This is a really cool idea, I don't know if I could (or even should, to be honest) submit something, given my lack of ability :p. I make three admissions though, I'm not very good at sci-fi/40k style, nor am I good at following the rules of syntax and grammar, nor can I guarantee that a dreadnought won't be surfing a Storm Eagle on the way to a dynamic entry. Most of my 40k reading has consisted of crossover fanfiction (specifically Shinji and Warhammer40k by Charles Bhepin), the Legion of the Damned book, the Deathwatch book, and a few HH novels, plus the usual crunch stuff. Mostly, I just like these community wide ideas that could capitalize on all our differing strengths and abilities. If I can, I'll attempt to submit something involving my DIY to the Fanthology, if not I'm sure we'll find some other place I can help out.

Would there be a specific way to tag a submission?

Maybe just start looking through the Fan-Fiction subforum for good reads, or try to find ones you remember, and post the links to the threads here, or in the new thread if one is made, for those people interested in helping the project move along.

Then the group can go through and discuss if they should have a place in the fanthology (+1 for this bring the 'official' name of the project/product) or not. Whoever is in charge, likely the Mods, will use our discussion to make the decision.

But that is if we use material already posted. My only issue in basing it off of new material specifically written for the fanthology is that it will add extra time and will run the risk of the project waiting for a certain piece to be finished, only to find that the majority doesn't think it a good fit.

Not that we'll be overly harsh critics or anything, just that there will have to be some sort of standard set with which we determine pieces that will fill a finite number of pages. Majority's vote within a set timeframe works for me.

Yes... As I am new to the BnC(late 2013-early 2014) I have nothing completed that I could post. If we wanted to make the first Fanthology consist of existing BnC works I would not have a problem with that as I could imagine there would be subsequent releases. I have read many of the fanfic posts already and would have no trouble finding some that I think would be worthy. If we did have specific date for submissions I could maybe speed up the completion of one of mine. I have only decided to be brave enough to try and create my own 40k fiction since I have been a member. The many excellent posts have given me courage and inspiration. smile.png

Yeah, it's no fair to the people who have just joined the board or never submitted something before. We should set a date that ALL submissions must be in by and select from before then. Stories already published should still get considered, but the new guys (and people like me whose skills have improved since they last posted a story) should get a shot at the fanthology. 

My apologies, folk. I did not mean that there should be no submissions unless they have already been posted and are available in the subforum.

Just that we should not make it the sole aim or theme of the fanthology, that of new writing. By that train of thought, nor should it be the sole aim or theme if the fanthology to be older writings. I think it should be the writings that best reflect the talent of the Bolter and Chainsword. To that end, it ultimately matters not when it was written, so long as those who are making the final decisions believe that they meet that standard.

As such, I am in full agreement with the latest posts about a deadline and an acceptance of submissions that were written within that timeframe.

That said, I wouldn't call it unfair. Being honestly late to the party is just how life can be sometimes. But as Sanguine Knight mentioned, there may always be future projects that they can join in.

I agree with Comac on including anything covered by this site, and a specific word limit may help 1000 Heathens in his attempt to submit an ongoing story line. The quality and quantity of work put out by the members of The BnC should ensure that this project will also be ongoing. That being said, what will be the limit for entries selected? Will there be a common theme?

Word limit for short stories?

In theory a short story is between 1,500 and 30,000 words, but the RiaR competition at BL Bolthole forums stipulates no more than 1,150 words, and Heresy Online's Expeditious competion 1,100 max. For the sake of the beta readers' sanity I suggest that anything over 5,000 be shortened or serialized (Biased? Who, me?).

With spring break starting Friday I have a week's worth of reasonably free evenings, so I'll set to trawling the fanfic archives, beginning at the old end (any volunteers for the IA/IT threads?). Maybe we should aim for 3/4 old material to start, and then cut it down as new work comes in? Anything good (or in need of improvement) that doesn't make it first time can always go in later issues.

Does anyone know the whereabouts of Aurelius Rex? It would be nice if we could serialize the existing Dornian Heresy IA's, but they are his babies and I don't think it would be on to use them without permission.

Does anyone know the whereabouts of Aurelius Rex? It would be nice if we could serialize the existing Dornian Heresy IA's, but they are his babies and I don't think it would be on to use them without permission.

He has been absent for about a year now. Far as I know, nobody's been in contact with him.

Every time I see this particular subject be brought up, the general consensus is to leave it alone. He'll return and finish it, or he won't.

Word limit for short stories?

