Fabalah's WIP Icons: Astartes Forces

Fabalah

Well met Brothers and Sisters,

I thought I would share with you my crazy project I have started to work on. I couldn't help but notice the lack of vector versions of the chapter symbols and how many of the icons are incomplete. SO, I have decided to redo them all.

This project will include Space Marine Chapters, Renegade forces and Chaos warbands. So please let me know if I have missed anyone on my 'to do' lists below and I will get to them! (Currently I am not doing any homebrews, maybe at a later point...)

Wish me luck. :smile.:

Astartes [Chapter Approved] Heraldry:

Based off official Astartes heraldry by Fabalah

A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | K | L | 
N | O | P | Q | R | S | T | U | V | W | X | Y | Z

Astartes [RECORD DELETED] Heraldry:

Unofficial Astartes heraldry by Fabalah

A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | K | L | 
N | O | P | Q | R | S | T | U | V | W | X | Y | Z

Reference material:

I am cross referencing from a bunch of places. Mostly from Lexicanum, but I'll share them with you! 

Edited by Fabalah

Astartes [Chapter Approved] Heraldry:

Based off official Astartes heraldry by Fabalah

A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | K | L | 
N | O | P | Q | R | S | T | U | V | W | X | Y | Z

Alright, here is my letter A list: 
Let me know if I need to add anyone, thanks!

Astartes [Chapter Approved] Heraldry, Section A:

Green = Done

Yellow = Need an image to create.

Red = Not done yet.

1. Absolvers -- Reference | Finished Heraldry
  2. Accipiters -- Reference (From the Limited Edition 7th Edition Space Marines Codex) | Finished Heraldry
  3. Adharon's Reavers -- Reference | Finished Heraldry
  4. Adulators -- Reference | Finished Heraldry
  5. Alpha Legion -- Reference | Finished Heraldry
  6. Altar Brethren 
  7. Angels Encarmine -- Reference | Finished Heraldry
  8. Angels Eradicant  -- Reference | Finished Heraldry
  9. Angel Guard -- Reference | Finished Heraldry
  10. Angels Numinous
  11. Angels of Absolution -- Reference | Finished Heraldry
  12. Angels of Damnation -- Reference | Finished Heraldry
  13. Angels of Ecstasy -- Reference | Finished Heraldry
  14. Angels of Fire 
    1. Angels of Fire  -- Reference | Finished Heraldry
    2. Angels of Fire  -- Reference (From the Limited Edition 7th Edition Space Marines Codex) | Finished Heraldry
  15. Angels of Flame
  16. Angels of Fury -- Reference | Finished Heraldry
  17. Angels of Iron -- Reference | Finished Heraldry
  18. Angels of Penance -- Reference (From the Limited Edition 7th Edition Space Marines Codex) | Finished Heraldry
  19. Angels of Purgatory
  20. Angels of Redemption -- Reference | Finished Heraldry
  21. Angels of Repentance -- Reference (From the Limited Edition 7th Edition Space Marines Codex) | Finished Heraldry
  22. Angels of Retribution -- Reference | Finished Heraldry
  23. Angels of Vengeance -- Reference | Finished Heraldry
  24. Angels of Vigilance -- Reference | Finished Heraldry
  25. Angels of Wrath  
  26. Angels Penitent 
    1. Angels Penitent -- Reference | Finished Heraldry
    2. Angels Penitent -- Reference (From the Limited Edition 7th Edition Space Marines Codex) | Finished Heraldry
  27. Angels Porphyr -- Reference | Finished Heraldry
  28. Angels Puissant
  29. Angels Redeemed -- Reference (From the Limited Edition 7th Edition Space Marines Codex) | Finished Heraldry
  30. Angels Repentant
  31. Angels Resplendent -- Reference (From the Limited Edition 7th Edition Space Marines Codex) | Finished Heraldry
  32. Angels Revenant -- Reference | Finished Heraldry
  33. Angels Sanguine -- Reference | Finished Heraldry
  34. Angels Vermillion -- Reference | Finished Heraldry
  35. Angels Vindicant
  36. Angron's Chosen -- Reference | Finished Heraldry
  37. Apocalypse Company -- Reference | Finished Heraldry
  38. Apostles of Contagion -- Reference | Finished Heraldry
  39. Apostles of MinthRas -- Reference | Finished Heraldry
  40. Argent Hammers
  41. Astral Blades
  42. Astral Claws -- Reference | Finished Heraldry
  43. Astral Fists
  44. Astral Hawks -- Reference (From the Limited Edition 7th Edition Space Marines Codex) | Finished Heraldry
  45. Astral Knights 
    1. Astral Knights -- Reference | Finished Heraldry
    2. Astral Knights -- Reference (From the Limited Edition 7th Edition Space Marines Codex) | Finished Heraldry
  46. Auric Patricians -- Reference (From the Limited Edition 7th Edition Space Marines Codex) | Finished Heraldry
  47. Aurora Chapter -- Reference | Finished Heraldry
  48. Aurora Talons
  49. Avengers -- Reference | Finished Heraldry
  50. Avenging Sons -- Reference | Finished Heraldry
Edited by Fabalah

