3rd company elite makes kakophoni useful in ZM. They are a real threat down a corridor. It also gives your tactical marines access to sonic shriekers for combat bonuses. Combi flamers for the terminator would be good as well. Flamers are insane in ZM.

A tactical squad would be a good addition as you're a bit short on scoring units, due to the 3 dreadnoughts. I think that on paper the Kheres is probably better than the culverin on the contemptor, but volkites are definitely cooler!

Remember that you can always cut the lascannon off the other contemptor and magnetise some weapons to give you flexibility :) 

I thought combatant force organisation chart only allowed 2 troops? Am planning to try and magnetise the dread at some point, could a tactical support/veteran tactical squad/second terminator squad be a good idea? thinking possibly instead of one of the dreads or the seekers.
Also, as I have the calth heros lying around, I am wondering could a preator or champion in cataphrakti with chainfist and combi melta work? I know we are all about initative bonus, but being able to use instant death on any enemy heroes/threaten any dreads that try and cause trouble whilst leading a cattaphracti terminator squad with a phoenix spear sergeant would give a bit of an anvil for the rest of my force I'm thinking?

Edited by Rune Priest Ridcully

• 3 weeks later...

Otherwise, command squads are cool, but fall a touch flat compared to Palatine Blades. With their ability to take artificer and AP2 at high initiative, they pretty much outrank the command squad in all aspects except for not having the fearless granting banner.

What? The command squad is the single best unit in the game! Put them on bikes, give them PF, combat shield and an Apothecarion And you have a 2+\4++\5+++ against shooting, a unit ignoring alsmost every ID-Weapon like Lascannons or Melta.

In CC they have 2+\5++\5+++ against powerfists and the like.

Not to mention the Banner. You heavy support squad getting strafed by a fireraptor? No problem, go to ground in cover and wnjoy the coversave. You Command squad can zip up the field and make them stand upright once again.

A fearless bubble is great against Kakophonie, NL and every single LD-test.

The Palatine blades are the fluffier option, true.

But they have no Invul- or Coversave whats so ever. Against other 2+ heavy hitters they absolutely need the charge. And if the enemie is stubborn or fearless, the palatine blades will likely lose. Oh, and no fearless bubble ;)

Agreed. There just aren't enough bodies in command squads.

They might work on bikes or jetbikes, but I'd rather take a cheap delegatus and some normal units for the amount of points they cost.

• 2 months later...

Thouhts on terminator armoured chaplains and loadouts? I got phoenix guard legs, chest, head and shoulders which I plan to make into a chaplain. but was wondering what loadouts people thought best on them?

If your legion has any AP2 at initiative or similar: use that.

Otherwise, thunder hammer.

Thouhts on terminator armoured chaplains and loadouts? I got phoenix guard legs, chest, head and shoulders which I plan to make into a chaplain. but was wondering what loadouts people thought best on them?

I thought Chaplains had to use a power axe or maul?

Nope, when upgraded to a chaplain they get a Power Weapon to use as a Crozius but you can still swap any other weapon to whatever you want where available.

Nope, when upgraded to a chaplain they get a Power Weapon to use as a Crozius but you can still swap any other weapon to whatever you want where available.
That was pre-errata, now you're stuck with a crozius forever. And combi bolter cannot be exchanged to melee weapon.

Replaces their chainsword or combat blade (or power weapon if in Terminator armour) with a Crozius Arcanum, which is a power weapon (type as shown on model). The Crozius Arcanum is a Chaplain’s symbol of office and may not be replaced by any other weapon.

I thought combatant force organisation chart only allowed 2 troops? Am planning to try and magnetise the dread at some point, could a tactical support/veteran tactical squad/second terminator squad be a good idea? thinking possibly instead of one of the dreads or the seekers.

Also, as I have the calth heros lying around, I am wondering could a preator or champion in cataphrakti with chainfist and combi melta work? I know we are all about initative bonus, but being able to use instant death on any enemy heroes/threaten any dreads that try and cause trouble whilst leading a cattaphracti terminator squad with a phoenix spear sergeant would give a bit of an anvil for the rest of my force I'm thinking?

You will be hard-pressed to be short of troops in any FoC, save the Leviathan one. And even then few people ever take 4 troops.

Worry instead about elite slots, they're pretty scarce in Zone Mortalis.

• 1 year later...

New HH download revealed in the last day or so - SUN KILLERS as a special Heavy choice:

250pts for 5 lascannon man squad with BS5 and no cover saves to the target if the SunKillers move (weird given they have heavy weapons so will never move prior to shooting).  This is only 15pts above what a standard Heavy weapon team costs so pretty tasty.  Can grow to a 20 man squad but not sure this would ever be taken

Not sure about being able to swap out the lascannons for cheaper options with no point discount but hey... if you wanted to run all plasma cannons then this will just evaporate enemy squads with ap2 and no cover saves.  All other options are just stupid - why swap out a lascannon for a multimelta or for a bolter on your Sgt (who only comes with 1 attack standard - golly gee?)

