The Astrogranite gave more peaks for some reason, not sure why as I put the same amount on I usually do but variety is good :smile.: This is 10 Termies (plus Lord and Sorcerer), I think I have another 8... though I have a recollection I might have another squad.

I don't think 9th has done any favours to Terminators directly, it's pretty much the same as before but they got relatively cheaper by comparison to most so I think it's a better time than in recent memory for them :thumbsup: Not that I wouldn't have been running them anyway, but you know :tongue.:

Nope particularly, though I still have no idea what made the difference here but I'm thinking it's the difference between an almost empty pot or not so I will keep this in mind next time the texture paint is running out. The basing scheme is:

1. Plastic coated playing card, skulls, pipes, etc as part of assembly
  2. Paint (Administratum Grey tiles)
  3. Apply Astrogranite (going over the edges of the tiles here and there helps with a more realistic look, plus quicker and easier :P )
  4. Wash Nuln Oil
  5. Overbrush with Administratum Grey (most of paint is removed from brush)
  6. Water areas painted Abaddon Black with water effect on top
  7. Steel Legion Drab sides

I used to add bits of the thicker Astrogranite Debris here and there especially on larger bases but it didn't seem to make a bit difference or look that great so I don't bother with it. Aside from the tiles the water helps break the bases up, and reduce texture use and of course skulls etc are accents to taste. Hope this helps :thumbsup:

• 7 months later...

Been a while... unfortunately I have been very busy with work and what little hobby time I have mustered has been on some one off projects. Though they have since petered out too but that has changed. BCC gave me a hand-me-down Defiler (missing only the engine part) and this has given me something to get to grips with, although progress isn't particularly fast.

So it has taken a few weeks to get to this stage, but all progress is good progress. Behold the beginnings of the Crabshrimp (name pending):

gallery_30308_10249_13406.jpg

The Defiler kit is almost 20 years old, I feel that the hollow claws demonstrate this neatly :tongue.: While it won't be front and centre when assembled I am trying to do my Chaos with some extra pizazz so this wouldn't do. A bit of sprue for the main filler and ready for some milliput:

gallery_30308_10249_72710.jpg

As you can see, I've magnetised the waist joint. 8x2mm should be plenty strong enough though it took a little bit of excavation to get it to fit into the waist part but it was basic work. The autocannon is a good example of the de-spiking in progress, though I went the extra mile and removed the trim underneath on the armoured plate. Along with the extra spikes and fat bayonets on the guns this should help reduce the apparent age of the kit compared to the other Daemon Engines :smile.:

gallery_30308_10249_12101.jpg

As another sign of the kit's age there's no rotation for the turret/arms so I've added that in - and for the head too for good measure since I was there. With the flat back for the right shoulder there wasn't much room, but full rotation isn't needed or possible as the top of the torso inserts into the top of the circular gap. They should be able to rotate 90 degrees or more to the front which is plenty, and of course far more than the default :tongue.:

I'm working on adapting the limbs also but they need some more work yet. I did look at magnetising more than just the torso but it's not really viable and I decided that chances are I'd stick with the scourge anyway. Reaper Autocannon and Battle Cannon are some good shooting, and all my Daemon Engines want to get stuck in anyway.

While progress is going to continue to be slow it is going well I think, so I'm feeling confident that the extra work will help the kit look a little less aged or at the least help it fit in more next to the rest of the shrimp family :smile.:

Thanks Rumi, trials and tribulations aside on my time and energy it feels good to be back on my CSM again :) With the weather being much improved lately I'm looking to get to some priming soon but there's still a fair bit of work that needs doing first. Maybe I can get a bit more done this weekend.

I finished the leg armour plates to as good as I was realistically going to get them for smoothness - or close enough. That means finally ready to glue the model together ready for priming. With a top from Excessus on gluing the legs the first quest was finding something the right height and flat, fortunately Poland came to the rescue:

gallery_30308_10249_20218.jpg

Once that was done I could glue the claw arms on with less hassle, unfortunately this revealed something I had wondered about in that the model is a bit front heavy. I tried a penny but it wasn't heavy enough:

gallery_30308_10249_45698.jpg

As you can see it was the perfect fit, so I needed to source something heavier but ideally not as wide as there's less room above. As luck would have it after more than a little rummaging I found a spare nut - this is why we hoard things :P It wasn't a perfect fit but thanks to the age of the model the inner part of the body top had spare plastic to be shaved off for a snug fit:

