This is my "shut up and paint" progress thread. The idea is to lay out my Commandery's TO&E and link later posts as I finish individual units, with weekly updates on Sundays to keep me on task, motivated, and positive. This takes the place of my old WIP thread.

:HQ:Command

Saint Celestine
Canoness
Command Squad

Cardinal in TDA
Confessor Big Hat
Priests

:Elite:Elites

Repentia
Crusaders
Death Cultists
Frateris Militia
Sister Sniper

:Troops:Troops

__Battle Sisters
BSS 1
BSS 2
BSS 3
BSS 4

:FA:Fast Attack

__Seraphim
Squad 1
Squad 2

Squad 3

__Dominions
Melta Squad 1
Melta Squad 2

Melta Squad 3
Flamer Squad 1
Flamer Squad 2
Storm Bolter Squad 1
Storm Bolter Squad 2

:HS:Heavy Support

__Retributors
Heavy Bolter Squad 1
Heavy Bolter Squad 2

Multimelta Squad

Heavy Flamer Squad

Exorcist 1
Exorcist 2
Exorcist 3

Transports

Immolator 1
Immolator 2
Immolator 3
Immolator 4

Repressor 1
Repressor 2

Rhino 1
Rhino 2
Rhino 3
Rhino 4

Ecclesiarchal Land Raider

Ecclesiarchal Valkyrie

Lords of War

Avenger Strike Fighter

Ecclesiarchy Oathed Knight

Edited by Warsmith Aznable

Week 1:

gallery_53134_10809_122373.jpg

Currently working on Battle Sister Squad 1, Fire Team A

I'm calling it "Fire Team A" because I'm doing my BSS in batches of 5, and I'm setting them up so that they can "combat squad" for MSU by making every Grenade Girl I have a team leader for the back half of each squad of 10. (Alert: I am a bit crazy when it comes to organising my collections.)

I've got the black foundation and done the base coat of Mephiston Red on the robes and Ceramite white for trim and undercoat for later colours.

I look forward to seeing more of this! :happy.:

I look forward to filling all the unit entries in the OP with red links! :wink:  I'm so very tired of fielding primer white Sisters... :dry.:

I'm going to feel daft, but, the Land Raider. I take it that it’s an allied unit? I'm pretty sure Sisters don't have direct access to them outside of allies.

I'm going to feel daft, but, the Land Raider. I take it that it’s an allied unit? I'm pretty sure Sisters don't have direct access to them outside of allies.

I'm still sort of on the fence about it, but I think I'm going to use the Inquisition list so that I can have a "Battle Pope" in TDA with frateris militia and a Land Raider. My current idea is to cast the head of a Confessor Kyrinov and graft it onto a modified GK Terminator model so that Confessor Big Hat can have heavier armour and harder hitting weapons when he wants them.

It makes feel a little dirty for wanting to use =][= rules for anything, but I think that the Church is wealthy enough that at least one Confessor has to have acquired himself some heavy gear.

Even if I never use him in a game, I still think I want a Terminator Arch-Confessor in my collection.

The canoness' blank eyelid kind of creeps me out. Is she meant to be blind in one eye? :smile.:

Ah, why do you have Seraphim listed as Elites? >>

Otherwise, love the idea of the Popenator.

The canoness' blank eyelid kind of creeps me out. Is she meant to be blind in one eye? :smile.:

Ah, why do you have Seraphim listed as Elites?

Because my Seraphim are just that good! And I was tired and made a mistake...

I don't paint eyes, because when I try they look ridiculously bad. Did you ever read that Clavin & Hobbes strip where Calvin is using ping pong balls to fake being awake in class? That's what it reminds me of. I think just a wash over flesh tone is good enough for "table quality" painting.

Ah, why do you have Seraphim listed as Elites?

Because my Seraphim are just that good! And I was tired and made a mistake...

I don't paint eyes, because when I try they look ridiculously bad. Did you ever read that Clavin & Hobbes strip where Calvin is using ping pong balls to fake being awake in class? That's what it reminds me of. I think just a wash over flesh tone is good enough for "table quality" painting.

I feel your pain...great work on everything though...and I am in agreement that a terminator pope must now be made!

I'm beginning to experiment with casting so I can do custom characters and embellish vehicles. On a lark I tried out Mod Podge "Mini Melts" today, largely because they had a set of moulds that had three different fleur-de-lis shapes: large, small, and a chain of the small version. The mini melt stuff runs through a regular high temp mini glue gun and dries into a rubbery plastic that has a similar feel to the Reaper Bones material. These are rough because they were the first I tried, but they give an idea of how to bling up regular rhinos into something that might make a squad of Sisters feel better about not getting to ride in one of the precious few Immolators:

gallery_53134_11240_64477.jpg

gallery_53134_11240_90615.jpg

gallery_53134_11240_64001.jpg

The big one could also be used for the rear ramp, and the chain of little ones might make a cool bumper.

I think I squeezed too much into the mould, and probably there will be less clean up required when I use less in the next try.

I am also going to experiment with how this stuff works going into a green stuff push mold to make other pieces.

