning. I have a final Ravenwing squad member to convert along with a command squad and Land Raider Crusader but at the current rate 7th will be out before I get them finished. gallery_74577_9223_727285.jpg Edited by JJD

Firstly congratulations on being a Daddy, I'm impressed you've found any time to paint!

Secondly, the bikes look good. Black can be a surprisingly hard colour to highlight well. I try to use a very dark grey thinned suitably for the first highlight and then a mid-grey for the starkest highlight. The trick with the second highlight is to thin it again so that there is enough pigment to lighten the existing highlight, but not so much that it forms a strong grey line.

Another thing I've found with the darker colour (first highlight) is to pick one which either has an element of brown or blue in it, depending upon the colour you're looking for. That actually provides a bit of depth to the miniature, suggesting colour to the monochrome. I would still pick a neutral grey for the second highlight though.

You'll have to forgive my lack of familiarity with the new paints, but you could try Dryad Bark followed by Dawnstone (perhaps - it's hard to say when you don't have them in front of you).

The other thing to do is wash the black parts of the model with black after you've completed the highlights to darken them down a touch. The result should be a noticeable, but not garish highlight. Don't forget you can also tidy up highlight lines that are too thick with abbadon black.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Finally after months of doing a bit here a bit there I have a finished land raider. I had a bit of a disaster as I painter the sponson’s separately and as I was adding the left one it snapped on the hurricane bolter axis argh. I tried to save it but it has set ever so slightly wonky. It was literally the last step. So this image is taken from its best angle hiding its wonky side. The ramp is magnetised to see the paint job inside.

gallery_74577_9223_1051791.jpg

Edited by JJD

Didn't realise how out of focus that picture is. I will have to take another when I get chance. Next is a command squad with banner. Let's see how long I take this time