gallery_30308_10249_20750.jpg

Snug enough that it probably wasn't going to move, but the last thing I'd want is for that to change after the model is done and painted so a couple of blockades are put in for good measure :) With that done just needed the final glue:

gallery_30308_10249_35567.jpg

The claws can move freely of course, though again the age of the kit shows in that gluing the two claw pieces together doesn't leave much room for a secure bond so will need to be careful when moving them. For good measure, a "mostly assembled" shot too:

gallery_30308_10249_18648.jpg

It's nice to get some hobby progress in to reach a milestone. Maybe I can get some priming in tomorrow but I'm not sure what my supplies are looking like here as it has been so long since I used them :confused:

• 2 weeks later...

Progress continues to be slow, but I am doing what I can with the time I can find and working my way through the base white layer:

gallery_30308_10249_62232.jpg

Not very exciting I know, but without base coats there are no layers on top :tongue.: The (model's) front left leg shows the main thing here - long story short is I was planning on painting all the trim as trim but once I had finished most of the first white on the legs I started to think that this would be too much trim. Especially as the "sides" of the leg plates are fairly thick as far as trim usually goes. I didn't want the legs to look like they were mostly trim as the gold is supposed to be a complementary colour and this might look exaggerated compared to the body which is more modest in trim.

I checked GW's schemes on the box and saw that they ignored the trim on the upper segment of the limbs and I thought that if the solution was good enough for the experts it's good enough for me :tongue.: So a bit more white is needed but with a bit of luck maybe I'll be able to start on the next base colour this week?

You can't see from the picture but I've also done some preliminary metallic work. This was focused on the body mostly to try and figure out what should be what. Similar to the legs I wanted a decent part to be the main colours rather than a block of Leadbelcher but I think I've got a good divide of colours :smile.:

While any games are still a way off I have crafted a list that uses all my Daemon Engines included the Defiler. I think it's a pretty decent list too, as far as it goes. I will need one more model for it though but we'll see how things go. As ever so many projects but so little time...

Personally, I think it is a big enough model without loads of details (compared to more "modern" models) and lots of space between the trim (counting both armour and mechanical bits), that I don't think painting all the trim would be a problem.  Whichever way you do it would likely work just fine.

Though, by the "sides of the legs", do you mean the portion between the armour plate and the body?  If so, I agree with your decision not to do that - at least from your photo, it doesn't really look like "trim" but rather just the shape that the leg structure is cast in.  I would still do the chaos stars on the knees as trim, though.

My own inclination would be to do all the trim that's on the edges of armour plates and largely ignore any "trim" elsewhere.  One thing you could do, for the trim that is on leadbelcher parts, you could do it in a lighter metal (or if black/dark grey in white/a lighter grey), or with more aggressive highlighting - that would allow it to register as different without upsetting the colour balance of the model as a whole.

Edited by Dr_Ruminahui

The edge of the leg's side plates I mean (which point up and down on the standing model), I feel it the extra depth might make for too much gold at least with my scheme. At the least it'll not be too short of gold once you factor in the Chaos stars and other trim etc :)

I plan to return to the claw parts for a different approach to the standard metallic but I'll see how it goes, I'm familiar enough with my colour scheme so it will be easy for me to see where it's going and adapt as I go :tu: I'm still getting back into painting somewhat but I'm enjoying it so far, plus I do like painting my Chaos schemes :D

Yes, I agree with Ruminahui.

Your Defiler would look fine even if you didn't paint all the trim and, as you note, in so doing you prevent your gold accent color from dominating the model.

I sort of cheated on my Deffy. I used my rust/metal undercoat as my trim and then I arbitrarily added my black and green basecoats to various parts of the model.

gallery_88062_14499_99957.jpg

Have fun and good luck with all those coats of white!