In theory a short story is between 1,500 and 30,000 words, but the RiaR competition at BL Bolthole forums stipulates no more than 1,150 words, and Heresy Online's Expeditious competion 1,100 max. For the sake of the beta readers' sanity I suggest that anything over 5,000 be shortened or serialized (Biased? Who, me?).

With spring break starting Friday I have a week's worth of reasonably free evenings, so I'll set to trawling the fanfic archives, beginning at the old end (any volunteers for the IA/IT threads?). Maybe we should aim for 3/4 old material to start, and then cut it down as new work comes in? Anything good (or in need of improvement) that doesn't make it first time can always go in later issues.

Awesome! Looking through the existing stories would be a big help. 

Micro stories could be cool as well.

EDIT: As I was typing, Cormac Alrt brought addressed the Aurelius Rex situation. 

Further to the possibility of serials, I'm leery about doing that to any work that isn't presented as finished or near as damn it i.e with extant chapter outlines and a known end. See Robert Jordan, GRRM, Frank Herbert, most of Fanfic.net, my computer's disc drive, etc. etc.

JeffTibbetts probably knows more about this sort of thing, though, so IMHO the final decision on the matter should be in his hands.

WHOA WHOA WHOA!!

Everybody slow down a little!

First off, I'm glad no one caught my "Yechpriest" mis-spelling in the first line of my first post, no less. Now I can act like I was just talking about Nurgle-leaning Dark Apostles.

Anyway, I'm blown away by the flood of positive responses this is getting. I was not expecting this, especially from the Moderati and Administratum so early on. But let's please keep in mind that this is just an idea thread and that we don't need to be rushing off and writing submissions of finding gems in the Hall of Artifice just yet. Now for some bullet points to outline some of the good ideas I've seen already shooting around the room.

-This can and should include pre-written material and material specifically crafted for submission.

-In regards to artists doing cover art and illustration, to answer Olisredan's concerns, I don't really think it could be considered gratis work in the same way short story submissions wouldn't be considered gratis: They'd be done because they wanted to contribute, or simply create because they liked the idea or were inspired by a story.

-We're calling it Fanthology.

-Back to Olisredan again, I agree that we should have three volumes to keep from having a less focused, possibly bloated giant volume. The split between Space Marines, Chaos Space Marines, and Mortals seems to be a good division, although I could see it simply being Astartes and Mortals of either stripe, or being four and having a Traitor Mortals in addition to the other three. Or perhaps a hybrid with two astartes per side and one mortal with both in it.

-To clarify, we're not asking Black Library for this to be a product, but a free download that they could carry which would only help their business. After all, if your fans love you so much that they write your advertisements for you...well...Especially since this hobby is so very much about the fluff and concept, and "forging a narrative", well, a bunch of examples of how awesome GW's player/readerbase is couldn't really go wrong, now, could it?

-As for a word limit, to keep a decent size number of stories in a book, 2,000-3,000 max seems good, with a lower limit of 500? This allows for both microshots and some lengthier material, of which a combination seems to be what everyone wants.

-A submission deadline? Well, we don't even have anything quantified or qualified yet, but my two cents says a couple of months should be fine for a short story. Three at the most.

-As for submission, I agree that the final call should be made by the Moderati, and that there should be a limited number of slots to fill for each book. Since it's an anthology, this number doesn't necessarily have to be small. Thirty wouldn't even seem that extreme, especially taking into account microshots being at least some of those.

-It's important to recognize that this project wouldn't just be for the most talented among us. We already have several offers for editing and critiquing help. However, those involved would have to declare in good faith that they would actually listen to advice and change their story accordingly. This is why I added two months to my suggested submission timeline, because some of us would need serious help (and I count myself as possibly being one of that number) getting our stories down.

-Back to the art again. Since I really like the idea of people doing illustrations for scenes or characters they really are inspired by in the stories, I think that after all the stories are approved, there should be a separate submission period for artists to apply for, say, ten to fifteen illustrations (including cover art) per book. Naturally, they'd have to talk to their subject material's creator throughout.

I'd be keen to get in on this, as a budding wannabe author and all it'd be nice to take a break from writing stories in my own world for a change.

I'd also be happy to proof read anyone else's work if needed. Might even stop me lurking and get me posting :D

I'd be keen to get in on this, as a budding wannabe author and all it'd be nice to take a break from writing stories in my own world for a change.

I'd also be happy to proof read anyone else's work if needed. Might even stop me lurking and get me posting :D

I'll take you up on that ;)

Sounds like a very cool project! I've not really got anything current on the go to include at the mo, but I'm happy to help with proof reading, etc.

Would be nice to have some stories gathered in one place, I miss the Librarium!

Archived