Forté's Slaanesh minis. Inc. Divine Flayers.

Forté

Hello to those of a more, shall we call it, individual disposition?

I've begun work on my 40k Emperors Children warband 'The Divine Flayers' and thought it may be an idea to post stuff here too so I can get the views from those who avoid the WIP area.

So here's how things stand and also the minis that got me going on this properly after mulling it over for a few years.

+++Horus Heresy Kakophoni+++

med_gallery_29004_9016_387603.jpg

med_gallery_29004_9016_576417.jpg

What can I say...I love these. I've even passed on the GW sonic weapons that I was going to use originally as I don't feel they do the weapons justice.

Now onto what I'm working on. I've been bouncing lists around a bit and originally it was a 'nice things to paint but gameable' army. Now it's become a ":cuss it, I never really play so what looks sexy and makes me want to paint it. Oh, and I'll keep it rules legal too because you never know". So here's how the list currently stands.

gallery_29004_6198_200483.png

+++ HQ +++

• Chaos Lord (160)

• MoS, LC & PF, SoC, JP

+++ Troops +++

• Noise Marines x6 (142)

• Blastmaster
  • Chaos Cultists x18 (87)

• Flamer

+++ Fast +++

• Raptors x6 (169)

• MoS, 2x Meltagun
  • Champion: LC, CM
  • Spawn x2 (66)

• MoS

+++ Allies HQ +++

• Daemon Prince (245)

• MoS, WFA, 1x Greater, 1x Lesser, Flight

+++ Allies Troops +++

• Daemonettes x12 (133)

• Alluress: 1x Greater

Total: 1002 points

++++++++++++

That's just a starter. I also plan a Keeper of Secrets (Creature Caster Pincer Daemon when released), Forge/ Maulerfiend, more Noise Marines, Vindicator and maybe a flying barbecue chicken.

So far this is where I've got too

med_gallery_29004_2673_76496.jpg

Raptors

gallery_29004_2673_6883.jpgmed_gallery_29004_2673_30653.jpg

Beginnings of the Lord

Cultists will be from Empire Flagellants and DE Witch Elves. The Spawn however will be kitbashes. But I plan to personalise everything.

So thanks for stopping by. Sorry there was no cake. C&C very welcome and see you soon thanks.gifthumbsup.gif

gallery_29004_2673_6883.jpg

*bangs head on desk* Why didn't I think of this!? You make it look so damned simple! Argh!

Seriously great work, I love seeing these little greenstuff details executed so well. :)

Od.

OOOH! Another place to drool over Forte's lovely models drool.gif

Nice forte. You need bikes though. Bikes converted into glorious choppers.

They're in mind. Though I don't like the chopper look personally.

Crotch-rockets*, kind of Dark eldar/racing style I think would be the slaanesh version. Bikes that can go to the extreme, not some lazy chopper.

* slang pun fully intended

Pffftttttt. Choppers are far from lazy. I dare you to go find a 1%er and tell him his bike design is lazy. Let me know before you do though, so I can take an insurance policy out on you. msn-wink.gif

Not sure Forte will see many biker gangs in grimey London. Yardies, Mafia, Triads, and various 'Firms' on the other hand. whistlingW.gif

I like where this thread is going. If you haven't already do grab a box of fantasy Hellstriders aka Slaanesh bits box.

The Raptors look very good so far.

I've picked up a few bits from that kit. Really nice parts too.

As for biker gangs in London. I've seen and met a fair few Hells Angels and been around bikes since I was young. Just not really able to see how a chopper would cope on alien terrain and battlefields. I actually prefer the look of the marine scout bikes.

Many thanks for all the comments so far. Hopefully I'll have a good update soon. When I get an evening when the young kids haven't worn me out all day that is. Got to stop looking at the Forgefiend too before I get distracted ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Forte, I stumbled across these models yesterday, and though that they'd actually make nice cultists. Just an idea.

Thank you forbthe link. Like the concept they have. Look a bit static and the skulls put me off. Does give food for thought though. Partly the reason why I'll likely use the Empire Flagellants kit is the bare flesh, flails, and robes. Plus some of the heads have things covering their vision which can be justified easily.

I'm trying to listen to Angel Exterminatus while I paint. Had a great description of the hord which would likely accompany the EC. And their behaviour. Also the descriptions of the marines is what has made me think my Raptors have been too uniform so far so I'll be getting more variation into them with the trim.

I would not worry too much about being uniformed. Perhaps there was a Champion who was quite the quite the trendsetter and his followers emulate him. Either way you go I can't wait to see more work on the raptors!

Also, I must state that Angel Exterminatus was pure joy for me. I got to read about the early days of notable Iron Warriors I remembered from earlier books. Plus, I got to glimpse more upon the III Legion's ascension/descent (depending on one's viewpoint) which is what got me hooked starting with the novel Fulgrim. Also, it was fun to read a warhammer book where a game of warhammer was played within.

After reading the portrayals of the EC in that book I really want mine to look like a horde of dancing, frolicking marines looking for prey to tear apart before they resort to fratricide due to boredom. I really hope CSM Running legs are in the works for new plastics *keeping fingers crossed* so I do not have to resort to using Loyalist bits for non-crouch poses.

Cheers hushrong. Look forward to getting further into the story. Its my current painting audio. Think the current poor weather in the UK has hit my energy and motivation levels but you lot on here help so fingers crossed the brushes will be making marks very soon.

• 2 weeks later...

