Fanthology -- Lots of work yet to do.

JeffTibbetts

Okay, I've paired up Ludo and Andurin. Thanks, Vult! 

Just so we're all appraised of the sitch, I've not heard anything from Master Killam and Sanguine_Knight about their drafts (which are ostensibly ready but I'd like to hear from them before proceeding), and I'm still waiting on drafts from eXetus, Quozzo and Son of Barbarus. 

Everyone else should be squared away. I've already received feedback from many of you. Thanks for the hard work, guys. Let's keep it going! 

The story assigned to me for review was MUCH longer that the max limit. Overall it was a VERY interesting read, but it needs to be cut down considerably before it complies with the 3k limit. As such I'm not sure how much I can contribute with until a revised (shortened) version is available.

Okay, I've paired up Ludo and Andurin. Thanks, Vult! 

Just so we're all appraised of the sitch, I've not heard anything from Master Killam and Sanguine_Knight about their drafts (which are ostensibly ready but I'd like to hear from them before proceeding), and I'm still waiting on drafts from eXetus, Quozzo and Son of Barbarus. 

Everyone else should be squared away. I've already received feedback from many of you. Thanks for the hard work, guys. Let's keep it going! 

Not a problem brother :)

The story assigned to me for review was MUCH longer that the max limit. Overall it was a VERY interesting read, but it needs to be cut down considerably before it complies with the 3k limit. As such I'm not sure how much I can contribute with until a revised (shortened) version is available.

That's probably mine.  I submitted it in one piece before I realized the limit but told the Powers That Be that it could easily be cut down.  I never had any confirmation that it needed to be trimmed, so I never resubmitted the shorter version.  I'll PM you and let you know where to stop.

That's probably mine.  I submitted it in one piece before I realized the limit but told the Powers That Be that it could easily be cut down.  I never had any confirmation that it needed to be trimmed, so I never resubmitted the shorter version.  I'll PM you and let you know where to stop.

I got your PM. I'll look at it tomorrow; I'm sure we can work out something damnably clever!

Haha. Well, to be honest I'd vote against just chopping the draft at a certain point. What I'd rather see are some suggestions on individual areas that can be pared down, compressed, or eliminated if they're not serving the story. Right? Better to make smart edits throughout than just find a 'plot' stopping point and cut it off. 

I guess Green Knight and I have our work cut out for us.

I've PMed you. My suggestion is to cut the story, but not at the point you suggested yourself. Not sure we can turn about 6k words inot 3k, but if we aim of 4k I think that's possible. I've spotted some things I think can be cut or compressed.

I've gotten some feedback so far, but only from MasterHQ. Are their more responses coming or should I just start editing now? 

I'm pretty sure I've got your peer's comments in already. Give me some time to look them over and then we'll see about getting everyone in touch. :D 

Still waiting on quite a lot of peer feedback, and I also have a couple of people with whom I haven't been able to communicate at all. I've gotten some good peer feedback already, but only about half of it. That's not exactly ideal. 

If you still need to get me a draft or read someone's work and leave comments, please do so as soon as you can. I know we're all busy IRL, but I'd like to get this round going to spur excitement. Most writers, after receiving feedback, will be reinvigorated to keep working on the story. 

If there are any concerns, please PM or email me directly. We may need to make some adjustments but I'm more than willing to work things out if the peer editing cycle doesn't work well for whatever reason. 

Still waiting on quite a lot of peer feedback, and I also have a couple of people with whom I haven't been able to communicate at all. I've gotten some good peer feedback already, but only about half of it. That's not exactly ideal. 

If you still need to get me a draft or read someone's work and leave comments, please do so as soon as you can. I know we're all busy IRL, but I'd like to get this round going to spur excitement. Most writers, after receiving feedback, will be reinvigorated to keep working on the story. 

If there are any concerns, please PM or email me directly. We may need to make some adjustments but I'm more than willing to work things out if the peer editing cycle doesn't work well for whatever reason. 

Are we supposed to get any feedback? I for one haven't heard anything, but I have communicated with Commodus XIII re his piece.

