Sanctioned Fratricide - Minotaurs

Made a test model for a Minotaur force a few days ago and after tweaking around with the recipe a bit I finally got what I was aiming for.

The Marine on the left is the test model while the one in the middle is what I'm aiming for with the new recipe.

gallery_14033_9600_51134.jpg

Big props to DaemonPrinceDargor and Lorenzen for the original recipe and inspiration.

Not that much progress to report, got a few more painted up but I'm kind of stuck at what kind of red to use.

The artwork seems to use a brownish red but I'm hinking a more vibrant yet darkly shaded red might stand out more.

Any thoughts or recipes you guys have tried?

Might make some experiments tomorrow.

gallery_14033_9600_292988.jpg

Looking really good, nice and clean (unlike mine), love the title as well. What sort of force are you going for? Vehicle heavy? Shock Troops?

I've got at least 5000 points of Space Marines with a healthy mix of tanks, infantry, Drop Pods and Rhinos so I think I'm just aiming for a balanced force.

I doubt it'll be very competitive though, I'll just paint up what I like the look of and fits my view of the Minotaurs.

Thanks for the replies everyone! :smile.:

Looking good so far.

The red i went for is vallejo burnt cadmium red which is that sortve browny dark red.. if you want a dark yet vibrant red id look at working with some inks to get the saturation of colour needed.

Mostly been stripping my old models and assembled some new ones but I have gotten some painting done.

Got a bit further on my first squad, added a Sergeant and decided on going with a wine colored red since it stood out a bit more from the brass.

Sorry about the bad photo, the colours seem a bit off in this one, the red looks darker and less orange IRL.

Will post better photos once I finish these guys.

gallery_14033_9600_346088.jpg

Thanks, I was quite worried I wouldn't be able to keep it uniform as that's been the downfall of many of my earlier colourschemes.

Might add some red on the regular guys too but I'll wait and see funtil I've given them all red Boltguns, that might be enough colour to tie them together.

• 2 weeks later...

Posting mostly to show I' not dead. :tongue.:

Haven't gotten a lot more work done, painted up some more details and added bolters.

Managed to get a hold of Hamath Kraatos through my friend Uvenla on here and started painting him.

Would love to get a whole Mk4 Heavy Bolter Devastator Squad for him.

gallery_14033_9600_218576.jpg

Hate them and their background. Love the models and your paintwork. Loving the heavy bolter guy.

Thank you.

I can definitely understand hating them, brutal guys with a questionable past and methods.

Did you add the brass etch greek keystone pattern to Kraatos' backpack?

Yeah.

That's where the backpack connects to the sprue with 3 thick rods.

In the end I just thought screw it and covered it up, quite happy with the result.

AWESOME WORK!!!!! I absolutely love your bronze! Hamath Kraatos looks awesome! I want that model so bad and a heavy bolter devestator squad is perfect for him! Can't wait to see your progress! If you haven't looked at my album please do! Also check out https://www.facebook.com/Minotaurs40k for everyone else who plays Minotaurs! 

Great looking Minotaurs!!

That Kraatos looks brillian :)

The only thing I would suggest would be to break up bronze a little. I'd use a more traditional steel colour on parts of the power packs just for a bit of variety.

Keep up the excellent work :thumbsup:

AWESOME WORK!!!!! I absolutely love your bronze! Hamath Kraatos looks awesome! I want that model so bad and a heavy bolter devestator squad is perfect for him! Can't wait to see your progress! If you haven't looked at my album please do! Also check out https://www.facebook.com/Minotaurs40k for everyone else who plays Minotaurs! 

Your minotaurs look so awesome! :wub:

That dark feel you've achieved fits the Minotaur's character so well.

While I'm aiming for a brighter desert-combat style for mine (i.e blatantly copying Lorenzen :P) I'll be sure to take some inspirations from your models.

Great looking Minotaurs!!

That Kraatos looks brillian :smile.:

The only thing I would suggest would be to break up bronze a little. I'd use a more traditional steel colour on parts of the power packs just for a bit of variety.

Keep up the excellent work :thumbsup:

I'm trying to keep them as much bronze as possible with only the fiddly mechanical bits such as weapons and vents being steel coloured.

While I love how the steel parts look on Lorenzen's Minotaurs I kind of want to keep mine bronze like in the artwork.

Might try some more verdigris and shading to make them more interesting though.

Thanks for the critique! :happy.:

I'll just toss in that the brass etch pattern is a great touch and really helps pop the model into hero territory. It's tough when his silhouette is so vanilla but that really works. 

Also, I personally like the OTT brass-everywhere look. The red works very well with it, and I don't think too much weathering or verdigris will look right. I think they look like they take very good care of their wargear, and it represents their pride well. Some verdigris might look okay, but be careful with it. 

Breaking up the bronze with red knee pads and purity seals goes a long way. The FW shoulder pads are great and Stavros and I elected to use them on all the models.

Anvil Industries is a great way to personalize sergeants with cloaks and crested helms.

If you are going to use Ivanus Enkomi don't be afraid to use black as the base color and bronze as a highlight. We did this for a command squad and an assault squad and it turned out great and breaks up the bronze horde :)

You're off to an amazing start and it's always great to see more Minotaurs armies!

• 1 month later...
I love the test model, but the refined version of the bronze is very nice. I love the shade of red you've used, as it stands out in just the right way! :thumbsup:

Archived