Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Emperor's Children Tactica

Fulgrim Emperors Children Kakophoni Maru Skara Palantine Blades Phoenix Terminators Slaanesh 3rd Legion Horus Heresy

• Please log in to reply
1261 replies to this topic

Mogsam

Mogsam

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 365 posts
  • Faction: Emperors Children, Salamanders
3rd company elite makes kakophoni useful in ZM. They are a real threat down a corridor. It also gives your tactical marines access to sonic shriekers for combat bonuses. Combi flamers for the terminator would be good as well. Flamers are insane in ZM.

Varyn

Varyn

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 344 posts

A tactical squad would be a good addition as you're a bit short on scoring units, due to the 3 dreadnoughts. I think that on paper the Kheres is probably better than the culverin on the contemptor, but volkites are definitely cooler!

Remember that you can always cut the lascannon off the other contemptor and magnetise some weapons to give you flexibility :) 

Rune Priest Ridcully

Rune Priest Ridcully

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,547 posts
  • Faction: Thousand Sons

I thought combatant force organisation chart only allowed 2 troops? Am planning to try and magnetise the dread at some point, could a tactical support/veteran tactical squad/second terminator squad be a good idea? thinking possibly instead of one of the dreads or the seekers.
Also, as I have the calth heros lying around, I am wondering could a preator or champion in cataphrakti with chainfist and combi melta work? I know we are all about initative bonus, but being able to use instant death on any enemy heroes/threaten any dreads that try and cause trouble whilst leading a cattaphracti terminator squad with a phoenix spear sergeant would give a bit of an anvil for the rest of my force I'm thinking?

Edited by Rune Priest Ridcully, 16 May 2020 - 12:40 PM.

Need Snot green paint, will trade bits/pay for it.

QUOTE (Kol_Saresk @ Oct 22 2012, 06:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I love how GW creates the Warp Talon to be some sort of super-powered Raptor, and instead it's become the king-of-all-kitbashes.

gallery_48988_16045_16337.pnggallery_48988_16045_14557.png

Foudroyant Virus

Foudroyant Virus

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 9 posts

Otherwise, command squads are cool, but fall a touch flat compared to Palatine Blades. With their ability to take artificer and AP2 at high initiative, they pretty much outrank the command squad in all aspects except for not having the fearless granting banner.

What? The command squad is the single best unit in the game! Put them on bikes, give them PF, combat shield and an Apothecarion And you have a 2+\4++\5+++ against shooting, a unit ignoring alsmost every ID-Weapon like Lascannons or Melta.
In CC they have 2+\5++\5+++ against powerfists and the like.

Not to mention the Banner. You heavy support squad getting strafed by a fireraptor? No problem, go to ground in cover and wnjoy the coversave. You Command squad can zip up the field and make them stand upright once again.

A fearless bubble is great against Kakophonie, NL and every single LD-test.
The Palatine blades are the fluffier option, true.
But they have no Invul- or Coversave whats so ever. Against other 2+ heavy hitters they absolutely need the charge. And if the enemie is stubborn or fearless, the palatine blades will likely lose. Oh, and no fearless bubble ;)

Gorgoff

Gorgoff

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,343 posts
  • Faction: IVth Legion
5+1 dudes for 350 points (plus the preator on a bike as well) are not the best unit in the game. For that cost you get far better stuff.
Bring back Psycho Dad!
gallery_48988_10980_12646.png

Mogsam

Mogsam

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 365 posts
  • Faction: Emperors Children, Salamanders
Agreed. There just aren't enough bodies in command squads.

They might work on bikes or jetbikes, but I'd rather take a cheap delegatus and some normal units for the amount of points they cost.

Rune Priest Ridcully

Rune Priest Ridcully

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,547 posts

Thouhts on terminator armoured chaplains and loadouts? I got phoenix guard legs, chest, head and shoulders which I plan to make into a chaplain. but was wondering what loadouts people thought best on them?

I love how GW creates the Warp Talon to be some sort of super-powered Raptor, and instead it's become the king-of-all-kitbashes.

The Scorpion

The Scorpion

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 222 posts

Thouhts on terminator armoured chaplains and loadouts? I got phoenix guard legs, chest, head and shoulders which I plan to make into a chaplain. but was wondering what loadouts people thought best on them?

If your legion has any AP2 at initiative or similar: use that.

Otherwise, thunder hammer.

Rune Priest Ridcully

Rune Priest Ridcully

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,547 posts

I thought Chaplains had to use a power axe or maul?

Slips

Slips

++ ARCHIMAGIRUS RUDIS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 14,226 posts
  • Faction: V,VII,IX,XII,XV Legions

Nope, when upgraded to a chaplain they get a Power Weapon to use as a Crozius but you can still swap any other weapon to whatever you want where available.

Posted ImagePosted Image Posted Image

++Part of the ship...Part of the Crew++

+] Use the Report Button! [+

rendingon1+

rendingon1+

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,428 posts

Nope, when upgraded to a chaplain they get a Power Weapon to use as a Crozius but you can still swap any other weapon to whatever you want where available.
That was pre-errata, now you're stuck with a crozius forever. And combi bolter cannot be exchanged to melee weapon.

Replaces their chainsword or combat blade (or power weapon if in Terminator armour) with a Crozius Arcanum, which is a power weapon (type as shown on model). The Crozius Arcanum is a Chaplain’s symbol of office and may not be replaced by any other weapon.

The Scorpion

The Scorpion

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 222 posts

I thought combatant force organisation chart only allowed 2 troops? Am planning to try and magnetise the dread at some point, could a tactical support/veteran tactical squad/second terminator squad be a good idea? thinking possibly instead of one of the dreads or the seekers.
Also, as I have the calth heros lying around, I am wondering could a preator or champion in cataphrakti with chainfist and combi melta work? I know we are all about initative bonus, but being able to use instant death on any enemy heroes/threaten any dreads that try and cause trouble whilst leading a cattaphracti terminator squad with a phoenix spear sergeant would give a bit of an anvil for the rest of my force I'm thinking?

You will be hard-pressed to be short of troops in any FoC, save the Leviathan one. And even then few people ever take 4 troops.

Worry instead about elite slots, they're pretty scarce in Zone Mortalis.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Fulgrim, Emperors Children, Kakophoni, Maru Skara, Palantine Blades, Phoenix Terminators, Slaanesh, 3rd Legion, Horus Heresy

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users