Escalation league;Weeks 3+4; 1250 pt. "A knight to remember"

It was curious, the entire platoon had been put on alert, and ordered to advance on the new location, and then just as quickly the order had come from Commandr Pieters to resume our duties. Hope he has a plan, because the men are getting twitchy.....

Well, my opponent for this week has had to withdraw and so I am being given the win. I also now have 500pts to spend before my next battle, as opposed to 250.

Im looking at this as a good opportunity to add a Knight to my roster. My thinking is that they are cool, they are a very strong unit at this level (and I assume until about the 1800 pts level) but ill still need to handle flyers. Did I mention that they are cool?

So, im thinking about taking the melta blast one - because the best use I can see for the knight is to advance on the enemy, blast anything AV14 and tackle a heavy unit every turn while soaking up the fire.

After a knight, id have 180 pts left - should I be looking at adding chimeras for the infantry, maybe even adding a command squad? I was contemplating a second PCS for the extra orders, any opinions? Also, i need some anti-air options, but dont really know what to get.

Ill be looking forward to getting in shape for the next battle, itll be either against an IronHands army with a Fellblade or an Ork wave army.

Thanks again for everything so far :)

• 3 weeks later...

Here is the report on the next battle, im having some problems with the native editor so it may be a little bit rough.

1250pts Vs. AM

It was always worse to fight renegade Guardsmen; the reflection of what could be is quieted only by the Commisars glare....

In a close match, the heroic Cmdr.Pieters was ordered to engage a renegade Steel Legion force who had destroyed there barracks and fortified a position just beyond the ruins. The ruins held information vital to the war effort in this sector and it had to be captured.

Deciding that it was wisest to keep my plans as simple as i could, and not being very familiar with the Imperial Knights abilities, I decided to use it to force one flank while I eliminated any advancing enemy forces and lastly advanced to take the objective.

Lack of sleep, a new espresso mix and the enthusiasm of an old man returning to the sport of his youth conspired to ensure that my deployment was terrible - I wasted space not deploying the aegis as far forward as possible or allowing a space to move my infantry forward without having to take a terrain test. Crucially I also placed my Russ beyond the safety of the aegis, a very silly mistake. This would later influence teh outcome, but I still did fairly well i feel. I cannot emphasise enough how important familiarity with the basic ruleset is, and it will be an area I focus heavily on from now on.

http://i.imgur.com/Fiau0Yg.jpg?1

First turn basically saw me rush the Knight and Taurox full of melta vets forward on the north flank while trying to ensure I could throw out as many shots as possible from teh rest of my army behind the aegis. He responded by shuffling a few units and rushing forward with his chimera mounted infantry, which I hadnt realised were actually deployed instead of just sitting there forgotten from the deployment phase. Silly mistake on my part.

http://i.imgur.com/e7zmTff.jpg?1

Realising the game would rest on the battle for the objective, I moved my vets and knight towards it - hoping my knights blast melta would force an explosion or at least decimate the infantry squads. The second part of my plan involved engaging in CC with the knight in order to use those devastating D weapon attacks.

http://i.imgur.com/kecnWGh.jpg?1

Between the shields saving most of the shots (including a Paskisher) and him landing a commando squad it was a exciting few turns. Most of the guard were slaughtered but he managed to get the objective on board one of chimeras.
This basically led to a game of chase the chimera with my Knight charging as fast as possible to destroy it and deny him securing the object.

http://i.imgur.com/BIXUT5R.jpg?1
We ended with him winning because I couldn't kill his warlord or secure the objective myself. It was a great game, very close and I learned a lot - as you will see from my next report against the Dark Eldar raiders.

Archived