Nice to see some love for this early edition legion.  (more Legion destroyers released but this seems to be the favorite of FW at the moment - this time for the White Scars)

Thoughts on the new unit?

I like it

Edited by RoadRunna

New HH download revealed in the last day or so - SUN KILLERS as a special Heavy choice:

250pts for 5 lascannon man squad with BS5 and no cover saves to the target if the SunKillers move (weird given they have heavy weapons so will never move prior to shooting).  This is only 15pts above what a standard Heavy weapon team costs so pretty tasty.  Can grow to a 20 man squad but not sure this would ever be taken

Not sure about being able to swap out the lascannons for cheaper options with no point discount but hey... if you wanted to run all plasma cannons then this will just evaporate enemy squads with ap2 and no cover saves.  All other options are just stupid - why swap out a lascannon for a multimelta or for a bolter on your Sgt (who only comes with 1 attack standard - golly gee?)

Nice to see some love for this early edition legion.  (more Legion destroyers released but this seems to be the favorite of FW at the moment - this time for the White Scars)

Thoughts on the new unit?

So you’re aware it no cover saves if the sun killers haven’t moved in last turn

Edited by Churchill53

Love the new Sunkillers rules. I've previously been running 10-man HSS with Lascannons + MoS for the Cognis Signum - for 15 points more I can run 10-man Sunkillers + Siege Breaker, essentially trading the Cognis Signum for +1BS, and adding Precision Fire, Wrecker and Tank Hunters for the 15 points. Do lose the Orbital Bombardment, but my track record with that was....poor :teehee:

• 2 months later...

Well-met brothers. Not to jump the gun, but I am looking at the new +1 initiative on the charge after all other modifiers and thinking two units will profit. Most obvious is power-fist toting terminators, but also power axe wielding Veterans. The latter being substantially less tanky but also substantially cheaper (260pts v 340pts for ten of each), and also much easier to fit in a transport, and having higher WS and attacks (due to weapon & pistol). 

Could power-axe veterans be a glass cannon answer to enemy terminator blobs that doesn't require committing an equally expensive unit? 

Edited by Brother Kraskor

You might be onto something there. With the new Land Raider being transport 12, vets with apothecary and another character (like the mandatory Maru Skara chapion) could become a force to be reckoned with.

Still, If what you need is to tie a unit of elite termies for a fraction of their cost I think palatine blades could possibly do their job better with their new "perfect defense" rule.

You might be onto something there. With the new Land Raider being transport 12, vets with apothecary and another character (like the mandatory Maru Skara chapion) could become a force to be reckoned with.

Still, If what you need is to tie a unit of elite termies for a fraction of their cost I think palatine blades could possibly do their job better with their new "perfect defense" rule.

Ah, I am hamstrung a little in that I've not seen any new rules for actual units, just some core rules. Apparently Palatines can no longer take jump packs which upsets me immensely having already built & painted some that way.

We also apparently now have a 'phoenix rapier', which is a power sword with rending & murderous strike 6+. But phoenix spears no longer AP2. Hard to know what to make of it all for now I guess. 

Ah, I am hamstrung a little in that I've not seen any new rules for actual units, just some core rules. Apparently Palatines can no longer take jump packs which upsets me immensely having already built & painted some that way.

We also apparently now have a 'phoenix rapier', which is a power sword with rending & murderous strike 6+. But phoenix spears no longer AP2. Hard to know what to make of it all for now I guess. 

Both Palatines and Phoenix Guard have stances they can choose to do. Either reduce attacks to 1 and be hit on 6s, or strike at I1 and AP1. So you can actually get more turns of terminator-busting out of spears now. And still hit on 6s with the combo of sonic shriekers -1 to hit and WS 5

Both Palatines and Phoenix Guard have stances they can choose to do. Either reduce attacks to 1 and be hit on 6s, or strike at I1 and AP1. So you can actually get more turns of terminator-busting out of spears now. And still hit on 6s with the combo of sonic shriekers -1 to hit and WS 5

Wow that is groovy. I just have to hope for jump packs then!

Yeah I would've thought so right? Making them Troops but not 'line' is only a very small benefit.

Also... Andy Hoare collects EC right? I'm sure I've seen a photo of his Palatine Blades with jump packs. Surely he wouldn't write his own models out of the rules?!

Changes I've managed to spot:

- No Line for Kakophani in 3rd Company Elite.

- Phoenix Warden or Champion for Maru Skara RoW.

- Loyalist Warlord trait giving +1 to hit against Traitors, rather than +1WS, looks nasty (throw on Palatines they'll hit their WS4 brethren on 2s!)

- Sonic Shriekers require charge/be charged.

- Phoenix Spears get Breaching. 

- Perfect Offence/Defence replaced by three rules: either +1WS for determing your hit rolls but -1A, +1WS for determining enemy hit rolls but -1A, or +1A and -1WS

- Confirmed no jump packs for Palatine blades. Argh!