I haven't seen your feedback on Comms piece yet. The idea here is that once you both get me some feedback, we'll exchange notes and try to set up some time to chat. That gives MasterHQ and I a chance to offer our input as well. Please shoot your feedback to me so I can track it.

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't seen your feedback on Comms piece yet. The idea here is that once you both get me some feedback, we'll exchange notes and try to set up some time to chat. That gives MasterHQ and I a chance to offer our input as well. Please shoot your feedback to me so I can track it.

We may have forgotten to CC you...but that has been remedied now. Comms has cut and comressed, and I've returned his doc with some of my comments. It's already an amazing short story, so if only he can cut and compress a little more it will meet the required max word count as well.

Guys, I have some bad news. Jeff, I hope my e-mail got through about this.

I just started a full time job that will finally let me get my own place. I also now have a long-distance girlfriend that I did not have when this whole thing started. Unfortunately, as my hours go through the roof and I struggle to balance my gal, my attempts to move out, apply for graduate school, and searches for more relevant and better-paying jobs, I have very little time for any of my hobbies, let alone the sidebar projects of those hobbies.

This is frankly the first time I've been able to take more than a cursory glance at the good old B&C for awhile. 

As much as I was looking forward to starting this wonderful journey with you all, I simply do not have the energy and time to manage it. My first draft was already so lacking due to the time crunch that I would have normally scrapped it and started over, but I felt I had to turn in something.

I am especially frustrated with this situation as the idea of a Fanthology was mine to begin with, and not only was I unable to man the helm when Brother Tyler and the Mods expected me to by default, but I am now not even able to participate in the first round of it. Granted, me not leading the way has only benefited us, as Jeff knows more what he's doing than I ever have. Which is why I apologize in a more personal way to both him and Ludo, because I was supposed to help Ludo with his story and now cannot, and Jeff now has an organisational issue.

Again, I regret having to throw in the towel here, but I really don't see any other options.

Guys, I have some bad news. Jeff, I hope my e-mail got through about this.

I just started a full time job that will finally let me get my own place. I also now have a long-distance girlfriend that I did not have when this whole thing started. Unfortunately, as my hours go through the roof and I struggle to balance my gal, my attempts to move out, apply for graduate school, and searches for more relevant and better-paying jobs, I have very little time for any of my hobbies, let alone the sidebar projects of those hobbies.

This is frankly the first time I've been able to take more than a cursory glance at the good old B&C for awhile. 

As much as I was looking forward to starting this wonderful journey with you all, I simply do not have the energy and time to manage it. My first draft was already so lacking due to the time crunch that I would have normally scrapped it and started over, but I felt I had to turn in something.

I am especially frustrated with this situation as the idea of a Fanthology was mine to begin with, and not only was I unable to man the helm when Brother Tyler and the Mods expected me to by default, but I am now not even able to participate in the first round of it. Granted, me not leading the way has only benefited us, as Jeff knows more what he's doing than I ever have. Which is why I apologize in a more personal way to both him and Ludo, because I was supposed to help Ludo with his story and now cannot, and Jeff now has an organisational issue.

Again, I regret having to throw in the towel here, but I really don't see any other options.

I did receive your email. Thank you very much for that. I've been pretty surprised by the amount of work involved here as well, to be honest, and I suspect a few of the other frater are in a similar situation as I've yet to hear from a couple. I think, on the next go-round, we'll have a much more realistic idea of what's involved so we can let people know what they're in for. 

Don't feel bad, brother. This is still your idea, and I'd welcome any support you feel you give the project even if you're not an author in the first one. Don't sweat it. Maybe you can find a little time to write a forward for us? :D 

If anyone else feels like they're struggling, I'd rather know about it upfront so we can address it and help out. I know MasterHQ is pretty busy as well, and frankly I'm basically waiting to hear back from some people with their feedback. It's getting ever-so-slightly frustrating, as I feel a little like I'm herding cats. That obviously does not apply to everyone, just a sort of general comment. With everyone in different time zones with day-jobs, and as Andurin pointed out, this being the side project of a hobby, I understand completely that we'd all love to spend more time doing this. 

That being said, if you still need to get something to me, MasterHQ, and by extension your partner, please try to make time to do so. We'd all appreciate moving a little bit faster and getting to the more exciting stuff. 

Archived