Edited by Tallarn Commander

Here's the progress I've made; all the base coats are done outside some touch ups:

gallery_30308_10249_23575.jpg

Steady progress is a close second to quick? :P Now I have all the trim to see (albeit base coat) I can get a good feel for the scheme bits and I think it works as expected as the torso has a lot of trim on so needs some "room". I will have good space for a couple of transfers on the limbs and maybe someone on the body too so it should all come together nicely :tu:

I've felt like assembling something a few times this week, and with a list I crafted to use the Defiler featuring a model I have long held plans for I figured this was a sign from Slaanesh and got to work. So it proved as the bits fell into my hands and I had my Master of Executions:

gallery_30308_10249_64350.jpg

Once the milliput is ready I will complete the final cleaning ready for priming :smile.: Like all HQ characters he looks a bit fancy but I went for a little bit more as he should be a bit special. He is effectively the Chaos answer to a Champion and in a warband such as the Sunder would surely hold pride of place as one of the foremost duellists. Enough that I've even written up a lore piece, first in ages:

The Executioner

Master of Executions, Slaanesh's Conqueror, Death of Champions

The sword is a common weapon for members of the Sunder, while much of this is a legacy of their loyalist days it is also seen as a superior weapon to demonstrate martial skill. This prevalence is largely eschewed only by the more veteran and experienced of hands. The axe, for example, is not as elegant as a sword but matching the sword's grace with one is a simple and clear way to show others your martial skill surpasses theirs. So is the axe to be seen amongst the elite of the Kindred most of all.

It is following this principle that the Executioner uses an axe, and a two-handed one at that, for the Executioner is one with few peers. He cares only for defeating the greatest of warriors and unusually makes no attempt to hide his former identity as the champion of the Swords of Victory. It is this old loyalty and his complete disinterest in anything other than the duel that means he has never issued a challenge to command the Sunder; none are foolish enough to speculate on who might win such a contest. Freed from any notion of camaraderie with any other force he can go after any head he likes and this is exactly how he likes it.

Since their rebirth as the Sunder he has proven the renegade chapter's superior martial skill against countless foes of all stripes. From Necron to Eldar even great Tyranid beasts all fall before his axe, swung with speed and talent that would require witnessing to truly believe. After each sublime kill he seeks his next victim without fanfare, as it were just another Tuesday for him; though any hapless enemies he finds on the way should not think this stops him from finding some "light entertainment" on the way...

I'm not sure when I'll prime him, but the plan is to paint him up here and there alongside the Defiler as a break from the larger model. I wouldn't be surprised to see him done around the same time, or perhaps even sooner :tongue.:

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't been resting on my imagined laurels; the Defiler has been progressing with the melon complete and the first coat of the gold:

gallery_30308_10249_53081.jpg

Starting to see it come together now, as well as confirm that keeping some gold off the legs was the right choice as the upper part is quite trim heavy. There is a reasonable amount of painting still to do between finishing the metallics and the final white coat but without many stages left I can start seeing the finished article :)

• 2 weeks later...

Here's the progress I've made; all the base coats are done outside some touch ups:

gallery_30308_10249_23575.jpg

Steady progress is a close second to quick? :tongue.: Now I have all the trim to see (albeit base coat) I can get a good feel for the scheme bits and I think it works as expected as the torso has a lot of trim on so needs some "room". I will have good space for a couple of transfers on the limbs and maybe someone on the body too so it should all come together nicely :thumbsup:

haha :D a pink/white defiler! what legion is this? or is it your own selfmade legion?

The pink is an intermediary colour :tongue.: They're a DIY war band, turned renegade "recently" (i.e. in 40k terms). I've not had time to get any hobby done for a while unfortunately, but I have found some time this evening for a return to the Defiler :smile.: I reckon I can finish the metallics and maybe the white if I'm lucky?

Been coming along, though it doesn't look like much progress here :tongue.: The metallics are done, just need to finish a few small bits like cables and the ammo feed:

gallery_30308_10249_56276.jpg

I should get the new white I need this weekend so work can continue next week :smile.: There's not much left after the white is completed, though the wash stage will be fairly extensive there's only a few lenses to do :thumbsup: Oh and some transfers of course, I'm sure I can fit at least a couple on :biggrin.:

The pink is an intermediary colour :tongue.: They're a DIY war band, turned renegade "recently" (i.e. in 40k terms). I've not had time to get any hobby done for a while unfortunately, but I have found some time this evening for a return to the Defiler :smile.: I reckon I can finish the metallics and maybe the white if I'm lucky?

behh! get an airbrush instead :D no more icky picky painting!

nah :D just kiddin, but im gonna get my airbrush soon. its gonna be pink slaanesh marines there too. :)

do you have an entire army, or just a couple loose models thats pink/white?