Realised that I've not updated this thread in a while. Not a great load has happened on the Raptors. Had a bit of a painters block after the headache of blacking out all the trim. Managed to work on a couple last night with two different colours on each. More of a 'what the hell' than anything else. Think they could with another highlight. All the others I'll be doing GW darkest shade to lightest like I should have anyway.

med_gallery_29004_2673_978518.jpg

med_gallery_29004_2673_165243.jpg

The bit I'm most pleased with though is how the claw is coming out.

med_gallery_29004_2673_337304.jpg

As always, thoughts, feedback , and ideas are always welcome.

Gorgeous! I am stealing that idea for the flayed head; such beauteous mutilation shall fit in with my Severed Angels most aptly.

Got a flayed torso planned too ;)

Now, I know I keep saying "I'll get the stuff I'm working on done before I start anything else." but I had a bit of time. Not enough to paint but enough to start a little something.

So here's the start of my Noise Marine Blastmaster.

med_gallery_29004_2673_24338.jpg

Very work in progress as I need to fill in the new barrel part with plasticard and green stuff. Not forgetting making the grill which will be stamped gs.

Not even made a start on the head but my inspiration is the FW Kakophoni (surprise, surprise) so will be a challenge for me.

Any thoughts or idea please say as it's only about half way so plenty of time to tinker.

Cheers for looking :tu:

I've done a little more on the weapon. Plenty more to do though.

med_gallery_29004_2673_637342.jpg

This is how I often start off if I'm doing thin details. It's how I started the flayed skin before. Bit of Kneadatite between parchment paper (same stuff I use in the wet pallet) and roll it out. With this though I was aiming on creating a grill effect for the BM by rolling the grip part of my drill vice across it. Worked well but I should have let it fully cure before using it.

med_gallery_29004_2673_20977.jpg

Still have to work on the sides of the barrel and I'm going to fill in the plasma cannon grooves and add some trim which I tried on the pad here.

med_gallery_29004_2673_15212.jpg

It's a bit rough but I'll be taking a file to it once it's fully hardened.

Still not decided on which head to butcher but I may start on that tonight. And a flayed face/head on the backpack. Or I may paint. We'll see.

Once again. Thank you for the encouragement and I'm open to ideas and pointers :tu:

Realised that I've not updated this thread in a while. Not a great load has happened on the Raptors. Had a bit of a painters block after the headache of blacking out all the trim. Managed to work on a couple last night with two different colours on each. More of a 'what the hell' than anything else. Think they could with another highlight. All the others I'll be doing GW darkest shade to lightest like I should have anyway.

med_gallery_29004_2673_978518.jpg

med_gallery_29004_2673_165243.jpg

The bit I'm most pleased with though is how the claw is coming out.

med_gallery_29004_2673_337304.jpg

As always, thoughts, feedback , and ideas are always welcome.

I painted all my models in batches of minimum 10 and sometimes up to 25 at a time.

I based, layerd then did all the trim of 10 Raptors and 10 Chosen in a batch over one whole weekend - Fri, Sat, Sun. Almost went crazy and blind lol.

After that, I had to take a whole other week off without painting.

Hang in there man. I kept telling myself, no matter how much or how little I painted - it was all forward progress.

Can't wait to see your finished work.

Like your Sonics.

@Kilofix. Batch painting does my head in these days. Can do it if I really have to but I never like the end result. Cheers for the encouragement. These will be finished before I start painting anything else.

I always forget to put my updates here too and not just in the WIP area.

+++ update +++

Managed some more time (think the Raptors may be feeling a little neglected) while the nipper ad his nap. So here it is.

med_gallery_29004_2673_50417.jpgmed_gallery_29004_2673_50682.jpg

I had some of the bit that I had stamped left over which was fully cured so I popped off the two head parts. Glued on the textured GS and cut it to fit. Heads back into place and build up the sides with a little texture too. Those bits, and the gap filling, need a bit of smoothing when ready so I can add a bit of trim with plasticard.

med_gallery_29004_2673_43.jpg

Bit of work on the face. Needs a few more added and maybe a bit of tubing before adding the flesh round the edges.

And finally...

Flayed Skin mini tutorial

Here's the way I create my Flayed Flesh on my minis.

Useful tools:

med_gallery_29004_2673_301241.jpg

Mixture of sculpting tools, knives and a mechanical pencil without lead for stamping rivets.

Step 1: Mix your kneadatite (green stuff) properly

Step 2: Roll your putty out between a folded bit of parchment or greaseproof paper. I use a kitchen rolling pin for this.

med_gallery_29004_2673_64945.jpg

This piece has been cut to a rough size. I usually leave it a bit longer to cure a bit more but I wanted to finish before the kid woke.

Step 3: Position your piece in place. I then pressed my pencil where I wanted the rivets.

med_gallery_29004_2673_16946.jpg

Step 4: Use a tool or toothpick to press in stretch marks by the rivets.

med_gallery_29004_2673_38638.jpgmed_gallery_29004_2673_8226.jpg

Step 5: Use a tool to make holes where the eyes, nostrils, and mouth would have been (or other holes like belly button). After this I also roughed the edge up to give it a more torn look and pressed it down a bit around underlying details.

med_gallery_29004_2673_172019.jpgmed_gallery_29004_2673_77387.jpgmed_gallery_29004_2673_17962.jpg

Last step: I used a pin to hook under where the nose would be, through a nostril. Gave it a little lift and stretch.

med_gallery_29004_2673_26297.jpg

This one does need a little clean up but it needs to cure more before I do that so the detail stays where it should.

This is the head from a Marine too which is why there's the three extra studs. So when I paint that I'll be trying to do some stubble too on the top and back of the head.

Hope that helps and please feel free to leave feedback, comments, ideas, gift voucher details for an Imperial Knight kit maybe?

Archived