Okay, seeing as under A there are 45, its seems like its going to be a loooong project. Good luck! :D

BTW, I believe that currently the Astral Knights official heraldry is this one: http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/warhammer40k/images/f/f7/Astral_Knights_SP.png/revision/latest?cb=20150101014353

Nice work. I have actually never seen that scheme for the Astral Knights... Im wondering if there are 2 chapters with the same name or they have retconned them, someone with more knowledge than me might be able to weigh in.

Cool project! Minor nitpick though. These guys:

http://fabalah.com/download/AstartesForces/A/LetterA23.png

are the Apostle of Minthras, not Minthros.

Also, Angels Penitant appears to be a misspelling of Angels Penitent.

Dragonlover

Edit: Answered my own question.

Edited by Dragonlover

Hmmm, I have seen that version GrandMagnus and this one.. Should I do both or?

med_gallery_39941_11034_117479.jpg

Nice work. I have actually never seen that scheme for the Astral Knights... Im wondering if there are 2 chapters with the same name or they have retconned them, someone with more knowledge than me might be able to weigh in.

Considering that the Sable Swords have at least circumstantial evidence that they themselves may have had two iterations over the millennia, it's not outside the realm of possibility that there has been two Astral Knights chapters. However, this is not the be all and end all of the reasoning behind the differing icons - there could very well be other reasons too, chief of which is that the Astral Knights have always been one and the same but have, instead, altered their iconography for some reason. We just don't know. All we know is that there is two versions of the Astral knights chapter symbol. I'd say do them both but mark them down as 'Version a' and 'Version b'.

We just don't know. All we know is that there is two versions of the Astral knights chapter symbol. I'd say do them both but mark them down as 'Version a' and 'Version b'.

Agreed - after all, we have the Raptors Chapter for a clear example of a change in heraldry - from Yellow pad, Black Heraldry to Dull Green pad, White Heraldry.

We just don't know. All we know is that there is two versions of the Astral knights chapter symbol. I'd say do them both but mark them down as 'Version a' and 'Version b'.

Agreed - after all, we have the Raptors Chapter for a clear example of a change in heraldry - from Yellow pad, Black Heraldry to Dull Green pad, White Heraldry.

There's that as well. Could it be two chapters, or one? That's down to personal interpretation and gap filling by the individual themselves. I know my own interpretation has differed in the past from others - where they saw evidence for two chapters, I did not. To me, a change in heraldry is exactly that -  a change in heraldry. More evidence is needed to prove multiple bearers of a name, in my opinion.

@Dragonlover

I updated the image and list, my bad! Thanks for the feed back.

Also I found two different versions of the Angels Penitent, same problem with as the Astral Knights. I have a feeling that this is going to be an on going problem. I'll just do a 'Version a' and a 'Version b' as Olis has suggested. 

