"Such is the woe cast upon the Domains of the God-Emperor of Mankind in these times that in their wisdom and beneficence, the High Lords of Terra have this day issued this decree: Let there be a Founding of the Adeptus Astartes, and let the foes of the Emperor know that this galaxy belongs to Him, now and forever." — High Lord Tagus, Convenor of the 349th Congress of the Imperium
Greetings, battle-brothers ! Because many brains are better than a single one, because of the success and fun of Cormarc Airt's Liber Cluster, and because I don't know if this has been done before, I wanted to try out a new project : a collectively designed, brand new, Chapter of Space Marines !
The goal is to have as many B&C members provide insights, pieces of fluff, history bits, character/squad/vehicle profiles, short stories, defining doctrines, iconography and other suggestions to make the most fleshed out fanmade Chapter ! Let's put our collective mind together to design a characterful Chapter to rally behind, to collect, assemble and take to battle ! And perhaps, who knows, make it well known enough to inspire new members to join His Righteous and Glorious cause !
The starting point will be simple : it will mostly be a blank slate with just a few guidelines to ensure that the Chapter doesn't stray too far from the ideals of the Adeptus Astartes and to prevent having trouble finding new bits of content to add.
Phase 2 (aka deciding the naming of the Chapter) has been completed ! We are all glad to introduce you to the Knights Panthera !
The Knights Panthera is a Codex-Adherent Ultramarines successor, known to capture prisoners on the battlefield as much as possible, then bring them back to their homeworld and execute them in large public ceremonies as tributes in the name of the Holy Emperor and the Imperium, sometimes in vast quantities. These ceremonies not only are designed to honour the Emperor and his vision for mankind, but also have a very strong morale boosting effect on the human population of the Knights Panthera's homeworld and neighboring systems. Respect and battle honours are awarded amongst the Chapter based on the captures : the more numerous or the more impressive the captives are, the more glory to the Astartes and the Chapter.
In battle, the Knights Panthera are known to favour a strong advancing battle line of Tactical and Devastator Marines pinning the enemy down, while light and mobile elements, usually Bike Squadrons and Assault Marines, reap the enemy from his positions and cutting off their exit routes. Promotions in the Chapter are decided by the High Council (name pending), who assign worthy company Captains chosen among the First Company Sergeants to the Companies based on their prisoner taking achievements and their Tactical Acumen. It is not rare to see Captains replaced by a new pretender that the Chapter Master and his advisors see more suited to the task, with the previous Captain either going back to leading a squad in the First Company or staying on his own will as advisor to the new Captain.
- First of all, let's be friendly to one another. There's no bad idea and the goal is to design something together and add as much content as possible.
- The design process will be conducted in sequential steps in order to maintain focus, and we will have to make sure each post is relevant to the current step.
- Each step will have its own specific guidelines or rules, that will be indicated both in the OP and a post in the thread. For example, defining the colour scheme will be different than pitching in fluff bits : the former will be more structured while the latter will be on an open contribution basis.
- Once a step is over, there will be no more discussion to alter it. In later stages, for example expanding the history, some steps will be permanently open to ensure the constant intake of content !
- Please try to expand on the ideas already submitted by other Brothers as much as possible.
Here are the guidelines for the Chapter that each contributor should keep in mind and follow :
- The Chapter is Loyalist
- The Chapter is from Ultramarines Geneseed (but mutations can occur)
- The Chapter is Codex-Compliant
- The Chapter represents the ideal of Knight-Soldiers or Soldier-Knights. How you interpret this is up to you !
These guidelines are just there to ensure the Chapter remains relatively widely acceptable and not too niche, which would make writing contents for it a bit complicated !
List of steps
- Theme of the Chapter - Completed ! - Naming -Completed !
- Chapter beliefs - Ongoing
- Combat Doctrine - Ongoing
- Coulour scheme and iconography
- Origins and Founding
- General fluff
Let the Founding begin !
Ongoing step : Chapter beliefs and combat doctrine
So, now that the Knights Panthera finally have a name, it's time to flesh out how they act on the battlefield and what their beliefs are. We have covered that already briefly during the theme and the Naming, but let's flesh it out !
Because these two steps are pretty similar in terms of content, we will be doing them simultaneously : after all, beliefs highly influence the combat doctrine of a Chapter !
Let's keep in mind that the Knights Panthera are Codex-Adherent (10 companies, divided in Veteran, Battle, Reserve and Scout companies). As such, they will follow the general doctrines laid out by the Codex (and will use Ultramarines Chapter Tactics on the tabletop !) although some deviation from the Codex is permitted, though not as differentiating as the Iron Hands, Raven Guard or Black Templar Chapters, for example.
Please also keep in mind that the beliefs and the doctrines absolutely must fall in line with their general theme : a clear intent to capture prisoners for later public sacrifices in name of the Emperor, as well as a reliance on heavy infantry (Tactical squads) supported by cavalry (Bikes and Assault Marines).
That said, other uses for these squads, including metaphors of their role within the culture of the Chapter are absolutely permitted, as well as kinks for special formations or favoured deployment patterns !
This step is ongoing until Thursday November 6th at 12:00 a.m. !
May the Emperor protect your inspiration !
Edited by GreyCrow, 04 November 2014 - 12:20 AM.