Tutorial - Capes made from tissue

Think this would work for clothing, like a skirt, dress...

http://www.fangoria.com/new/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/CLOTHEXCTRAILERARTNEWS.jpg

Doin this for a Daemonhost and I really dont wanna sculpt the clothing drooping between her legs

I think it can replicate cloth in most situations. Be prepared to take some time with it and above all else, be gentle when handling the wet tissue. If it doesn't come out the way you want, or sometimes it can change after drying, just get the tissue wet again and repose it.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been looking for something that is better able to show the underlying detail of the armor then greenstuff/milliput for tabards and this worked perfectly. So I started off with an old ebay rescue that I've had laying around for a while (I didn't want to experiment on a new model :laugh.:). 

1723004_964119973617983_2750171208473312

Here you can see the front half of the tabard and it's showing off the chest detail still.

10405635_964119970284650_719578269832912

A shot from the side showing the back half, billowing a little.

1779143_964119976951316_2956484300102525

One more shot of the back showing the full piece. 

1385549_964119966951317_5536114001562110

And the final product with a cinch belt to tie it all together. All in all I'm pretty happy with how it turned out and it's much easier then working with the putty. It'll probably be a hot minute before I can finish this with some paint (not to mention a head and some arms!), but I'll try and update this when I finish it. Thanks for the inspiration here!

• 2 weeks later...

Seems like a tabard would be a bit finicky, I should think. But, hey, if you can get it to work it's pretty cool! 

http://i.imgur.com/fKhPPhO.gif

http://i.imgur.com/0cWdEcO.png

• 1 month later...

Well it's been a minute or two, but as promised I have some painted pics. It's not nearly as nice looking as Kage's, but on future models I can only imagine I will improve! 

Note that he's also pictured with a couple Initiates that are participating in the Crusade of Wrath, please ignore them for this purpose! :P

10942751_993543330675647_298519672346484

10405646_993543297342317_447866301962707

10933709_993543137342333_761784841153843

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Ugh, I never used your tut, but I meant to. I have an idea in mind for a project, but will wait to show once I get my stuff in. Btw BCK, what size balls did you use to make those studs in your armor?

I usually use Tichy Trains rivets, though they can be a bit finicky.

I'll have to make sure to post my Saul Tarvitz in here when I'm done, trying a different fabric.

• 1 month later...

Awesome! What do you think of the result?

I also have a new figure to post for this. I forgot to snap any pics before it got painted, but I was in a rush for the deadline of March of  Legions. Here's my take on the Exodus sniper from the XX Legion with a tissue cameleoline cloak.

http://i.imgur.com/XwXHoEl.png

I did something a little different on this one, using some heavy duty paper towel for the first layer of the cloak on his back and sides so that the outer layer of tissue would 'hang' properly. Once the paper towel was dry, I carefully laid the tissue over it, wet it down and fixed any shape issues, then brushed on the glue. :smile.:

Not to sound like a boot lick but this is one of the most inspiring minis I have seen in a long time, it breaths grime like this marine has become one with his surroundings, and the pose gives on the "well my target is miles away behind thousands of troops, this is going to suck but lets get it done" look.

Truly epic my brother!

• 2 years later...

Adding some more pics in here, first up with my Terran Unification Era scout from the VIII Legion. Using a more advanced technique here, you can see in the first picture how I did a first layer in thicker paper towel and it helped me more easily get the shape I wanted from the cloak with the thicker material. Once it was dried and sealed, I used normal tissue on top of it. 

Em83lkI.png

Sy113Jv.png

http://i.imgur.com/jjxaD0D.png

http://i.imgur.com/KY5yM9G.png

http://i.imgur.com/Ss7ZH1Q.png

A figure based on an Inquisitor game art piece. 

EX2yQRI.png

• 4 months later...

excellent tutorial!

I ws looking for something just like this. but I have a question: how do you seal the thicker paper in order to put the thinner paper ontop?

I never saw the notification that there was a new reply so I apologize for missing this when it was first posted. To seal any of this stuff I've always used a rattle can spray paint. 

I too have a question - has anyone tried this method for shemaghs/headscarves?

I did a hood on the figure a few posts up so I'm sure a shemagh or other type of head wrap would be possible. 

I'm astonished.  Not because this is a new idea to me, but because I had forgotten about it.  Back in the days before 40K came out, when I built armor models, we used to use this technique for tarpaulins or any other cloth item one might see.  It was great because it lays naturally on the model and is pretty easy to work with.

Surprisingly, I never thought to use the technique on miniatures!  And a couple of years ago I was looking to add camo cloaks to some models and this never occurred to me.  Thank you for this tutorial and for refreshing my memory.

excellent tutorial!

I ws looking for something just like this. but I have a question: how do you seal the thicker paper in order to put the thinner paper ontop?

I never saw the notification that there was a new reply so I apologize for missing this when it was first posted. To seal any of this stuff I've always used a rattle can spray paint. 

I too have a question - has anyone tried this method for shemaghs/headscarves?

I did a hood on the figure a few posts up so I'm sure a shemagh or other type of head wrap would be possible. 

Thanks :) The hood is definitely getting copied I'm afraid - I tried doing that model from the book with greenstuff and it went awfully! How did you ease out the fluttering bit if you don't mind my asking? Was that the end without the crease?

The hood and the fluttery bit are separate pieces. Once part of it was securely glued to his chest, I soaked the rest and got it into the position I wanted. The tissue firms up relatively quickly so I didn't have to hold the bits out too long. 

• 6 months later...