The stuff I used is Mod Podge brand High Temp Mini Melts in "milk glass white" as seen here.

The mould these fleurs come in is called Royal Icons and can be seen here.

I don't know how well this material will take primer and painting, but if that's a disaster I will also see if the moulds can be used by pushing well-kneaded green stuff into them...

• 2 weeks later...

I should be doing the final paint on my in-progress BSS, but I got all excited about The Cardinal.

The Cardinal has very firm ideas about which branch of the Imperium is going to save all of humanity, and is willing to do absolutely anything necessary to achieve his ends, including donning his personal customised TDA and leading the armies of the faithful himself.

Here is his current WIP:

gallery_53134_10809_6931.jpg

This may be the silliest thing I've ever done.

The Thunderhammer is going to have the head cut off and replaced by one of those Dark Angel mace heads (that looks like the Mace of Valaan anyway.) I just don't have the bits for that yet.

I may or may not put shoulder pads on him, I haven't decided yet.

He will definitely be festooned with relics and iconography.

The incinerator will have to counts-as either a psicannon or storm bolter when I use him, because I'm building him primarily for the fun of it and decided the incinerator looked more like something this guy would want. Maybe I will make some custom rules for the character and see what my friends think about it.

On the table, ruleswise he would be an Ordo Malleus Inquisitor, probably leading a band of Crusaders and DCA. In the fluff I will write for him, he's a prime candidate for a Hereticus investigation and spends a lot of time going head to head with rival Imperial factions. He's got the backing of the local OML commandery along with a suspiciously well organised Frateris Militia that includes both the usual Ecclesiarchy Battle Conclaves as well as a very loyal Astra Militarum regiment.

Looks like a good experiment to me, how high/thick is it? Hard to tell from these pictures but generally I think details shouldn't be too thick as it looks odd.

And to answer this question rather belatedly, it's thicker than I'd like, maybe .125" or a little more. I doubt I'll actually be using the smaller fleur because of this, but I still may use the larger one.

and shoulder pads will make it look a lot more Marine-y.

This was my thinking. Smaller shoulders would emphasize that the Cardinal is wearing human sized TDA.

I'll have to stare at some dry-fit variations, but in the mean time I'll finish the body.

And Emperor forbid I do anything to distract from or minimize the size of the hat.

• 2 months later...

Because I got tired of borrowing Rhinos from my Chaos Space Marines, I went out and got two Rhino kits the other day. The holiday gave me some time to work on it, and now it's done:

gallery_53134_10809_172263.jpg

gallery_53134_10809_136932.jpg

Every time I see a picture of my hardlining I think it looks like crap, but on the table it really stands out in a good way and you can't see how crappy it is, so I guess I'm going to keep doing it.

The thing I'm most pleased with is the OML logo, and also that I've figure out how easy free-handing fleurs are (the one the one on the back ramp isn't that great.)

Maybe there's some touch up here and there I can and should do, but let's be honest, I'm not going to.

Because I got tired of borrowing Rhinos from my Chaos Space Marines, I went out and got two Rhino kits the other day. The holiday gave me some time to work on it, and now it's done:

gallery_53134_10809_172263.jpg

gallery_53134_10809_136932.jpg

Every time I see a picture of my hardlining I think it looks like crap, but on the table it really stands out in a good way and you can't see how crappy it is, so I guess I'm going to keep doing it.

Can we get a pic of in on the table? I have several models that are like that (look crappy up close but super legit at arms length).

• 2 months later...

Nothing finished, but after a long period of coming home from work and sleeping instead of pretty much anything else useful, I've made some progress.

Should have Celestine done next weekend:

gallery_53134_10809_40126.jpg

If anybody has any input on her lower robes, I'd love to hear it. I'm trying to go by the GW website, but it only shows a front view, and I'm thinking it looks weird to have the middle bit of cloth red and the rest of it white. Also painting this thing after I already put it together was probably a mistake.

Battle Sister Squad 1 WIP:

gallery_53134_10809_21639.jpg

Battle Sister Squad 2 WIP:

gallery_53134_10809_46941.jpg

Repainting my Heavy Bolter Retributor Squad 1 (white robes to red) from my older DIY scheme:

gallery_53134_10809_84753.jpg

Also in the construction/primered stages:

Ecclesiarchal Land Raider - mostly assembled, just need to magnetize the sponsons and put some bling on it from Immolator kits. Maybe I will also ebay the regular LR weapons too, but I went with the Crusader/Redeemer variant as the base.

Two Rhinos, and two Immolators built and primed.

Also my two new Dominion squads cleaned up, mounted, and primered.

I may give in and buy the proper Exorcist kits instead of using my Whirlwind based conversions for my next build projects, but that is a thing for next month. I decided this morning that when collecting Sisters there is no time like the present, and sent off for my first Exorcist kit. If it does nothing else it will replace the Immolator turret parts that I used in my Avenger conversion so I will be able to have the minimum number of Immolators I think I need (4).

So tired, but I like seeing the army start coming together finally.