So, lets take a quick look at the Angels of Repentance. Do you think that there should be wings coming out of the robe or? I don't know what else it could be, I thought maybe it could be his other sleeve but It looks like both his hands are grabbing the sword. So the anatomy wouldn't be correct assuming that. If it is wings ... does any one know what kind of wings it would be?

med_gallery_39941_11034_474842.jpg

Note: I think I might have answered my own question looking at the Angels Resplendent. Still I would like to hear your thoughts. Thanks!

Edited by Fabalah

I think they would be wings because, as you say, he'd be a hunchback or something. That and, if you look real close, there seems to be two hands holding the sword. As for the wings, I would assume them to be folded angel wings or wings opened to about 45 degree angle (I'm not really good with angles but I build angels all the time :laugh.:).

EDIT: Also, and I can't believe this slipped my mind, this is so awesome that it doesn't have sauce yet. Get it? Awesome-sauce? Yeah, I'm not funny anywhere on here, am I :sad.:?

Edited by Mehman

Yeah, that's a wing. I'd put it at roughly the same angle and shape as the wing on the Angels of Retribution logo.

Also, where did you find that Angels Redeemed logo? Neither of the wiki's I checked had it, and Lexicanum at least is usually pretty good.

Dragonlover

EDIT: Also, and I can't believe this slipped my mind, this is so awesome that it doesn't have sauce yet. Get it? Awesome-sauce? Yeah, I'm not funny anywhere on here, am I :sad.:?

haha, thanks Mehman! I am glad you are liking them! :biggrin.:

Also, where did you find that Angels Redeemed logo? Neither of the wiki's I checked had it, and Lexicanum at least is usually pretty good.

It is from a bonus booklet that came with the Limited Edition version of the 7th Edition Space Marines Codex. You can thank Dusktiger and AceofCase for the photo!

Edit: I thought I would share the photo with you.

med_gallery_39941_11034_259389.jpg

It'll be a long wait for R, but worth it :happy.:

I'm excited about getting to R too! Maybe I'll cheat....

Edited by Fabalah

Ah right, gotcha. That booklet is gonna be pretty invaluable for this, huh?

So, what sparked the idea for this project? Was it just a 'this thing should exist, so I'll make it!' type deal?

Dragonlover

Well Dragonlover, I was doing a 40k wallpaper project awhile back and I got frustrated at the lack of community vector icons. There are a few around here on the BnC and I found some on BolS but no where near a complete collection. My goal over all is to provide everyone with these vectors in an ai file or eps file and let them to do what they will with them. I also just love creating things. :happy.:

Here is the last of the A section thus far, unless any of you can help me out with the imagery of the following... Angels of Flame, Angels of Purgatory, Angels of Wrath, Angels Puissant, Angels Repentant, Angels Vindicant and/or Astral Fists. 

large.ByFabalah-W40K-A-AngelsOfRepentance.png.0cd22bff362122f65734ef87ef36e346.pnglarge.ByFabalah-W40K-A-AngelsPenitent-001.png.d479ed4c106803608afccc55e00a5134.pnglarge.ByFabalah-W40K-A-AngelsPenitent-002.png.58edb9930633fa4f03c8391f9944977a.pnglarge.ByFabalah-W40K-A-AngelsReslendent.png.4f2e569a6089271cea91eeef3be17dd5.pnglarge.ByFabalah-W40K-A-AstralClaws.png.78725785cc4bb770fdee07bb92722d84.png

large.ByFabalah-W40K-A-AstralHawks.png.c7164b68e5b0a491e5dd7ad5f2174e3b.pnglarge.ByFabalah-W40K-A-AstralKnights-001.png.a9ed58ee8aed0824bb2e09c1b568e754.pnglarge.ByFabalah-W40K-A-AstralKnights-002.png.32ebca7ca4e4c71b47191d0841c26f11.pnglarge.ByFabalah-W40K-A-AuroraChapter.png.9e08bf4837e453f8e9ca1c34fe8dd5d5.png

large.ByFabalah-W40K-A-ApocalypseCompany.png.fe10261b1512bd7f8dd13ce82dfb83e9.png

Edited by Fabalah