Loki here back again for another crack at this hobby.
Long story short - stopped playing in 2nd Edition, used to play Eldar. Before I stopped I bought a few marine bits with thoughts of making a Dark Angel army. Roll forward 17 or so years and we are in 6th Ed and I've decided to come back to the hobby.
I joined the B&C back in 2010, did some work on my DA for the 2012 ETL (see sig) and then got distracted and wandered off into the wilds again.
I've since decided to procrastinate a whole lot less and actually get myself going in this hobby again.
I've sold the Eldar and put some funds into Dark Vengance, a DW knights squad, some ebay terminators and the like...
So here's what I'm working on right now:
First up the meat, a few troop choices:
Tactical squad 1 - these guys were painted up for the ETL. Now they are getting based and a few last details touched up that were missed back then.
First time trying 'fancy' basing, back in 2nd it was Goblin Green painted sand and be done with it
Tactical squad 2 - These guys were painted back before I stopped playing.... Only now are they getting based and finished, backpacks weren't highlighted lots of details missing.
Ok so onto the more interesting stuff...
Belial. So I'm not keen on the GW Belial model, the pose is very much 'hey look, I got a sword and a storm bolter for christmas!".
Luckily I found an ebay auction for a lot of 3 un-opened scibor miniatures for less than £30, quite a bargain.
I quite liked the models and thought they had DA potential. On receiving them I wasn't disappointed and chose one model to serve as my Belial replacement.
And here he is as stands currently - slowly removing the more "templar'y" bits and obviously a few weapon swaps to bring in the DA aesthetic more.
I'm going to be casting a Crux or a DA/DW symbol to replace the large dangling templar symbol, some significant controlled scraping will be required there.
Sword of Silence made from the DW command squad sword blade and a banner pole topper as the hilt.
He's pretty imposing on the scenic base, but I'll have to make a regular height one for using during games and magnetise the heck out of it.
Still not sure if I can make casts of the shoulder pads and actually model all 3 of Belials weapon combos.
Exo Terminator. So talking of casting - I'm in possession of two old school EXO armoured terminators from the late 80's / early 90's. They were some of the first miniatures I received for 40k (I started with Fantasy) and tbh I love them. I thought it would be cool to have a squad of them in my DW, but people want silly money for them on Ebay. So I picked up some Liquid Blu stuff and some 2-part Epoxy Glue and had a go at making some 2 part moulds and casts. I wasn't expecting much but have been pleasantly surprised with the results:
Top left to bottom right being my casts in order from first to last (excuse the random beat up terminator legs - you'll see about those shortly).
As I said above these are cast using essentially glue, not fancy easy flow resin. In fact the clearish amber one was cast using pound/dollar store epoxy glue.
My best cast so far:
I'm sure anyone with a background in casting will probably snort with derision, but I'm pretty happy considering it's my first time and the materials were less than ideal... It has however inspired me to buy some proper RTV Silicon and Casting Resin come the following pay day. I have to admit to it being quite a magical experience seeing a fresh model pop out of the mould!
And I might need some casting to replicate this:
This is my attempt to 'heroscale' the old EXO terminator to better fit the new size terminators. My first attempts at converting really and my first ever time with greenstuff. I've today received a set of sculpting tools so hoping to continue working on this a bit more now.
Ok so last up for now...
So here is my other side project. Born more out of a "I wonder if I have the ability to..." than a desire to separate GW from my wallet, although I have to admit the savings from scratchbuilding are pretty massive compared to buying these things new.
I want 4 land raiders total, 2 crusaders for my DW and two in heavy support for my greenwing.
Having seen some of the awesome scratchbuilds in this forum I kinda had to have a go. For now it's mount board and superglue rather than styrene and polycement but its proving a good learning experience.
I'm using Eli Patoroch's papercraft patterns and trying to adapt them for thicker board.
I've bought a couple of landraider accessories from ebay and these will be moulded and cast across the 4 raiders.
So far this single raider will have cost about £8.00 in bitz and £4 in card. The second, third and fourth one will cost £4 in card and maybe a couple of quid in casting resin to duplicate the 'bitz'. A nice saving.
Ok I think that's it for now guys. Well apart from the 35 DW termies, 9 bikes, another tactical squad, etc, etc lol
Thanks for now, will report back soon. So long brothers.
Edited by LokisSword, 14 June 2016 - 12:31 AM.